Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
From the nosy neighbor files.

Man the boating world is changing fast. There are alot of guys going to the boat show in the next few weeks with notin but cash for a boat. Lots will have zero knowledge of what they are getting into.

I mean we used to start off in that 16 footer on a trailer. Today guys are starting out on 30 foot high powered pleasure craft with all the do dads.

I was running the little boat back up the river after dark. I see behind me a big white light and a red light? HMMMMMMM could be a tug a tow pulling out of the slew behind me. Up a couple of miles on the river and well that bright lite is bright and the red light is bright. HMMMMMM. They are closing fast and yup thats a spot light or search light being used as head lights, with a red nav light under?

I turn into the middle arm and run behind a bridge guard prior to being run down. They pass and head on down the middle arm at about 16 knots in a no wake, five not zone. HMMMMMMM

So I follow behind just at idle and catch up as they circle prior to bringing the boat into there marina. I note they are running two reds instead of a green / red and have no steaming light along with the stern light covered by dropped canvas. HMMMMMM

I try to ask about the running lights and the improper set up.

I am told !!!

RED LUCKY !

By the guy at the helm with his face lit well by all the nice new fancy dancy aids to navigation placed in front of his face.

HMMMMMMMM

Red lucky , realy.

Time to have a little talk ? or no ?

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
On the inland waters its $100,000++ wake boats. Financed bling boats behind leased jacked up pickups. They go out surfing and wreck the water for all the other users. Generally drunk as skunks with high power boomboxes making sound pollution at the same time. Or they're ripping up circles with their lake lice. That's why we like winter boating on the coast - no one else is out there.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Stay out of his way and I would give him a suggestion or two....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Here in Miami, some of them start with 50 footers. It's rare to see them with only red lights, but judging by the way they handle their boats, I think Captains that find themselves in their path do see a lot of red.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
They're in a different marina from you? Sneak in after dark, and plaster their pontoon with printouts of the correct nav lights... Next week you could give them rights of way, and so on!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
OFB
Guru

Yup different facility. Once I had that answer red lucky I waved and carried on back home. I see the boat once and a while returning through the middle arm early evening with the dble reds and head light. I just stay out of the way and shake my head.

Different world or different perception ?

grumpyoldfishboatguy.

Have ta laugh.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
FF
Guru

I note they are running two reds

This is proper for their operation..

Red over Red , Captain in the head!

2 red is a vessel not under control, sounds right to me.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It helps to understand that not all people who own boats are "boaters". Many, perhaps most folks buy a boat to have fun on the water or to impress their friends or business clients. They don't care about navigating with charts and a compass, they don't care about proper lighting, they are on the water just to have fun. In most states you don't have to take a class or pass a test to operate a boat so people aren't required to know the rules.

In this case, if you feel the guy is a danger to others, report him to the authorities. Otherwise, let it go.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I note they are running two reds

This is proper for their operation..

Red over Red , Captain in the head!

2 red is a vessel not under control, sounds right to me.
We sing that, ' Red over red, the Captain is dead'.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
OFB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It helps to understand that not all people who own boats are "boaters". Many, perhaps most folks buy a boat to have fun on the water or to impress their friends or business clients. They don't care about navigating with charts and a compass, they don't care about proper lighting, they are on the water just to have fun. In most states you don't have to take a class or pass a test to operate a boat so people aren't required to know the rules.

In this case, if you feel the guy is a danger to others, report him to the authorities. Otherwise, let it go.

Ron thats well said. No point in getting upset with something I realy have no control over. is what it is. I made the attempt and in most cases here on the river , the river gods will select a way to teach lessons. These kinda lessons are well earned, with a cost. Bin there done that. I have to keep in mind that most of the time no one actualy gets hurt just the vessel.

But I will keep an eye out for them
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Wausau,WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
We sing that, ' Red over red, the Captain is dead'.
I'm still that boating newbie that lurks around here. Love learning new things

I was only familiar with the "Red over Red your dead" that relates to the visual aproach slope indicators at the end of an airport runway. There it means you will smack into the ground long before the runway.
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Ron thats well said. No point in getting upset with something I realy have no control over. is what it is. I made the attempt and in most cases here on the river , the river gods will select a way to teach lessons. These kinda lessons are well earned, with a cost. Bin there done that. I have to keep in mind that most of the time no one actualy gets hurt just the vessel.

But I will keep an eye out for them
Did you catch the picture of the sailboat I posted last week or so that had deck mount lights mounted to the sides of the bow??? (can't find the pic right now) No lights from either side while sailing!!!

And slowly but surely boating ed is catching up...here in the states something like 42 states now require some sort of at least classroom/internet education (I'm the first to say it's very limited...but at least people gather they are supposed to know something..)

A total of 42 States currently require some form of boater education. Source(s):

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
OFB
Guru

Here in BC a basic skill license is mandatory and has been for some time. I can not say for sure but my guess is these folk have the PCOC or power sqaudron course.

I run into very few that do not have and non that did not fail the test.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

City: Benicia CA
I understand the implication and maybe I should know this, but what exactly does "red lucky " mean?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: coos bay
you havent seen anything untill you have been to the fireworks fourth of july on potatoe slough. There a hundreds of boats of every size and shape and most take off for the boat ramps after the fireworks. Many run without lights often at high speed in the dark of the night. Every year its the same and there are surprisingly few accidents. When i have gone i find a nice spot in the tulies and spend the night to avoid the carnage. San Joaquin river and Potatoe slough in the central valley of Californias delta. Its really great fun but there are always a few like mentioned that really make for a scary event
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
OFB--- If BC has navigation light regulations and if the Fraser River has any sort of patrol organization--- Coast Guard, city police, river police---, and if this guy makes a habit of running his red light boat when having nav lights on is a requirement, then your solution seems simple to me.

Give the details of the boat and its habits to the relevant authorities with the information that this boat is run on the river when lights are required with the wrong lights showing and then sit back and enjoy watching the folks with the blue light boats deal with it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I understand the implication and maybe I should know this, but what exactly does "red lucky " mean? Nsail

OFB keeps his boat in an area that has a very high concentration of immigrants from China.

Does that help?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #18

City: Benicia CA
Thanks koliver! I'm not sure I should've known that, but now I get it and it makes sense to me!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #19

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
When we purchased our boat, the port and starboard running lights were on the correct sides but mounted in reverse so they were aimed aft! Another one of the many things our surveyor missed.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
OFB--- If BC has navigation light regulations and if the Fraser River has any sort of patrol organization--- Coast Guard, city police, river police...
Give the details of the boat and its habits to the relevant authorities with the information that this boat is run on the river when lights are required with the wrong lights showing and then sit back and enjoy watching the folks with the blue light boats deal with it.
I agree, you'd be doing him a favour. He is probably blithely unaware he is illegal, and meant to know a whole lot of stuff he clearly doesn't. I guess having mandatory boat licensing here in Queensland...in fact now countrywide I think, does spare us such complete ignorance in boat owners.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote