Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: PNW Winterizing

I was under the impression that propane put a lot moisture into the air.* That was one of the major reasons for installing the vented catalitic heater.***

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
PNW Winterizing

Phil---

You are correct. But apparently the inverted-flower-pot-on-the-stove-burner idea is supposed to prevent the deposit of moisture on windows and such. I don't know yet how the heat put out by this arrangment compares to a purpose-built portable propane heater like the one we use. The portable propane heater we use--- which is a catalytic unit-- very definitely does put a lot of moisture into the air.

Obviously either method is a band-aid compared to having a proper forced air or hot water circulation cabin heating system, or a stand-alone diesel or propane heater with a stovepipe or vent. But for those of us who aren't in a position to install "proper heat" on our boats but who still continue to use our boats through the winter, the portable heater is a solution.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #23
FF
Guru

PNW Winterizing

Any unvented (no chimney) propane device , heater , stove , lamp, refrigerator will dump about 1.2 gal of water in the boats air per gallon burned.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

FF is right, combustion dumps H2O into the air, no matter what. The flower pot thing doesn't change that, it might just seem that way. I'd still only recommend this technique for emergency use only, like if your other heater(s) went out. Of course, we breath out a lot of water vapor as well as perspire, even in winter. Venting is the only answer to water vapor buildup in the boat in the winter. Well, that an insulation.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I thought I would generate lots of moisture with my propane stove making tea but it didn't
seem to be a problem. When I tried the propane for a blast of quick heat ... got lots of moisture
and I don't see why. Maby I was using both burners for heat. As to the flower pot I just talked
to my wife who was a professional gardner. She says the pots hold a lot of moisture and keep the plants from drying out. It would seem to me that in a short time the pot would reach it's
maximum water content and it's effectiveness would cease. At that point I would ask the
question " where does the water go ? ".

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
FF
Guru

PNW Winterizing

"At that point I would ask the question " where does the water go ? ".

To the coolest place it can get to and then condense.

Usually its the glass (with almost no R value) that will show the water first, but it will be condensing any place thats cold.
*Lockers , under the bunk matress , or behind any insulation on the hull thats not air tight .

I lived aboard for a couple of decades in NYC , coldest was a 3 -4 day snap to -17F.

Unreal, pouring the spagetti water down the drain would cover the bronze great cabin aft ,windows white with condensation that Immediatly froze.

Simple breathing caused enough condensation that the aluminum campanionway slide had to be beat on to slide open.

As G. Orwell would have remarked MUCH UNGOOD!

FF

-- Edited by FF at 16:45, 2008-01-06
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
PNW Winterizing

Sorry FF, that's double plus ungood from my recolection
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Being live aboards we are very concerned about moisture and how much moisture we put in the air.* We air the boat out often, and have about 12 Dri Eaze pots around the boat.* In the bilge, engine room, and each room.* Once a month I drain the water and refill.* I also soak up and dry up water/moiture in the boat as I know where the water and moisture will condensate.*

It's a constant battle and reminder in the PNW.* One nice thinbg about the Eagle is it has a diesel heater, kept at 70 degrees and its a big big boat.* Bedding and cushions are the two big things that will absorb moisture, so air and/or turn them over, keep doors, cabinets open and aired out.* All our doors, and cabinets have vents, and most have a heater hose and/or heat exchanger in them.**Most monring I will wipe down the pilot house windows*as they tend to condensate the most, and*I liquid gold them*to protect them.

the moisture yu put in the air will condense out it's just a matter of how much and how often.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote