Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greeting,
Oh Mr. lostviking...Although I can see the reasoning in your post, and agree with it's sentiments, I really don't think it will go down that well with the American people. Best take this tongue in cheek type post to OTDE...
I agree with Mr. twiisted's suggestion. Look into the mid Florida route.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greeting,
Oh Mr. lostviking...Although I can see the reasoning in your post, and agree with it's sentiments, I really don't think it will go down that well with the American people. Best take this tongue in cheek type post to OTDE...
I agree with Mr. twiisted's suggestion. Look into the mid Florida route.
Hehe, it is just a joke. Based on the John Cleese sketch: snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA
It is a joke, supposed to make people laugh, but i guess that "taking a piss on ourself" like the british would have explained, it is easier for European than Americans.

I did not make the Norwegian version, hehe.

Yeah, back to the core of the thread. Mid Florida route. Does it cost anything? Is it nicer than to go by the keys? Is it always open?

lostviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostviking View Post
Hehe, it is just a joke. Based on the John Cleese sketch: snopes.com: John Cleese Letter to USA
It is a joke, supposed to make people laugh, but i guess that "taking a piss on ourself" like the british would have explained, it is easier for European than Americans.

I did not make the Norwegian version, hehe.

Yeah, back to the core of the thread. Mid Florida route. Does it cost anything? Is it nicer than to go by the keys? Is it always open?
I thought it was funny. I think you should change your route and go straight to Biloxi and eat and gamble till hurricane season is over. and then be on your way.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
No charge. Nicer is subjective. With a relatively un-proven vessel it would offer an inside passage where you could essentially pull over to the side of the road and be much more likely to find assistance, than say if something happened around the 10,000 Island area.

Unless you are going to spend some time in the Keys I wouldn't really bother going that route unless the locks on the Okeechobee route weren't running (but being H-cane season I'd think there will be plenty of water so there shouldn't be any restrictions). Trust me on this one...where you're going will blow anything the Key's reefs would offer. I just moved to SW Florida after living in Key Largo for 3 yrs. And I took a job assignment in the USVI several yrs ago. St. Croix/St. Thomas have some beautiful reefs, good restaurants, and much prettier coastlines as viewed from aboard. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are awe inspiring. May as well stop at WillieT's (see if your better half is up for "earning" a T-shirt!), and hit Foxy's for New Years.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
To lostviking,

Check out our website, svescapades.net, we have done the trip down the west side of Florida and up the east side to Ft. Lauderdale. If the Okeechobee route is open it would save some time. From there we have done the thorny path to the BVI. This was in a sail boat but, Lauderdale, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Luperon, PR, USVI and then BVI should be possible with a power boat. This did involve some overnight legs but most of it was day trips.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
With a relatively un-proven vessel it would offer an inside passage where you could essentially pull over to the side of the road and be much more likely to find assistance...

Trust me on this one...where you're going will blow anything the Key's reefs would offer. .
Yeah, I`ll do that

I did not realize it was a channel there. I read about one channel going across florida, but somehow i figured it was not finished because of environmental reasons. Glad to hear I was wrong.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #27
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. lostviking. If you do the Lake Okeechobee route, I would suggest going out in the ocean from Riviera Beach south to Ft. Lauderdale if the weather is favorable. I can't remember how many bridges you bypass but it's a lot! Don't go too far out from shore or this will put you into the Gulf Stream and slow your speed. A mile or two should be plenty. And whatever you do, if the winds have ANY north component in them, stay in the ICW.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
I agree with going outside the east coast of Florida, too many bridges. We have always left from Miami, gone north of Bimini and headed straight for Nassau. Plenty of places to anchor and wait for a weather window in the Miami area. We always stopped north of the Venitian Causeway. There's a canal heading east along a street I can't remember the name of, but you can tie up the dinghy across the street from a Food Lion or walk to South Beach and other stores.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Also don't overlook the ability to cross the state at Cape Coral via the Caloosahatchee/Lake Okeechobee Waterway in protected waters if conditions warrant.

I don't know if anyone has pointed you in the direction of these yet but they are definitely a wealth of knowledge in planning a trip like yours.
http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipsto...x.php?cPath=21
The only thing that could be an impediment to his crossing the state by using the Caloosahatchee over to Lake Okeechobee and then the St Lucy River....is the fact that the Moorehaven Lock is closing in June for about two months and not reopening until mid August...if the repairs take longer, who knows.....
Cruiser's Net Archive Moore Haven Lock/Okeechobee Waterway Closure Delayed Until 6/11/12 – Anticipated Re-opening 8/8/12

Me, I'd rather cross the lake than go around the bottom...been both ways and just prefer the lake...besides...its shorter to Ft. L across the lake....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Me, I'd rather cross the lake than go around the bottom...been both ways and just prefer the lake...besides...its shorter to Ft. L across the lake....
I want to take the short route and do it really slow.
If it saves time and fuel, it is great.

I figure i got the most scenic run from The Bahamas to The VI`s anyway.
At least with my white beach and palm trees fetish, hehe!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
I want to take the short route and do it really slow.
If it saves time and fuel, it is great.

I figure i got the most scenic run from The Bahamas to The VI`s anyway.
At least with my white beach and palm trees fetish, hehe!
If not a US citizen, then why cross over Florida at all...may be shorter to just head down the west side and jump over to Cuba and head East from there....unless you just gotta see the Bahamas...many agree that Cuba is far more interesting than the Bahamas.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #32

I've done that trip numerous times.

Panama City to Clearwater about 3 days
Clearwater to Ft. Myers about 3 days
Ft. Myers to Stuart across Lake - 2 days
Stuart to Ft. Lauderdale about 2 days
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
Guru

many of that era chinezze boat have blisters not great but your boat will not fall apart in the next 50 years
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
many of that era chinezze boat have blisters not great but your boat will not fall apart in the next 50 years
Maybe...maybe not..depends on a few things...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #35
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Man you guys make me feel like one lucky sob. Back in 2000 4 of us went to Marco Island FL and picked up an old steel trawler. We arrived in the afternoon and left 0500 the next morning. All we knew was the boat had a tank of fuel and a running engine. After crossing the lake route to Stuart Fl 13 days later we arrived in Richmond Va. Beat up old trawler with rust running down the sides and 4 big smiles on our faces. Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #36
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. LWW. Yup, have had similar experiences in past years. I'm assuming that "old steel trawler" ran on alcohol. Ah, those would have been the days if I could only remember...I'm happy for your memories.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
We firgured right at about 500 gallons of fuel and 600 gallons of beer. Only two of the four drink.
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #38
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Yeah, I`ll do that

I did not realize it was a channel there. I read about one channel going across florida, but somehow i figured it was not finished because of environmental reasons. Glad to hear I was wrong.
I think you might be referring to the "Cross Florida Barge Canal".....it ran from just above Crystal River on the Gulf side and crossed over just below Ocala and continue over to around Palatka and hook to the St. John's River....which was never finished....and it was pretty much halted for environmental reasons...aside from the fact that it was pretty much a pork barrel project that was a waste of money because its economic value was over estimated.

Today's remnant of the canal attached to the Gulf...just above the Nuke plant at Red Level...is a marginal anchorage at best. The canal was dredged to the bedrock..lime...and an anchor has a hard time doing much more than sliding across the bottom. On a couple transits of the area...we ended up tying up at an FWC state dock for the night and leaving early in the morning....it is calm up in there...and make sure you don't go up the canal to the nuke plant...security is "touchy".
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I would recommend the Skipper Bob guides for that area, they are not expensive and have good information. Also check out the Activecaptain.com site, it has charts and lots of information on marinas and anchorages along the way.
You will be passing through some very good cruising waters along the way if you have thet ime go a bit slower and enjoy it.
Your first leg, out of Carabelle will be the only offshore part of the trip 20-30 hours, make sure you have tested well and are comfortable with all systems before jumping off.
Let us know how it goes
Have a great trip!
Steve W.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote