Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Does the OP even know what "spring line" means?

I do!! I do!!

It's the clothing they put on the racks the day after Christmas.

C'mon. Learning what a spring line is, or what a breast line is, is rather irrelevent, don't you think? There are lots of things we all know how to do, yet don't know the correct technical terminology used by professionals or the common terminology used by others, which might be different in different sections of the country or in different countries.

That said, we all have room to learn something no matter our skill level. As well, we all have something to teach to others no matter their skill level.

Living on board with....7 people was it?...is going to be a learning curve from hell, even for someone with 50 years on the water. But it's their call to go there or not. Words of advice, yes. Scare them off? I'm not going to do it. The best learning is by doing, and failure goes hand in hand with doing. Look at the bright side, they'll learn lots and lots of ways not to do something. Ways we've never thought of. And yet, they might find ways to do something. Ways no one has thought of yet.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Don’t get me wrong, I hope she comes back as I love to help other people realize their dream and SPEND THEIR money.

In many ways I can relate to her as we were green newbees that bought a boat way beyond our capability/needs, and we had our daughter and two grandchildren living with us. There are a few of us, who did not know better, no body told and we where approved, so we bought the big ugly trawler boat to be used as a dock condo. Shoot we did not know we were a live aboard until they started charged us a LAB fee. What is a LAB fee?

I remember sitting in the Engine rooms perplex and over whelmed with all the valves/knobs/switches and stuff? What asre we going to do with 1200 gallons of fuel? What do you mean we can only turn on the few electric items at one time? What is an amp? We ran out of water and what is the noise coming from the boats crawl space? We are out of hot water again, and I was only in the shower for 15 minutes? How do you flush the toilets? I wonder where the toilet stuff goes? What do you mean there is brown/smelly stuff running down the side of the boat? I turned the key and nothing? Battery switch and where is that located? What do you mean you have to bleed the air out of the fuel lines? The closets, draws, and storage are full and that not even ½ of our cloths/shoes/stuff? We where both sick to our stomachs and light headed the first week? Which side is port and which side is starboard? I hope/wonder if they have valet docking? Why does the boat only go to one side when backing up?

I mean the list goes on and on, but most of us forget?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
some people can learn all they need to know to get started in 6 months or so...some people spend their whole lives on the water and still don't get it....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
Guru

I think it's less "forget/forgot" than take for granted. In my office I can do things faster than I can tell someone what I want done. That wasn't always the case, and for other things in life I'm the one having to be "schooled" on how things get done.

But, as long as her and her family are safe. Let them live their dream.

psneeld: 6 months? I was looking for a 6 hour course that covers all I need to know from bow to stern, from keel to topmast.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I think it's less "forget/forgot" than take for granted. In my office I can do things faster than I can tell someone what I want done. That wasn't always the case, and for other things in life I'm the one having to be "schooled" on how things get done.

But, as long as her and her family are safe. Let them live their dream.

psneeld: 6 months? I was looking for a 6 hour course that covers all I need to know from bow to stern, from keel to topmast.
I had a guy who I taught to drive his boat when I worked for Marine Max...he bought a 42 Azimut as his first boat after boating as a kid with his dad but had not been on a boat for 20 years. He had made a ton of money in the dot coms and after a year, sold the Azimut and bought a 48 Sea Ray that he often single handed and took to Nantucket and beyond after his first year of boating. He could do anything with those boats and I felt his family was always safe...we had an understanding.

When I taught captain's licensing...there were guys 50+ YOA that had been boating their whole lives that I never thought should even get their six pack...just not captain material.

So yes...some people with the 6 hr course can get started even with a 65 footer and be better boaters than many with 25 foot boston whalers...why???

....because they are sponges for information and others are coral rocks.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #46
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

So yes...some people with the 6 hr course can get started even with a 65 footer and be better boaters than many with 25 foot boston whalers...why???

....because they are sponges for information and others are coral rocks.
Very well put. Some folks are teachable, others not so much. Desire to learn is the key.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

For example: the OP doesn't even know how to use a VHF and yet somehow it is ok to start off having to monitor 16 and 13 with call signs and a radio log? It is not complicated, but if you have never even talked over a VHF it is more to learn while you already have so much else to learn.

