Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

City: CA
Potential Live Aboard Couple ?'s

My wife and I are having serious discussions regarding attempting to try the LiveAboard lifestyle for at least a year, in the PNW, most likely based out of Anacortes. We want to be near our adult children and are tired of the politics and entitlements in CA.

That being written here goes.

My first concern as my user name indicates I am very, very, very tall.
It is a part of my everyday life that I duck doorways all day long. But most buildings ceilings allow me to walk normal.

We are interested in a 35 foot Trawler style boat. I like the Defever and the Nordhavns. What ceiling height might I expect? This answer may prevent me from even going shopping.

If traveling from Anacortes to say Seward and planning to take a month to do it, would you fully provision the boat prior to departure? Take on full fuel or fuel up several times en route?

Are there boat clubs that travel together?
What do they have in common beside the boat?

What do our Canadian friends think of my handguns on their shores?

What do you do with your mail?
Bills?
Medicine prescriptions?

My wife and I are minimalists, we know what we need and are able to live without what we want. (Energy conservation, cold, wind, wet, we adapt)
Don't like running out of wine though.

With the proper permits can you fish, crab en route?

If this discussion is allowed here I am certain I will have more questions.

Thank you,
BigJim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Whoa! Forget the handgun!! World of trouble and consequences. If you wish to travel armed then Canada will not frown to badly on a shotgun. If you still desire to have a handgun, ship it via Northland Freight to Ketchikan ($35.00 current minimum rate)and as you provision in Ketchikan you can retrieve it and then on the South bound leg, ship it again.The barge lines have no problem holding your package. This is the method I use to move my conceal carry weapon to and from Seattle.
I pack a large handgun when I am exploring fish creeks during spawning season. If you are that type of explorer then a good move to ship the gun up and back.

There passes our home here in Ketchikan, many "Group" flotilla. How they form up I have no idea maybe as they travel and gather in anchorages. Bet others on this forum will jump in. I do know that there is a couple of Grand Bank outfits that lease their boats that are in charter arrangement or for sale.

Provisions/fuel are not a problem anywhere on the Alaska coast and can't believe that it would be a problem in Canada.

You can purchase period license. one day-through seasonal. cost reflected I have no actual knowledge, but seems to not be a problem as many actively fish

Wine time with an Alaskan sunset will leave you speechless, of course, one has to work up to the sunset as the summer evenings tend to be elongated.
cracking the crab and hordy hores are always in order!

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest even more welcome to visit our vast and quite harbors of Alaska.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Be careful, Jim- once you step onboard, you may never want to live on dirt again....

Lots of questions- here's my take on things:

Tallness- there are boats out there that have a 6'6" or better headroom. My stepson is 6'4", and has no problem on our boat. The first place to start is Yachtworld and sites like these, then hit a boat show or walk some docks and sample some boats in person.

Travel- we provision as we go- Canada has some stipulation as to what can be imported, and we work within those constraints. We also fill the tank before we depart, and fuel as necessary based on itinerary. There are plenty of places for food and fuel as you head north.

Boat clubs- there are some. Our club does an annual trip to the Gulf Islands.

Guns and Canada- Generally speaking, handguns are verboten in BC, and possession can lead to serious legal consequences. Best to leave them at home, in storage, or with a trusted friend.

Mail- ours goes to am PO box that will forward if requested. Bills are handled online. So far, we have no meds to worry about.

Fishing/crabbing- yes. WA has some crazy regulations you'll want to be aware of. Canada also has its regulations, I find them nowhere near as restrictive as Washington's.

It's a great lifestyle- we've done it for over 4 years, and thoroughly enjoy it. You already have the biggest challenge tackled- stuff. Less does equal more.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Mail, consider St. Bendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, Fl for the mail. They will scan the envelope of any mail received and post it in your account on their website. You can then give directions as to what to do with the mail, including opening the envelope and scanning the contents.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I will try to address a few of your questions.
I don't think Defever or Nordhavn have any boats that small. Also, a 35'trawler wont be able to hold enough fuel to get to Alaska. Plan on stopping in BC along the way. You can buy fishing licenses for both BC and Alaska but remember you are a non resident so they will be expensive. Over $100 in BC and over $200 in Alaska if you want to fish Chinook. There are lots of places to stop for provisions along the way, but if there are certain brands you must have, take them with you. You are going to find all kinds of brands you never saw before.
Forget the hand gun. Research it on the net and you'll see what I mean. Get yourself a mailbox at one of the private places ( we used the UPS store). You can call them, let them know where you'll be and the date, and they will send you your mail. Or have the kids take care of it. I would suggest you try to get enough of your prescriptions to last your entire trip. Try to get as many of your bills handled by email and better yet set up automatic payments if you can. If you do your banking on line it's easy to pay whoever you need from anywhere you have a secure connection.
Yes, I've made the trip twice now and lived aboard a few years. Good luck.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the response

*** Characters
*** See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Whoa! Forget the handgun!! World of trouble and consequences. If you wish to travel armed then Canada will not frown to badly on a shotgun. If you still desire to have a handgun, ship it via Northland Freight to Ketchikan ($35.00 current minimum rate)and as you provision in Ketchikan you can retrieve it and then on the South bound leg, ship it again.The barge lines have no problem holding your package. This is the method I use to move my conceal carry weapon to and from Seattle.
I pack a large handgun when I am exploring fish creeks during spawning season. If you are that type of explorer then a good move to ship the gun up and back.

**** We have cruised the passageway on the monster ship. We got off at all the ports and did our own thing. I did notice folks in the back country had big heaters on their hips..... Besides I love to shoot as does my wife.

There passes our home here in Ketchikan, many "Group" flotilla. How they form up I have no idea maybe as they travel and gather in anchorages. Bet others on this forum will jump in. I do know that there is a couple of Grand Bank outfits that lease their boats that are in charter arrangement or for sale.
**** I have worked as a vendor flown in to work at the city of Ankorage as well as the Air Force base up there.

Provisions/fuel are not a problem anywhere on the Alaska coast and can't believe that it would be a problem in Canada.

You can purchase period license. one day-through seasonal. cost reflected I have no actual knowledge, but seems to not be a problem as many actively fish

Wine time with an Alaskan sunset will leave you speechless, of course, one has to work up to the sunset as the summer evenings tend to be elongated.
cracking the crab and hordy hores are always in order!

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest even more welcome to visit our vast and quite harbors of Alaska.
**** Now waiting on an answer to the headroom issue.

Al
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
I will try to address a few of your questions.
I don't think Defever or Nordhavn have any boats that small. Also, a 35'trawler wont be able to hold enough fuel to get to Alaska. Plan on stopping in BC along the way. You can buy fishing licenses for both BC and Alaska but remember you are a non resident so they will be expensive. Over $100 in BC and over $200 in Alaska if you want to fish Chinook. There are lots of places to stop for provisions along the way, but if there are certain brands you must have, take them with you. You are going to find all kinds of brands you never saw before.
Forget the hand gun. Research it on the net and you'll see what I mean. Get yourself a mailbox at one of the private places ( we used the UPS store). You can call them, let them know where you'll be and the date, and they will send you your mail. Or have the kids take care of it. I would suggest you try to get enough of your prescriptions to last your entire trip. Try to get as many of your bills handled by email and better yet set up automatic payments if you can. If you do your banking on line it's easy to pay whoever you need from anywhere you have a secure connection.
Yes, I've made the trip twice now and lived aboard a few years. Good luck.
Still figuring out the proper way to reply.

One of the reasons I am leaving CA is that I refuse to be disarmed. My shotgun has sat in my safe for years now and hurt no one. Yet criminals commit crimes are not held accountable.

Looking at a map it seems I could get from WA to AK without a port call in Canada.

I will be on Orcas Island next month with the Sailor man, we plan to tour some boats in Anacortes to check on head room.

I do bills on line and in 2 years time I hope not to have to many of them.
Meds I agree I should stock up.
US Mail, I see no urgent need for that with Inet and HF and well a 2 Meters.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Mail, consider St. Bendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, Fl for the mail. They will scan the envelope of any mail received and post it in your account on their website. You can then give directions as to what to do with the mail, including opening the envelope and scanning the contents.

Marty
Awesome idea!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Big Jim;
You can take a shotgun into Canada. There are some forms to fill out that you will need to take with you when you clear customs. If I remember right there is a time limit of 30 days the permit is good for. So if you are just traveling through BC on the way to Alaska, you will be fine.
Even if you can carry enough fuel to get through BC, don't forget about water and laundry. Unless you have a water maker and a washer and dryer you'll still want to stop for these items. Most every marina or resort have these necessities but it's not considered proper to use them unless you are spending the night. Besides it's fun to meet and talk to the other boaters. I usually will go into a port or marina a least every 10 days.
There are certain foods not allowed into Canada from the US, like some vegetables and fruits. So we will usually make a stop within a day or two of entering Canada to get these items.
There is a travel guide that almost every boat in the Nothwest has aboard. It's called the Waggoner Cruising Guide. All the marine stores up here sell them. It has lots of great information for new folks to the area.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Jim

regarding the trip north, you do not need to fully provision up for the entire trip. There are ports that have groceries, and fuel, even decent restaurants all along the way. Credit cards are accepted everywhere.

On the inside passage portion I'd say ports are less than 100 miles apart pretty much the whole way, with just a couple of exceptions.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
FF
Guru

What do our Canadian friends think of my handguns on their shores?

PURE PANIC!!!

Think of an air pistol or rifle , or better a crossbow to not freak the locals.

The requirements of a boat that cruises is very different from most dock queens , so you will have to be carefull on how the boat you purchase is out fitted.

Heat , refrigeration, perhaps stability , and anchor handling , even just a bunch of anchor gear can be pricy.

Esp if its a single shot for a cruise.

Find a cruiser , not a dock queen , 4+ anchors and a BIG windlass might be a start to search for the right boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #12

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Re: the handgun issue, years ago many cruising boats had "bond lockers." Haven't really heard much about them in recent years, so they may have fallen out of fashion. Essentially these were small closets that could be locked and sealed when you cleared into a foreign port with a customs stamp for the duration of the time you were in that country. One was allowed by the host country to transport certain items in transit so long as they remained within the bond locker with the seal unbroken until you cleared out. Most often these were used for items such as liquor and cigarettes, but firearms could also be thusly carried in a secured fashion. I remember first reading about them being used by Eric and Susan Hiscock aboard their tiny sloop, Wanderer II. Might be worth checking on this with Canadian authorities. FYI--I found it easy to build a bond locker into our trawler using a space in the back of one our closets. Could work for you too.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Still figuring out the proper way to reply.

One of the reasons I am leaving CA is that I refuse to be disarmed. My shotgun has sat in my safe for years now and hurt no one. Yet criminals commit crimes are not held accountable.

Looking at a map it seems I could get from WA to AK without a port call in Canada.
No need to be disarmed, just no handguns in Canada. Just like most developed countries in the world.
Handguns wouldn't be much use on a charging grizzly anyway.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

City: Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Re: the handgun issue, years ago many cruising boats had "bond lockers." Haven't really heard much about them in recent years, so they may have fallen out of fashion. Essentially these were small closets that could be locked and sealed when you cleared into a foreign port with a customs stamp for the duration of the time you were in that country. One was allowed by the host country to transport certain items in transit so long as they remained within the bond locker with the seal unbroken until you cleared out. Most often these were used for items such as liquor and cigarettes, but firearms could also be thusly carried in a secured fashion. I remember first reading about them being used by Eric and Susan Hiscock aboard their tiny sloop, Wanderer II. Might be worth checking on this with Canadian authorities. FYI--I found it easy to build a bond locker into our trawler using a space in the back of one our closets. Could work for you too.

Canadian customs' E1 form (E1 – Ship Stores Declaration) has a box for "firearms" but doesn't single out pistols. I bet larger yachts with a security plan in place do carry pistols.

I've used this form along with a lockable locker for booze and cigars over the limit but have never done it with firearms.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #15

In my opinion

Any gun is better than no gun, be it pistol or otherwise.
You bring your knife or whatever weapon your government allows you, I'll bring my handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
No need to be disarmed, just no handguns in Canada. Just like most developed countries in the world.
Handguns wouldn't be much use on a charging grizzly anyway.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Big Jim,
It will not take long for you to learn that often an original inquiry made on a specific subject struggles to survive the detours that occur.
I
t would be prudent to contact the Canadian Customs and ASK if there are provisions regarding hand guns transiting British Columbia. It would be tragic if you accept off beat information that led to a serious breach of Canadian gun rules.

Taking Guns Into Canada – Information for US citizens taking guns into or through Canada

It would be suggested that you not allow yourself to be drawn into sour debate on self serving philosophical positions, rather tend to boat matters the forum holds great information about.
There are forums within this site to deal with the "Other Than".

Still, Big Jim, stay positive on the bucket list item of coming to Alaska. Once here in a more personal level than off a large cruise ship, you will find that you are most welcome. It is not who you are or what you are in Alaska, it is what you bring to the table to contribute.

If you do make it to Ketchikan and you still require a handgun It is a given that you will be able to be accommodated.

Most of us do carry 12 gauge when around bear country, however in addition most of us carry handguns of heavy caliber.

You will be pleased to know that Alaska is one of a very few States that allows anybody (Except convicted felons) to carry concealed without a license. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cheers,
Al- Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)-Alaska

Participating in a gun “buy-back” program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Hey BigJim,

How tall is 'very, very, very tall'?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Big Jim,
It will not take long for you to learn that often an original inquiry made on a specific subject struggles to survive the detours that occur.
I
t would be prudent to contact the Canadian Customs and ASK if there are provisions regarding hand guns transiting British Columbia. It would be tragic if you accept off beat information that led to a serious breach of Canadian gun rules.

Taking Guns Into Canada – Information for US citizens taking guns into or through Canada

It would be suggested that you not allow yourself to be drawn into sour debate on self serving philosophical positions, rather tend to boat matters the forum holds great information about.
There are forums within this site to deal with the "Other Than".

Still, Big Jim, stay positive on the bucket list item of coming to Alaska. Once here in a more personal level than off a large cruise ship, you will find that you are most welcome. It is not who you are or what you are in Alaska, it is what you bring to the table to contribute.

If you do make it to Ketchikan and you still require a handgun It is a given that you will be able to be accommodated.

Most of us do carry 12 gauge when around bear country, however in addition most of us carry handguns of heavy caliber.

You will be pleased to know that Alaska is one of a very few States that allows anybody (Except convicted felons) to carry concealed without a license. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cheers,
Al- Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere)-Alaska

Participating in a gun “buy-back” program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...
Thanks for all of that. Actually the gun-s in Canada issue is about 99 on my list of 100 things to resolve.

I really need to resolve the head room issue before I proceed much more. I see in another post I am asked how tall I am. Six foot ten and 240.

The cruise ship I was on, the stateroom passageways were just at six ten, so I only bashed my head on signs and such.

I see there is a boat show next week end in Anacortes. I am there the following week and off to Orcas for a week with the Sailor man and my wife.

In summary I plan to tour some boats and determine if the effort is even worth it based on head room.

I was on the Stennis carrier for 10 days and did fine. The lowest ceiling on the ship was the enlisted galley.

Thanks again.
BigJim
Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Hey BigJim,

How tall is 'very, very, very tall'?
Six ten, 240.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
For handling your mail and shipping parts, etc. here's a local (Seattle) business that we use: Mail Scanning Forwarding and Personal Assistants Shilshole Bay Mailboxes

Angela, the owner, is awesome!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote