Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Peter B we have mandatory boat licensing here. But I am not seeing much improvement in skill set as a result. It has to help but time will tell.

Koliver is correct red lucky is a cultural thing here in Richmond BC.

Red Lucky

For what ever reason it just makes me laugh a little.

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Peter B we have mandatory boat licensing here. But I am not seeing much improvement in skill set as a result.
"Mandatory boat licensing" can have many meanings. In our state, NSW, you need a license to drive a boat at 10kts and up, but not if you operate below, even if the boat has 10kt+ ability.
Most boats need to be registered, but to determine safe passenger max, Roads & Maritime (as it is following amalgamation)sends load stickers with the max pax number blank,you work it out for yourself with some hints they give. A prosecution for overload could be interesting with pax within the numbers you chose.
R&M has a motto "You`re the skipper, you`re responsible". It doesn`t add "and we`re not", but that`s the idea. That`s ok, it works for sensible boaters, but some are not.
The Lane Cove River where I (and Cresta 32) moor, has unenforced "reduce wash" signage. It is often infested with miscreant ski boats, some with aft tanks to drag the stern increasing wake, whose aim is wake production, not reduction,and sacrificing safe navigation for fun. Enforcement would benefit and protect the non ski boat majority.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
"Mandatory boat licensing" can have many meanings. In our state, NSW, you need a license to drive a boat at 10kts and up, but not if you operate below, even if the boat has 10kt+ ability.
Most boats need to be registered, but to determine safe passenger max, Roads & Maritime (as it is following amalgamation)sends load stickers with the max pax number blank,you work it out for yourself with some hints they give. A prosecution for overload could be interesting with pax within the numbers you chose.
R&M has a motto "You`re the skipper, you`re responsible". It doesn`t add "and we`re not", but that`s the idea. That`s ok, it works for sensible boaters, but some are not.
The Lane Cove River where I (and Cresta 32) moor, has unenforced "reduce wash" signage. It is often infested with miscreant ski boats, some with aft tanks to drag the stern increasing wake, whose aim is wake production, not reduction,and sacrificing safe navigation for fun. Enforcement would benefit and protect the non ski boat majority.

I guess I'm showing my age with this remark but here goes. When i was a kid there were no rules except for common sense in the delta waterways. You were allowed to pretty much do as you wished except when in navigatable waterways then you had to obey maritime laws. Then one day a list of boating etiquette was published. Wasn't law and no penalties just a guide line for all boaters to adhere to. In the seventies when they were beginning to patrol around cities like Sacramento we even had a sheriff that was always drunk. He was kind of a joke and no one took him seriously until he took offense at Freeport Marina when they honked at him to slow down and reduce his wake when passing the marina. After that he would always trim his patrol boat to make the biggest wake and depending on his alcohol level would harass the marina by driving back and forth. That went on for a year or more before he retired and things got back to normal. By the eighties it became against the law to operate a vessel drunk and there were more patrols in city areas. By now you can begin to see the trend I'm sure. Today in the summer there are cops all over writing tickets for everything under the sun all with stiff fines attached.
Has all this regulation made things any better? Not in my opinion as each year the amount of accidents increases and new laws are enacted.....I'm for fewer laws not more, I guess i am becoming an anarchist.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #24
Guru

Britt, I`m no admirer of more regulation,but new regs don`t normally cause accidents, it`s the other way around.
There are many more boats now than when you or I were kids. That`s why being on the correct side of the channel matters.
I`ve suggested Maritime enforce or abandon wake reduction on the Lane Cove River, a part of the Harbour, with moored boats, rowers, kayakers, sailboats,juniors in sailing dinghies,cruisers, lined with waterfront houses. I like the first with an 8 knot limit but if it`s the second we can all power up and put out wash like the ski boats do.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
OFB--- If BC has navigation light regulations and if the Fraser River has any sort of patrol organization--- Coast Guard, city police, river police---, and if this guy makes a habit of running his red light boat when having nav lights on is a requirement, then your solution seems simple to me.
If there are LE agencies around, a simple call to them on VHF 16 giving a polite heads-up when it happened would probably have piqued their interest. There's a good chance they would come out and do a boarding.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Britt, I`m no admirer of more regulation,but new regs don`t normally cause accidents, it`s the other way around.
There are many more boats now than when you or I were kids. That`s why being on the correct side of the channel matters.
I`ve suggested Maritime enforce or abandon wake reduction on the Lane Cove River, a part of the Harbour, with moored boats, rowers, kayakers, sailboats,juniors in sailing dinghies,cruisers, lined with waterfront houses. I like the first with an 8 knot limit but if it`s the second we can all power up and put out wash like the ski boats do.
Hi Bruce. What causes accidents are people not paying attention. What i see in the delta is that in areas that are patroled people aren't as attentive as in more remote areas of the delta. Wasn't like that back when there was no patrol, people paid attention. I feel that because people feel "protected" in patroled regulated areas they then relax and kaboom! The increase in the accident rate after laws and patrols per capita kind of supports my position don't you think?
Yes the greater the population density the more accidents, but, the per capita accident rate should be the same and with patrols and laws it should be less but it isnt it is higher.
What i need to do is find some current statistics and post therm.

Best wishes