Gene :^)
I'm with R/B on this one. I've run several family yachts over 60ft and never even noticed the difference in requirements. How hard is it to turn on the VHF and monitor 16? In all probability, there is another one tuned to 13 that just needs to be turned on. There are going to be so many things to learn that the very minor differences in regulations will be unnoticed. Again, I say go for it and learn as you go. Will she spend time with a professional captain? Highly likely, but most likely a lot of fun too. Life is short, then you die, go for the gold now.............Arctic Traveller
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
we did not know we were a live aboard until they started charged us a LAB fee. What is a LAB fee?
That would be for your dog. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
That would be for your dog. BruceK

That is what we thought as we did have a Labador dog, but its really Live A Board fee. Some marinas charge an extra fee.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #50
Guru

I would think that most marinas charge a live-aboard fee merely because someone on the boat 24/7 is using more marina services (power/water/trash, etc) than even someone who is taking the boat out daily, and surely more than someone who is using it weekly (or less often).
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I've stayed at a few marinas with in slip pumpout, that is a real nice feature. You can pump out, bring a hose with spray nozzle, clean off the walls and corners of the holding tank, then pump it out again at your leisure. It can be done at a pumpout dock too, but not if they are busy.
If I remember right Marina Jack in Sarasota FL, and Legacy Marina in Ft Myers, FL have them.They have a large central vacuum station with PVC sewer lines running to the slips usually 2 spaces share one terminal. Some have a shared hose reel on wheels, some have a dock box with a 15-20' hose which is moved around by hand.

Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #52
FF
Guru

Marinas try to make money from the entire facility , not just selling slip space.

Liveaboards buy less fuel during the year , and create 10x the garbage .

A non moving boat requires no fresh bottom paint , so fewer haulouts.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #53

City: Maine
Try this link http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...ations/420.PDF
it goes to 20 meters, or 65.5 feet. The rest you can find in the USCG CFR's. Specifically 33 CFR and 46 CFR. This stands for Code of Federal Regulations and is more than likely 1000 times more information than you need. Start at about 33CFR 88. Best of luck. You can also try the coast guard website at USCG National Maritime Center
There is a search engine on this site which helps a lot.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #54

City: League City
Vessel Name: Bra-vo
Vessel Model: 62'Med Yacht
There is a boat called "Sugar" for sale in TX, it is a 62' Med Yacht offered by Jay Bettis Yacht Brokers. It sleeps 8 with a VIP suite for Mom.
med yacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #55

If you are going to cruise long range stabilizers are sooo important! We finally put Trac Digital Active Fins on our trawler and it was amazing! $50,000 average cost including installation.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #56
FF
Guru

We finally put Trac Digital Active Fins on our trawler and it was amazing! $50,000 average cost including installation.

So what is the cost per mile to date?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #57

Don't know

Sorry, don't know. Didn't seem to change much from before and even before it is hard to calculate with tanks of 1100 gallons diesel. The comfort factor is worth and extra fuel burn. Believe me, the ladies won't go at all if they are puking all day long.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Sorry, don't know. Didn't seem to change much from before and even before it is hard to calculate with tanks of 1100 gallons diesel. The comfort factor is worth and extra fuel burn. Believe me, the ladies won't go at all if they are puking all day long.
Having 1200 gallan fuel tank that was my though as to what to do with it and it would last us years, may a decade. I will probabe be dead before the 1200 gallson is used.

So where did GG go?

The pucker factor is a big reason I do not like to leave the dock! Is it worth it, usually not. Much rather curl up with my quilt, blanket, and take a nap!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #59
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Hi
Just noticed your request. gor a few years I owned a C & L 6o. Great boat with twin 350hp GM, It had 4 guest cabins all on suite etc. with 59ft+ LOA 19ft 9in Beam and 5ft 6in draft. The top deckl had a 45ft x 19ft area. We lived on board every summer in Bermuda. Frequently had 15-20 people on for the day and did not feel overcrowded. If you drop me a email martin.purser@gmail.com I will email you some pictures. I nw have a 50ft Tri cabin Cheoy Lee in Sint Maarten.

Martin
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #60

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
Hi
Just noticed your request. gor a few years I owned a C & L 6o. Great boat with twin 350hp GM, It had 4 guest cabins all on suite etc. with 59ft+ LOA 19ft 9in Beam and 5ft 6in draft. The top deckl had a 45ft x 19ft area. We lived on board every summer in Bermuda. Frequently had 15-20 people on for the day and did not feel overcrowded. If you drop me a email martin.purser@gmail.com I will email you some pictures. I nw have a 50ft Tri cabin Cheoy Lee in Sint Maarten.

Martin
Martin,
How many people did you have living aboard your 60' c & L?

Tags
buying, purchase