Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards

Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #21
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Why aren't sundeck boats being discussed?
I would think living space aboard would be priority #1. coastal adventures."

Seems to me a sundeck, Manatee or something similar would be far more appropriate than a GB. And I like GBs. Some people live on sailboats and that seems just this side of nuts to me but the people like sailboats and don't think of anything else. But I'd be surf'in Yacht World for (as FF puts it) a "roomeran" (sp?).
Drakes DF 50 is a Sundeck - this is a current and popular model. Almost identical to my DF 48 except on the 48 the side decks go all around. GB made several Sundeck models as well.

But for the money the OP is willing to spend all these are out of reach. A vintage SeaRay or Carver gasser may be the best price bet.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #22
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post
I do not have a GB but our CHB Europa, similar to the GB 46' gives us a nice balance of entertainment space and potential live aboard room. My wife says "no" to any boat that has limited windows in the living space.
My first serious look at a CHB Europa was in Angoon, AK a few years ago. We were staying at Whalers Cove Lodge when a 45' CHB Europa anchored in the bay. I met the owner and he graciously offered to show his boat to me. To this day, I think that if I were to buy an older boat for the reasons the OP stated , the 45 CHB would be at the top of my list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHB 45.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	40187   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHB 45-3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	40188  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
I agree about the chb, but having restored an mt I don't think I'd live long enough to recore something that big :-)
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member
City: Salt Lake City, UT
Vessel Name: Kia Orana
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
All boats are compromises. Different designs have their pluses and minuses. We decided to buy our 2nd boat first. We spent our spare time and vacations looking at boats for about two years. A year ago we bought a 2000 Bayliner 4788 pilot house sedan style with covered cockpit. It met most everything we were looking for and we kind of felt the brand and design was a very good value. It's a wash and wear kind of boat with a "low" maintenance exterior. In my opinion, it's a Chevy/Ford/Dodge quality level. It's not a Lexus. It seems to be a capable coastal cruiser. We plan to take it from the SF Bay Area to Alaska in the next few years. We love the size, performance, layout, design and livability. It works for us, our family and friends. The biggest negative for us is no true walk around berth in the bow. Bayliners Owners Club has a motor yacht group that is quite active and a good source of info. Hope this helps.
woodsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #25
City: Fort Myers
If you are mostly talking live a board you have a ton of options as many large older boats (Hatt, Chris Craft, Tolly etc) would make great choices. The truth is, once you start living on it at a dock, the boat quickly becomes a home and as a friend of mine says "you don't take your house out for a ride do you" when asked when was the last time he took it out?
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #26
This is an old string, but I looked at an older GB some years ago which had a bottom covered in big nasty blisters (being repaired). That same boat had leaking fuel tanks, which were being removed through a large hole that was cut in the salon ceiling. Things to consider for a survey.

As for other boats that might fill the bill...try Ocean Alexander. Arguably the most consistent and best quality among the Taiwan boats, and the Monk hulls were consciously designed with an eye toward efficiency. Great floor plans and stunning joinery. We live aboard for four months. Spouse says it's like living inside a finely crafted wooden music box (albeit a very spacious one). Systems and fixtures are all high quality. OA is still in business for a reason.

go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote