Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't know how this thread drifted to this, but we are in our (or a transient) marina, we use the marina facilities whenever possible. That's not to say that if we have to go n the middle of the night we walk up there, but we use them whenever it's convenient. Walking is good exercise.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't know how this thread drifted to this, but we are in our (or a transient) marina, we use the marina facilities whenever possible. That's not to say that if we have to go n the middle of the night we walk up there, but we use them whenever it's convenient. Walking is good exercise.
My boat is 1/4 mile from the marina office and showers. That's a 1/2 mile round trip. I usually do that 4 or 5 times a day. I get my exercise.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I think because I mentioned the tide and ramps so things may have to betimed with the tide. Like this morning doing the laundry and grocery shopping.

If the boat needs to be pumped as a last last last resort, I would have to do it. Since its mostly water and spray Clorox down the toilet its cannot that bad?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If you use a biological holding tank treatment (I use Ororlos), Clorox will kill the enzymes or microbes and you're just wasting your money.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you use a biological holding tank treatment (I use Ororlos), Clorox will kill the enzymes or microbes and you're just wasting your money.

We get pumped so who cares. The purpose of the Clorox is to clean the hose and tank and to reduce the smell. The Eagle also has a 4 person Microphor which is sort of septic tank. All you have to do is use it, no electric power or chemicals. Of course Clorox can not be used. So when out and about we do not use the holding tank.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
After 16 years I still prefer using a land toilet and will use the marinated for for #2 when possible. So its no surprise to me when dirt dwellers clog a marine toilet. Shoot we do that on occasion.
I'm pretty sure, that, even marinated, a 16 year old #2, could pretty much clog anything.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #27

City: Everett
Now this is the type of info I joined this site to learn about.I have been seriously considering living on board a trawler in a local marina and where else can you find out the best place to go #2.
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Corpus Christi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
On that note, I read a single grey whale poops three times a day. Each poop is equivalent to 1800 of a human's and that means one whale equals 5600 human dumps daily. Come to think of it, I've never seen a floating island of whale poop.
That doesn't pose a problem as long as the whales are at least three miles out. If a whale tied up next to you in the marina and did this, it would definitely pose a problem, especially of this whale used toilet paper!
Tuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"We get pumped so who cares. The purpose of the Clorox is to clean the hose and tank and to reduce the smell."

Backwards , read this months Practical Sailor to learn why poisoning the waste system does not reduce , but raises the stench.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I quit reading this forum but I got another notice it was still going.

I had salt water flush and they stink bad. No matter what you use. I switched to a freshwater toilet and I can say my stuff doesn't stink but I do use a chemical treatment that is biodegradable and not toxic. I always pump out at docks and not the ocean also. I did install a new thru hull for an overboard pump but I have procrastinated that job. I hate working on heads, holding tanks and blackwater.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote