Real winter Liveaboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a properly vented propane fireplace in the main salon which keeps that and the galley 70-degrees, a Wallas 40Dt forced air diesel heater below decks which keeps the three staterooms at 65-68-degrees (and keeps the engine room warm, too), and we apply shrink plastic on the main salon windows which really helps keep the heat in and prevents condensation. We have a single AC ceramic heater for spot heating below decks if it dips into the mid-20s. However, in the event of a power outage, we don't skip a beat.

For just heating purposes we burn an average of 30 gallons of diesel per month, and use an average of 14 gallons of propane per month. So we're around $110/mo (electricity is included in our slip fee) to keep the boat warm and dry all winter, 24/7.

Man, there has been a lot of whining from down there. Wind, rain, and now snow. :angel:

IMG_2018.jpg

[emoji51]

You need to write a book:)

Does the boat rise with enough ice at waterline? :eek:

I don’t know see a difference with snow load or ice around the boat. If I put 1000 pounds on the boat it changes around an inch at water line. Normally next to the boat the ice is not that save to walk on if you have snow on it I have had a foot get wet. I normally like snow on the boat it is free insulation. The most annoying problem is if the boat starts bump the ice when you sleep!

Fun; you must be in a calm marina. The lakes, big and small, here heave ice all over, including on shore and anything not of massive concrete and steel can get trashed.

Fun; you must be in a calm marina. The lakes, big and small, here heave ice all over, including on shore and anything not of massive concrete and steel can get trashed.

I have 12 in pilings in front and behind me at my dock. I would not want to be exposed to a long fetch of ice I would not stay there at any price. The boat suffer the most in the fall when the gales put a 3 ft swell into the marina before ice up. The ice can get up to 18 inches on a cold winter.

funangler, My son lived aboard just across from you for several years, in his MT 34. I've been aboard your vessel several times. My son was the station commander for the Army recruiting station there in Erie. He was always quite comfortable in the winter. I helped him set his boat up for cold weather, as I had lived aboard for 3 years in Fairhaven, MA on our 424 Pearson ketch back in '93 to '96. Ben

funangler, My son lived aboard just across from you for several years, in his MT 34. I've been aboard your vessel several times. My son was the station commander for the Army recruiting station there in Erie. He was always quite comfortable in the winter. I helped him set his boat up for cold weather, as I had lived aboard for 3 years in Fairhaven, MA on our 424 Pearson ketch back in '93 to '96. Ben

I remember him, my wife now demands the boat come out for the winter less worries and expense. She really hated me checking on the boat during the gales.

Last edited:
My AT34 comes with 2 installed electric heaters. One in the fwd stateroom, one in the saloon. I have a portable ceramic heater and then the 2 reverse cycle AC/heat. Even if I turn on all the 12vt compartment fans to stir up the air, I really doubt all my stuff would keep me warm up there.

I remember him, my wife now demands the boat come out for the winter less worries and expense.

I can't think of many things more lonely than a boat yard in the winter.
I suspect some boats might never see water again.

Oh goodie, now I am classified as a 'guru'. I am guessing that is because of the number of posts I made and not on the quality of my posts.

Oh goodie, now I am classified as a 'guru'. I am guessing that is because of the number of posts I made and not on the quality of my posts.

Congrats! Lol. I'm still a lowly Senior Member......

I like oil filled radiant heaters on there own dedicated power line. One In the forward section of the boat and one aft. The whole boat was spray foamed when redid and I don’t need much power. When you have a lot of snow the ice does not get very thick around the hull my hull is steel and I didn’t care about ice.

FunAngler: Have you ever shrinkwrapped your boat? I've noticed a few liveaboards in my area have wrapped their boats for the winter months.

With a 30 amp boat, I have to get creative when it comes to heating the boat.
I have 2 built in resistant heaters. Turn them on and dont even think of cooking.

Shrink wrapping has an advantages but it is expensive and claustrophobic. It really depends on the boat. You are hard-pressed not to burn your power panel with only one 30 amp cord. It’s better to wire a dedicated cord and power distribution panel for your heating needs. When that fails you have a backup power source.

Winter is finally here, the folks in NYC and north of Boston are getting ready for a storm.

If the storm knocks out power for a couple of days , please post how, and how well you fared.

The next wannabee group of livaboards can use the input.

With a 30 amp boat, I have to get creative when it comes to heating the boat.
I have 2 built in resistant heaters. Turn them on and dont even think of cooking.

In FL?

I was just on our boat down near Myrtle Beach for an overnight, air temps 27°F, water temps 46-48°F... and just using the reverse cycle heating made it toasty inside.

-Chris

Correct Chris.... last night I had 2 reverse cycles going and not challenging the 30 amp dock power at all (18 amps with various little ac loads) and pumping out 15,000 btus.

But 2 space heaters (10500 buts and pulling probably 26 amps) and anything else might trip the dock breaker and many older places, it aint on the dock so resetting it is a crap shoot. So I dont take a chance.

And if you leave the water heater on for a morning shower and it kicks on or you start the coffee without shutting off a space heater, again...... not good.

Plus...when its 30 out, 60 degrees inside feels toasty..... here in FL, unless its 75 insde, it isnt toasty quite yet.... :socool:

Heck, better than the marina across the creek. That pkace also costs a fortune and didnt have power on the docks and the laundry was still hurricaneified. Typical Keys. :)

Last edited:
:thumb: Air temp @ 630am 25 degrees, thin ice out to the ends of all docks but my two 16000 btu heat pumps still working. Also managing amps since my two 450 watt Xtreme bilge heaters kicking on and off. Looking for warmup starting Sunday.

In FL?

I was just on our boat down near Myrtle Beach for an overnight, air temps 27°F, water temps 46-48°F... and just using the reverse cycle heating made it toasty inside.

-Chris

Define 'toasty', please??

Plus...when its 30 out, 60 degrees inside feels toasty..... here in FL, unless its 75 insde, it isnt toasty quite yet.... :socool:

Define 'toasty', please??

Heh... good point about frame of reference. It was 27"F outside there at the time, and it's 22°F outside here just now, so maybe "toasty" might have meant anything above 50-ish. :)

But actually I had our boat systems up to about 68°F inside, too warm to sleep, had to turn them down for the overnight...

-Chris

The question was,

"If the storm knocks out power for a couple of days , please post how, and how well you fared."

Folks NORTH of NY can have power failures during winter snow events, that can last for days or a week as getting a marina back on line is not a priority.

With a 240/50 power hose there is plenty of heating available (if you are not charged for the electric) .

But the question remains , in hard cold with no juice , how is it going?

Not live aboard but last winter we got a snow storm with heavy wind and lost power for 3 days. At -15C I was fortunate to have 2 genset (my baby one from the boat and a second bigger one) so I was able to keep heating the house and more important to watch TV lol. Most difficult was gasoline as even gas station lost power so almost none were functioning and the ones that were were assaulted by guys like me. But at the end it is just good memories and stories to tell :)

L

I am fortunate because this marina is on the same leg as the hospital up the block so we were an accidental priority. We were out for about 24 hours. Some areas were out for a week.

I am a year round liveaboard and shrink wrap my upper flybridge to my aft sundeck top. I will not block the windows as radiant heat through them is a huge freebee. Point your bow towards the south to get the most solar time possible. Shrink wrap helps with snow removal and some thermal benefit up top.

I'd queue up my typical FL comment but the pictures look pretty cozy.

I prefer 50 degrees over 80.

Well, FF, Lots of extensive power-off up the eastern seaboard this winter... The ones who suffered are silent, the ones who can defend against a dead power hose are being polite and not gloating?

RB

The question was,

"If the storm knocks out power for a couple of days , please post how, and how well you fared."

Folks NORTH of NY can have power failures during winter snow events, that can last for days or a week as getting a marina back on line is not a priority.

With a 240/50 power hose there is plenty of heating available (if you are not charged for the electric) .

But the question remains , in hard cold with no juice , how is it going?

I am a year round liveaboard and shrink wrap my upper flybridge to my aft sundeck top. I will not block the windows as radiant heat through them is a huge freebee. Point your bow towards the south to get the most solar time possible. Shrink wrap helps with snow removal and some thermal benefit up top.

TJM, we didn't wrap at all this winter and saw a lot of our varnish go to crap - it may have already been neglected from the PO (we just bought the boat). We're thinking about wrapping just the bridge next year like you did. Why did you decide to do the bridge? Also, do you have much exterior teak? How do you take care of it?
I'm just up the coast in Boston.

When we first got the boat 5 yrs ago I sanded all of the varnish off because it was a hodge podge of patchwork and peeling. I use cetol on it and make sure it never gets down to wood again. Scotch brite and recoat every year with a coat or two and it has been fine. As far as the shrink, I did not want to block to view or thermal benefit from the windows. We use the fly bridge as winter storage for food, cushions, etc...
It takes a little creativity to make it look good and work but after 4 yrs we have it done to a science on where to attach the belly bands.

Well, FF, Lots of extensive power-off up the eastern seaboard this winter... The ones who suffered are silent, the ones who can defend against a dead power hose are being polite and not gloating?

RB

When Irma came though (I stayed onboard) 'my' marina area, every boat lost power along with the multi million dollar high rise an low rises condos. Not to gloat, The fridge is 12vt. I stayed on the 1500 watt inverter, powered the micro- wave, made coffee and watched TV. 3X200 amp house batteries and 2x130watt solar panels. When it was all over, I still had a fair amount of usable amps in the house batteries, thanks to being careful and the solar panels.

I could have started the generator, turned on all the lights, cooked up a couple nice hot meals, run the two A/C but, I didn't. Why? LOL My boat can sleep 2 comfortably and if necessary, 2 more in the saloon. I think if it was too obvious that I was living the good life, I would have had lots of company. LOL The nights were cool enough so the A/C was not missed.

Because we are on the same leg as the hospital, we were only out of power for about 24-36 hrs. So I only 'semi-roughed' it. Sometimes the boaters just get lucky that way.

I am pretty sure I was the only person to ride out Irma. In hindsight, it was a "okay" experience because I lived through it and put out extra line and fenders (every extra fenders I owned) and adjusted the lines as necessary. I questioned my sanity twice but only for a second. That "twice" ..... well, it was too windy to leave the boat.

As I told folks, "If I die, I die. I have lived a long and exciting life. I have been to place and seen things that few people experience but if the boat sinks, I'll be pissed." Would I do it again, why not. Only my life is at stake. The boat is insured for more than I am.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom