Ready to start a new life as a livaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps the best litmus test would be to rent one on a lake for a week. Even if you do not move it you would have some idea what life might have in store for you.

Look at go on and rent in the worse weather. There are far more live a board in the nice wrather, not many year around. Humidity condensation in thre boat is usually a concern problem. Its the cold rainy, windy winter months more do not make it through.

Being a live a board is not easy, and is expensive than living on the dirt. This surprises most newbies:eek:

Edit: One thing that has not been mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is finding a location that even allows living aboard. Yet another thing to consider...

Meant to add that, too. JJ: many marinas don't allow liveaboards at all, some only after personal inspection (of both you and your boat), some do but charge an extra fee... and so forth. As you develop ideas on candidate locations, you could at the same time see what likely marinas might be useful in that area. You can review threads here for ideas, because the "where?" question has been asked before. Then you can also check activecaptain.com for reviews on specific marinas.

However, I don't understand what the reason I want to live full time on a boat has anything to do with anything. Can you explain why that's important?

Different boats -- with different systems aboard -- answer the "why?" better than others... so it sometimes depends on what the "why?" is. Knowing that in turn makes it easier to help you focus on the types of boats that might speak best to your intentions.

If you look at everyone's avatar, for example, you'll see lots of boats that could (and maybe already do) qualify for living aboard... but many do that in much different ways... to meet the needs of individual owners and their intent.

Of course, then there's RT's avatar...

:)

-Chris

Last edited:
Because your reason for wanting to do it has a very direct relationship to what boat and where would make sense as well as to whether you'll end up being happy doing it and find it meets your expectations.

Reasons we choose to do things correlate to how it works out for us.

Good luck with your plans.

That is the exact answer to your question and DO NOT disregard it. We are not trying to pry into your personal business. How you plan on USING the boat will determine the type of boat you should consider. The biggest failure of any boat buying experience is the distance between expectations(the dream) and reality. If those two things are far apart, your venture will be a failure. If those two things are in line with each other, then your venture will have a good chance of being a success. All we are trying to do is get an idea of your expectations...hence this pervading question. If we get an idea of your expectations, then we can give you REAL answers. Until then, we are just shooting(a shotgun no less) in the dark.

Another very important point that BandB brings up is "passion". The vast majority of us on here are VERY passionate about boating. I am getting ready to have to go to work on a PERFECT 75 degree cloudless day and the only thing I can think about is being on my boat. That PASSION is what has got us to this point in our boating careers. Our boats and what we do with them are an integral part of who we are. Being an airline pilot(probably like a doctor or a lawyer or anything that requires dues to be paid), the main thing that has got me to this point in my career is the passion I have for the career. There is no way in hell I would be here if it was just a flippant thought of a career choice. It is an integral part of who I am and the only way one would succeed on this career path.

Just something to think about.... Most of us have got here through a natural progression of boats and boating. Many of us it has been a part of our entire lives. I am not saying you should not try. I am just saying that question above is a very important one...

Look at go on and rent in the worse weather. :

And rent the smallest and oldest rental you can find as it comes closest to what you'll be buying. You won't learn by renting an 85x16, but by renting a 32x12 you might.

I live aboard because I love it. I love being on the boat, I love walking up and down the dock, I love waking up in the morning and drinking coffee while looking out at the marina or anchorage. Most of the time, I even enjoy working on the boat.

What don't I love? The cost of maintaining the boat in seaworthy condition is high. The lack of storage space can be a problem if you have other hobbies. Mail can be a hassle to deal with. The 30 amp dance. Dealing with the sanitation system.

There are several types of liveaboards I've observed...does one of these fit you?

The Dock Queen. A comfortable boat filled with stuff, not ready to go to sea. Basically a waterfront condo. The owners haven't left the dock in years.

The Cheapskate. Often adventuresome young people priced out of the real estate market and eager to try "tiny living". Typically a ~30 foot sailboat. Normally this group lives aboard for a relatively short time before realizing that living aboard isn't as romantic as they thought. Something about cold winters, condensation, long walks to the marina shower, etc.

The Boat Lover. They can't remember a time in their life without a boat. They can't imagine life without a boat. They are often working on boat projects, perhaps getting ready for their "someday" trip.

The Cruiser. Always on the move. The boat is ready to go to sea at any time. They might not even have a permanent moorage arrangement.

I'm a mix between "The Boat Lover" and "The Cruiser" and living aboard is working for me.

Other thoughts...

My boat (~40 feet long, 13 feet wide) is pretty comfortable as a one-person livaboard. It has a queen bed, good heat, a stall shower, a refrigerator and freezer, a gas range, a small guest room. But everything is tiny compared to a house or apartment—the floor space in the head is probably only a few square feet, my stateroom is not much bigger than the bed inside it, the galley/salon (kitchen/living room) is about the same size as a typical suburban bathroom. For similar annual money—probably more $$ up front, but much less in maintenance—I could have a much more spacious condo in the city. Why do I choose to live on the boat, then? Passion for boats and being on the water.

Logistics...Will you need a car? Where will you park it? Where will you get your mail? Where will you live when your boat is hauled out for maintenance? What will you do with sewage? Can you absorb large unexpected expenses?

Are you overwhelmed yet???? You probably never thought living aboard would be so complicated. But the "complications" you are hearing are from successful liveaboards...the ones that live in "reality". The ones that marinas have no problems with. The people that go in blind don't last long...because of all of these complications are a rude awakening. I guess coming on here and asking these questions is a good start.

Another thing....while you may be single now, it is quite likely you could attract a significant other somewhere along the way. Something to keep in mind.

Actually on a boat...not sure there are any pros living on salt over cons.

Other than location, the types of food you can catch over the side and onboard sewage disposal to a point...the salt environment can be harsher on the boat.

OTOH, you can often go places. If you want to.

:)

-Chris

$50k per year likely = less expensive boat
less expensive boat likely = toilet with holding tank (instead of system such as Lectrasan)
Holding tank = frequently waste pump-outs

That for me would probably be the deal killer. My last boat had a holding tank and I tried not to use it too much so that I wouldn't have to pump out all the time. My new one has a fancy toilet where I don't have to worry about it!

Seriously, that needs to be a consideration before you sign up to live aboard. I agree with the others that suggest renting first.

Have you considered going somewhere you think you might like to live and renting a houseboat for 2-3 weeks to get a taste of what it would be like to have no other home to go to? A week wouldn't be long enough...you need to experience what it's like to run out of fresh water because you forgot to refill the tank...toilets that flush into a tank (NOT the same tank!) that has to be pumped out instead of going overboard or into a sewer...carrying a load of groceries down a wet slippery dock in a downpour... And those are just the FUN parts of living aboard! :D

Greetings,
Mr. 89. I agree with the rental of a small boat for an extended period of time for a trial BUT you could probably experience the same by:

1) Pick the largest closet in your house and clean it out well.

2) Into the now empty closet place a telephone (a cell will do), well used contents of a gym bag, a recently used gas can (empty but open), two loaves of bread (nope, you're NOT going to eat these, it's the least expensive source of mold for the experiment), an electric space heater, a radio set between stations (for the static) on low volume, an alarm clock set to go off at random times, a 1 gallon milk jug filled with water with several pin holes in the bottom, a bucket of gravel distributed evenly over all of the above items and your bedding or a sleeping bag.

3) Cover all of the above with a folding card table upon which you will place the empty gas can, the leaky milk jug (be sure and re-fill it on a regular basis), the space heater and the radio-both set on random timers. (hint: you will be sleeping under the table).

4) Take all of the light bulbs in your house out.

5) Every four or five days, throw a tray of ice cubes onto the table.

6) Do all your washing-up in the back yard with your garden hose in a bucket. Shower and shave there as well. Use cold water.

7) Have a neighbor call you on the phone at random times every 4 or 5 days and yell "Your boat is sinking!" or "Hurricane!". At such times you will be required to get up and run around your house 5X in underwear and bare feet. IF you happen to be away from your house you must return home and perform the above exercise.

8) Turn off the water supply to your toilet and refill with a bucket after flushing. Bucket must be filled from garden hose.

9) Live in your closet for a month with the door closed.

IF you can do this, you can easily live aboard.

That's FUNNY, RT, bit I think you're confusing a houseboat with a sailboat. (One of my favorite definitions of sailboat living compares taking a shower to locking yourself in a very small closet with a very wet dog!

Houseboats are essentially floating mobile homes. Newer ones can actually be quite luxurious--and also have quite luxurious price tags! Older ones are considerably more spartan, but also have much more spartan price tags. Renting 40-60' RV and living in it for 3-4 weeks would be close enough to to houseboat living to give him an idea of what it would be like.

Hey RTF and Peggy, you both forget about the bag of money and the paper shredder...where you shred at least 1 one hundred dollar bill a day....on top of all known expenses!!!!

The person who came up with
B.
reak O.ut A.nother T.housand
definitely had to be an owner.

I don't think JJ has clarified whether he really means what we think of as a houseboat... or just a boat of some sort where he can live aboard?

-Chris

I thought I'd add a few thoughts since I find myself in a situation similar to that of jj89. Late last year I suddenly found myself with plenty of time, enough money, and the freedom to shake things up. Living aboard and cruising has been a romantic notion of mine for years, but my interest has come and gone in waves. I suppose that's partly due to lack of freedom and opportunity to give it a try, but I have to admit my passion hasn't been complete and continuous.

When I realized this was actually something I could do *right now*, I started researching boats. I was ready to fly to LAX to look at that beautiful Kadey Krogen 42 "Stout" when I decided to slow down and take a more measured approach. The thought of wasting gobs of cash by buying, maybe fixing and outfitting, and then selling a boat after I decide this isn't for me was daunting. I decided I needed a trial run.

I instead bought a 19' x 8' travel trailer and moved in. I'm two months in and loving every minute of it. I am now convinced that the small space suits me fine, and I'm learning what I need and what I can live without. I can certainly live without a house, and I feel absolutely liberated now that it doesn't demand my attention. In fairness, a condo would give me the same feeling.

The next step is to charter a couple of boats. I'm thinking a skippered boat so I can have someone show me what it's like to manage and maintain the boat. I'll even charter a sailboat to confirm my preference for a trawler.

Finally, there's the "stuff." I'm about the same age as jj89, so I imagine he also has some "stuff." My "stuff" includes antique furniture from my family, so I won't ever be without storage ashore. The cost is minimal and it allows me to reconfigure my floating "stuff" to meet my lifestyle needs.

To jj89 I say go for it. If you're not convinced it's for you, consider a trial run in an RV or a travel trailer. The systems are similar, particularly in their limitations. The cost of changing your mind will likely be five or ten times cheaper than changing your mind about a boat. Another advantage is living in the RV or trailer as you go around looking at boats. I think that will take some time pressures off of me when I am ready. Good luck!

Its already been mentioned to live in a small trailer RV. We live 6 month on the boat in the pnw warmer summer months and 6 month in our 35 ft motor home down south in the colder winter months. Both are very some what the same as they both of limited space, storage, water, sanitation, refrigeration, heat, rock/move and sounf the same in the weather, have very little insulstion. Of course you will have to walk around the rv park to simulate walking the dock to the boat.

if you can live in a rv for a long period of time, you might be able to be a live aboard. We have had very little problems switching from one to the other. The only thing I miss with the rv is having a boat as we are towing a vehicle. So occasionally have to go on on or rent one.

" If you're not convinced it's for you, consider a trial run in an RV or a travel trailer. The systems are similar, particularly in their limitations."

One of the delights of boating that can not easily be sampled in a camper is the delight of living on the hook. (anchored out)

No neighbors equals no compromises , no noisy dock parties , or any other hassles.

Boats ventilate well when set free of the dock , so just being in some pretty place as nature rotates the boat with wind or tide is a delight.

The hard part is having a great std of living , heat is easy , but refrigeration is always an expensive hassle.

One can easily live "off grid", my 50 ft launch has no noisemaker or dockside AC power hose , and we can live easily noise & stench free for a 6 month summer on the hook.

With a dink for supplies and an occasional dockside for water and poop pump out.

The cost is minor as long as you don't require air cond or sat TV.

Campers are frequently 20 ft apart, weekdays in many places you will "own" the harbor.

Last edited:
What else would be pertinent to helping me make a decision? This is good stuff, guys (and girls). Keep it coming![/QUOTE]

Peace and quiet. Bunch of friends in marina. You can say "hey" to a stranger and do not get beat up or shot.

Peace and quiet. Bunch of friends in marina. You can say "hey" to a stranger and do not get beat up or shot.

That is a good point. People living aboard generally have similar interests so you are likely to bond more quickly than your neighbors in a dirt house. I have made life long friends from boat neighbors. I don't think I can say that about the neighbors in my dirt neighborhood. Everyone in my dirt neighborhood is ......."weird"!!!!!

That is a good point. People living aboard generally have similar interests so you are likely to bond more quickly than your neighbors in a dirt house. I have made life long friends from boat neighbors. I don't think I can say that about the neighbors in my dirt neighborhood. Everyone in my dirt neighborhood is ......."weird"!!!!!
Yup my dirt neighbors are weird also.

Back
Top Bottom