Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #21

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
Good point to switch it off while underway. Never thought about doing that but makes sense. I can barely hear it my pump without the engines running..but then again I don't hear very well anyway. I think that is a very good idea while traveling.
I think not so, i will wash my hand and face when y use the bathroom underway.
My installation:
A little panel with lamp for the 5 bilge pumps and all bilge pumps are connected with one alarm ( truckreverse) and a timer. When one bilge pump works more then 30 second the alarm goes on. The alarm is strong i heare this on the fly or on ather point in the boat.

supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I run a single engine trawler through some pretty tight situations for 4 months every winter...

If I'm that paranoid about my fresh water system and pump...I think I would go crazy applying the same logic to my engine!!!!

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Bringing the boat home, we anchored out for one night. The next morning all three batteries, including the "dedicated" genset start battery, where dead. Turns out a plastic fitting at the water heater had broken during the night causing the pressure pump to dumping the fresh water into the bilge and then the bilge pump dumping it overboard. Never did hear the pumps running.

This experience also pointed out the problem of having only electric heads. Four people on board and Towboat four hours away.

Then genset start battery now is a "dedicated" battery.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Guru

wow! do you have one of those giant "Paragon" setups at 30-50 amp fusing? Regular old little fresh water pumps that most under 50' boats use draw less than 5 amps....guess that added to fridge and ???? ran down 3 batteries....

I'll be rethinking my battery setup for all these just in case deals.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #25

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I turn off the pump's electrical circuit when leaving the boat at the marina. I turn off everything except the bilge pumps, 110AC inlet, charger, and refrigerator.
That's what we do too
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Other than all of the batteries being connected together, neither alternator was charging so that by the time we got to the anchorage the batteries were probably already half dead.

The next day we continued on after getting a jump start from Towboat and half way to out next destination the chartplotter and VHF quit due to low voltage. When we got to the marina we couldn't shut down the engines because there was not enough juice to operate the stop solenoids.

How the PO ever used this boat is a complete mystery.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #27

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I also turn off everything not to be used or needed. Why take a chance. Bilge pump, battery charger and ice box. the rest is off. I only turn hot water heater on when I know I am going to need it.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I turn our fresh water pump, and water heater off if leaving the boat overnight.

Dont want to come back to a empty tank, burned out pump, and or burned out water heater if a pipe has an issue, or something of the sorts.

Had a selonoid go out on a vaccuflush head once that flooded a head compartment. Fortunately is is a fiberglass sealed floor with a high lip so was no big deal, but if we hadnt caught it the cabin spaces floor could have gotten pretty wet.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Sitting here in the saloon, reading this thread, trying to decide if I disagree with Psneeld (just this once) or not. I hear a muffled "clunk" and then a low rumble like a pump. Jump up, no bilge pumps running on my boat, or the boats around me. Open the engine compartment hatch and the sound gets louder. Poke my head down and I can see water spewing from a popped connection just after the potable water pump.

Some stupid PO left me a bunch of odd-ball connections between different hose types. The one that let go was just a plastic hose slid over another plastic hose, held on with a clamp.

I just bought an accumulator tank that I plan to put in that exact spot, replacing the "connection" that gave way.

This is kinda spooky.

Speaking of idiot POs, Bob, I had a similar situation to yours. A smart PO had a professional do a total re-wire of the whole boat, including installing a battery combiner for all three banks. Very nice job. Some idiot PO since then had hard-wired the combiner to be always "on", connecting all three banks. Took me a while to find the offending misplaced connection.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My leaving-the-boat-at-the-marina settings:

The bilge pump switches are on the helmsman's engine panel, set to "automatic."
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you have decent bilge pumps...it takes awhile to sink a boat from a hose.

While I agree that fresh water should be turned over regularly...fearng city water is just not rational.

5 times in the last several years I have had a hot water hose break with nearly 100 psi dock pressure (that's why the hoses were breaking along with that it was spare but cheaper hose). The 1000gph bilge pump always maintained the bilge level so low that the second bilge pump never came on and sounded the alarm....even on overnight hose breaks and maybe longer.

While being careful is important, fear comes from a boating community with little real world experience....and it gets passed along as urban legend by mouth and internet now.

After 11 years in the towing/salvage business....I'll bet I have worked on at least 200 at the dock sinkings...not one of them was from a dock hose left on that filled the boat.

I lost count of how many vessels I have "unsunk". I have also lost count of how many vessels have had issues with auto pumps that failed , plugged up. or a fuse dropped.

To suggest that there should be no fear of plugging a vessel into a endless supply of water at 100 psi ? Into a system not designed for that?

Just makes me go HMMMMMMMMMM.

Just sayin.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sunk for some time in our marina:

You'd think they'd at least salvage the sails.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
I lost count of how many vessels I have "unsunk". I have also lost count of how many vessels have had issues with auto pumps that failed , plugged up. or a fuse dropped.

To suggest that there should be no fear of plugging a vessel into a endless supply of water at 100 psi ? Into a system not designed for that?

Just makes me go HMMMMMMMMMM.

Just sayin.
Just calling'em like I see them..out of all the sunk boats I have dealt with (11 years salvage business)...none were because of a fresh water hose to city water. Not saying that it can't happen...and I recommend turning it off when away for a couple hours....

It's just that so many use their tanks (which has it's advantages too)...but one should not be fearful of plugging into city water. It should be regulated where it enters your boat (a normal situation but not guaranteed on all boats). Even a burst hose will take a day or two with just one wimpy bilge pump working let alone several pumps and batteries on a battery charger.....maybe a hose that has popped off will be worse but still not fatal right away for a properly outfitted boat...

If you are cruising or living aboard and around the boat every day....fear of the city water system just means you don't know or trust your boat and maybe a little maintenance is in order.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #34
FF
Guru

If you are cruising or living aboard and around the boat every day....fear of the city water system just means you don't know or trust your boat and maybe a little maintenance is in order.

Some folks live in harder winter areas where tank water is the norm as hoses have to be left in (usually) the marina shower to be thawed .

Once your tanks are the norm its no big deal to never user a pressure from the dock setup.

Esp cruising where some docks have water that seems recycled from a public pool .

Always a delight to finally taste good water , and then refill the FW tanks.

There are 120v and 12v solenoid valves should someone be too lazy to secure a faucet at the dock.

The RV store will have pressure regulators ($35 for the rebuildable unit) that will reduce the pressure to boat limits , some places are over 100PSI at the dock, most than most plastic tubing will take.

For washing machines there are devices that allow modest water use , but shut down at a blown hose situation that are only $10 at a real plumbing supply .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Thread creep, we are now on city water hook up.

For years when I am in a marina I have used a standard garden house timer that turns off the water flow after 200 gallons of flow. Thus once a week I have to reset the timer, but in the event a hose breaks inside the boat I am only at risk for 200 gallons. In addition I use a standard boat inlet/regulator which drops the pressure down.

Marty

Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote