Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post
I remember reading a blog several years ago by a couple who spent years cruising the Pacific Coast and Mexico. He had a SD boat but said he rarely went very fast. Basically, he said something like "it's an 8-knot ocean out there." The question becomes how often you might want to--and be able to, given sea/weather conditions--go faster than about 8 knots
We cruise in the open ocean every time we leave port.

What we have found is that we use the SD speeds more often than we ever thought we would when we bought the boat.

If you are in a non stabilized boat (like ours) you can use horsepower to push the aft down and reduce rolling in a beam sea for example.

If you are trying to make a tide for fishing you can use speed to get there at the right time. There are lots of examples of why you might use speed if you have that capability.

Like any other operating paramater or feature, you find yourself making use of speed capability because you can.

The same might be said of the strong points of FD stabilized boats.

Your cruising "style" will adapt to your boat.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #22

As to stabilization,as far as I know,KK,Selenes,North Pacific,and Nordhavn's don't come from the factory with stabilization included.The buyers elect to put them on(and pay for them)after factory delivery.Sometimes,they are done by the yard that is prepping the boat for factory delivery.A smart option for the buyers is to have the factory do the structural prepwork of reinforcing the hull area for the stabilizers.

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #23

City: Crofton, MD
Vessel Name: Able Explorer
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Thanks all ! Great posts ! Hope to see you all out there soon.
SteveJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #24

City: Palo Alto
Hi All,

I have been talking to Trevor about buying the NP45. What a beautiful boat and it comes with a hardtop. I'm going up north from CA to WA to meet with him at the trawler fest and sea trial the NP44 that they will have available. The NP44 shares he same hull as the NP45 so I should get a representative ride. I too have been stressing over whether to get a SD or FD hull form. Price is an issue and I would have to buy a 10 year old Selene or a new NP45. Sail blue water or stay on the coast. That's what it comes down to. You get so much for your money with the North Pacific45 and it is really a beautiful boat and there is a lot of coast to cruise. So it looks like it's going to be he NP45 for me.

I'm a long ways from owning it yet, wish me luck.

Cheers

dirtdoc1
dirtdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Are the vessels you are considering stabilized? They sure add to your boating pleasure.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #26

City: 616 Daniel Island, SC
Don't know what other boats you've shopped but while you are in Seattle it might be worth your time to take a look at the Helmsman 43. Very nice boat and very nice people to do business with.
wrwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #27

I've read about the Helmsman 43 and I plan to check it out but I'm not thrilled with it's lines. It's an odd looking boat.

As far as stabilizing, the NP45 does not come stabilized. From what I understand stabilization is done more to full displacement hulls because they tend to roll. Semi-displacement hulls with hard chines don't really need it because they are more stable. That said, I have seen several Defevers (SD) for sale that were stabilized with naiad (sp?) active stabilizers. It looks like a really nice system. Trevor (owner of NPY) said that they have only stabilized two of there boats.

I'll try it without and if the boat rolls too much then I'll add stabilization. I'll probably add a hell of a lot more than that over time.

That's if all the right stars and planets are alinged and this deal goes through.

Cheers,

Dirtdoc1
Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
I've read about the Helmsman 43 and I plan to check it out but I'm not thrilled with it's lines. It's an odd looking boat.

As far as stabilizing, the NP45 does not come stabilized. From what I understand stabilization is done more to full displacement hulls because they tend to roll. Semi-displacement hulls with hard chines don't really need it because they are more stable. That said, I have seen several Defevers (SD) for sale that were stabilized with naiad (sp?) active stabilizers. It looks like a really nice system. Trevor (owner of NPY) said that they have only stabilized two of there boats.

I'll try it without and if the boat rolls too much then I'll add stabilization. I'll probably add a hell of a lot more than that over time.

That's if all the right stars and planets are alinged and this deal goes through.

Cheers,

Dirtdoc1
Builders like to claim their boats don't need stabilizers. I haven't seen any boat yet that can't benefit from them. I would not purchase a new boat in the 45' and above size ranges without stabilizers. Yes, we have a couple of members here who had recent builds without them and perhaps for cruising primarily in protected waters it's fine. Yes, some boats are more stable than others. However, most boats above 40-45' greatly benefit from having them. Now, we're into planing hulls and stabilizers and wouldn't build a larger boat without them.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Dirtdoc, if I was buying a new boat now, it would definitely be the NP45. Good luck.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #30

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Builders like to claim their boats don't need stabilizers. I haven't seen any boat yet that can't benefit from them. I would not purchase a new boat in the 45' and above size ranges without stabilizers. Yes, we have a couple of members here who had recent builds without them and perhaps for cruising primarily in protected waters it's fine. Yes, some boats are more stable than others. However, most boats above 40-45' greatly benefit from having them. Now, we're into planing hulls and stabilizers and wouldn't build a larger boat without them.
What he said. I've heard many brokers say you don't need stabilization on SD boats. Sure, you might not need them, but they make the boat a whole lot more comfortable. After riding on some stabilized boats, including a newer version of my boat with a Seakeeper, I doubt I'd buy another non-stabilized boat, regardless of hull form.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #31
Guru

Dirtdoc

You may be interested to check out the new DeFever 52 PH that Seattle Yachts has in Seattle. I saw it recently and was quite impressed. It may be sold, but worth a look as an alternative. It may well be a similar price and is a lot more boat and much heavier built.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #32

Hi BandB and Retriever and thanks for the suggestions.

I've heard a lot of people say that once you've experienced a stabilized boat you won't want to go without. Unfortunately I can't afford to put stabilizers in the new NP45 so I will have to wait until I can afford them.

As far as that Defever 50 that Sunchaser so graciously mentioned, I will definitely check it out. I still have to sea-trial the NP45. It will be interesting to see how stable it is. I wish I knew someone with a stabilized boat that I could catch a ride with but I don't. So it's either going to be: buy a stabilized older boat or buy an un-stabilized new NP45 and stabilize it later (if I think it needs it).

I really like having a new boat for the warrantee and if I'm lucky an extended warrantee.

Does anybody want to buy my 2013 Carver C34? I put over $100k of upgrades in it and kept it in like-new condition. And, it comes with a transferable warrantee. I know this is not the appropriate place to sell boats so that will be the last that I talk about it here.

Cheers,

Dirtdoc
Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
I still have to sea-trial the NP45. It will be interesting to see how stable it is. I wish I knew someone with a stabilized boat that I could catch a ride with but I don't. So it's either going to be: buy a stabilized older boat or buy an un-stabilized new NP45 and stabilize it later (if I think it needs it).
Dirtdoc
I seriously doubt the sea trial would be done in big water. Point being, the pros and cons for stabilizers could be initially hard to define. BTW, if you see the DeFever, it as best I remember, stabilized.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
I know this is not the appropriate place to sell boats so that will be the last that I talk about it here.

Cheers,

Dirtdoc
There is a classified section here where you can list it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #35

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I don't recall seeing a stabilized North Pacific.
Of course I haven't seen them all.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't recall seeing a stabilized North Pacific.
Of course I haven't seen them all.
Trevor mentioned that to the best of his recollection he could only remember two NPY's that either were sold stabilized or the owners had it done. I don't recall and I don't feel comfortable quoting him. I think it was the customers had NPY stabilize them. I'll ask him when I see him next week.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #37

I'm having trouble showing quotes. Can someone explain it to me?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Set up your account | Help, Tips, etc

Page 1 covers most forum functions.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belize, liveaboard, trawler