Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I find most boat owners feel a certain way about their boats and then I ask...Have you ever lifted the deck away from the hull to really see that joint? Do you know the ACTUAL thickness of your hull from keel to sheer? Have you inspected numerous cores from your decks? Have you ever cut a few feet off your keel and replaced it???

Most of the time I'm lucky to get one "yes" in my list of questions and yet they are convinced some boat (often their own) is built "like a tank" or even "well"...

Sometimes I feel for their ignorance but often they press me for my experience with that brand/model boat and being honest I usually shock them with my response.

So most people who throw out any explanation of quality... usually have a fairly limited grasp of it unless they have seen the boat is all stages of assembly or disassembly.

I at first though Pascoe's explanation of how boats faired after hurricane damage was a pretty good indicator ....and while it is...there is more to the story on every hull/boat.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowery View Post
I have been observing the forum for some time and know that there are many wise and knowledgeable skippers out there monitoring the site. After crunching the numbers, it looks like we will be ready to pull the trigger on a live-aboard trawler in about 8-12 months. But which boat do we go after? We will be looking for an economical sundeck with great bones between 36 and 44 ft with a galley up and something besides a vertical ladder as a means of entry from the dingy. Price range is between $90,000 and $150,000.

I am still working so unfortunately we will be spending a good bit of time tied to the dock. I do not want to cross any oceans but would like to have a boat capable of island hopping in the Caribbean. I have been following Gulfstar, Nova, Heritage East, Marine Trader, Present, and a couple of others. I have ruled out Carver because of David Pascoe's review and Mainship due to the lack of storage space.

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks!

This 44 Ocean Alexander seems to meet your criteria. Sundeck with cockpit for easy and safe dinghy (and floating dock) access. Large sundeck. Huge amount of interior storage space. Nice joinery. Efficient and bulletproof Ed Monk designed hull. Priced near the high end of your range. Good chance this one will be for sale at the end of the summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7387.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	28292

Name:	DSCN1475.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	28293

Name:	DSCN4685.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	28294

Name:	DSCN4689.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	28295

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #43

City: Mystic
Vessel Name: Outback
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
We've recently offered our 48 Hatters LRC for sale and have had 2 showings in the past week. Both buyers, seasoned boaters, wanted a boat with NO ladders. There previous boats had ladders.

Our boat has no ladders. While on the hook/mooring, the cockpit is accessible from the dinghy via the swim platform giving easy access to the salon/galley for loading of groceries, etc. And while at the dock the Marquit stairs are great. The flybridge is also easily accessible via stairs, port or starboard.

Sundecks are great, and so are flybridges, but access to either by ladder was not for us. And if you have dogs, getting on and off a boat with ladders is a bear, not to mention a possible safety hazard; especially in foul weather.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #44

City: Mystic
Vessel Name: Outback
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
This 44 Ocean Alexander seems to meet your criteria. Sundeck with cockpit for easy and safe dinghy (and floating dock) access. Large sundeck. Huge amount of interior storage space. Nice joinery. Efficient and bulletproof Ed Monk designed hull. Priced near the high end of your range. Good chance this one will be for sale at the end of the summer.

Attachment 28292

Attachment 28293

Attachment 28294

Attachment 28295
She's a beauty. We have a friend that has the same model boat, and they LOVE her. Ed Monk, Sr was a great Naval Architect, and Jr. is as well.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
We've recently offered our 48 Hatters LRC for sale and have had 2 showings in the past week. Both buyers, seasoned boaters, wanted a boat with NO ladders. There previous boats had ladders.

Our boat has no ladders. While on the hook/mooring, the cockpit is accessible from the dinghy via the swim platform giving easy access to the salon/galley for loading of groceries, etc. And while at the dock the Marquit stairs are great. The flybridge is also easily accessible via stairs, port or starboard.

Sundecks are great, and so are flybridges, but access to either by ladder was not for us. And if you have dogs, getting on and off a boat with ladders is a bear, not to mention a possible safety hazard; especially in foul weather.
The point about ergonomics, in this case stairs, is a good one. On many boats, fabricating a stairway in lieu of a ladder is fairly easy. Since we anchor out and use moorings a lot, we thought for sure we would replace the ladder to the swim platform with some sort of stair. The yard where the boat was when we bought it had done a few of these of various configurations, and one or two in the marina at the time, including another Hatteras. The sage and honest yard owner said "why don't you cruise the boat awhile, then see what you really want". Seven years and many many hundreds of climbs to/from the platform later, there is still just the ladder. We found it easy enough to get groceries, baggage, and other paraphernalia to the floor of the aft deck . We and our friends turned out to still be spry enough to climb a 6 foot ladder, even ones who initially thought otherwise. But I understand it is definitely an issue for some people with disabilities, and the type of thing that has to be taken into account when buying, as we did.

However, getting up to the flying bridge, a very important and heavily used venue on our boat, was another matter. My wife would look at boats with ladders (common to larger Hatteras MYs), even ones with partial hand rails, and ask "how am I supposed to get the cocktails and hors'oeurves up there?" So, when we found our boat this was the "closer":

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I hate ladders!