Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Moving aboard in April!

We're very excited!! Things kind of fell into place. The marina has capacity for us in a liveaboard status, we have a renter for the house, my boss (one year, eight months until retirement) has no problem with a minor change to my schedule, the last of the kids are squared away, the dog likes it... everything is coming together. Need to hold a massive garage sale in late January or early February. Will start moving some things like clothes, the printer, etc, in March. It's all coming together in a very organic way.

YIPPEE!
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We're very excited!! Things kind of fell into place. The marina has capacity for us in a liveaboard status, we have a renter for the house, my boss (one year, eight months until retirement) has no problem with a minor change to my schedule, the last of the kids are squared away, the dog likes it... everything is coming together. Need to hold a massive garage sale in late January or early February. Will start moving some things like clothes, the printer, etc, in March. It's all coming together in a very organic way.

YIPPEE!
Congrats!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: LI or Fla
The challenge will be reducing your material object footprint. Even when we move from one house to a retirement house it was a lot of work getting rid of stuff, all the best!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
The challenge will be reducing your material object footprint. Even when we move from one house to a retirement house it was a lot of work getting rid of stuff, all the best!
LOL I agree. We are on our 4th downsizing. Hold hard with the Admiral that you get at least 1 drawer in the the boat for your junk. She gets all the rest by default!!

Enjoy your adventure. We are also full time cruisers.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new lifestyle. Enjoy!
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Congrats on your ability to make the move. It's important what ASD said about keeping your space but remember, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
All I can say is, you will love it or you will hate it, there is no in between. Getting rid of material things will either liberate you or stress you out.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
All I can say is, you will love it or you will hate it, there is no in between. Getting rid of material things will either liberate you or stress you out.
My stuff is unusual and part of my 'undeclared' estate.

Plus the bed etc has been in the family for over 75 years.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
your our new hero! keep us advised as to progress and challenges..
Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I envy you, I really do. Although I dream of moving on board the Admiral is very lukewarm about it. She would consider it if we kept the dirt home available but that is another issue.

I have two things I am very attached to and just can't see myself selling off or giving away. One is my collection of firearms. Some have a very heavy sentimental value to me. Many have not been carried in many years but I am still very attached to them. The other is my "shop", both woodworking and garage type. I carry a ton of tools on the boat but would certainly miss my table saw, radial arm saw and welding things.

I don't even carry a gun on board and have all the tools I will need for boat maintenance on board but just can't picture myself with these two things which have been a large part of being me for many years.

Any suggestions?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #11

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I envy you, I really do. Although I dream of moving on board the Admiral is very lukewarm about it. She would consider it if we kept the dirt home available but that is another issue.

I have two things I am very attached to and just can't see myself selling off or giving away. One is my collection of firearms. Some have a very heavy sentimental value to me. Many have not been carried in many years but I am still very attached to them. The other is my "shop", both woodworking and garage type. I carry a ton of tools on the boat but would certainly miss my table saw, radial arm saw and welding things.

I don't even carry a gun on board and have all the tools I will need for boat maintenance on board but just can't picture myself with these two things which have been a large part of being me for many years.

Any suggestions?

pete
Quote 'I don't even carry a gun onboard' ��
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:

Any suggestions?

pete
Yessir- it’s just stuff.

Choose experiences over stuff.

OR- get a bigger boat

Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
your our new hero! keep us advised as to progress and challenges..
Will do.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. It was actually my wife's idea to accelerate the plans and move aboard early. We did the math and it's the best move.

Quote:

Any suggestions?

pete
As Pau Hana Peter said, it's just stuff. However, if that stuff is important to you, then it's important. Where there is a will, there is a way. If you really want to move aboard, you could always move your things into a secured storage room or rent a small shop.

John
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Giving up the shop was the hardest. What I have discovered, it’s cheaper to pay a shop to fabricate your designs than to pay for the space month after month.

Storage is the most difficult to manage. I have had a 8x10 for 20 years. Rent started at $100 a month, now up to $275 a month. It’s full of dive gear, ski gear, bikes, tools, spare clothes, spare boat parts, food items and until recently Xmas decorations.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I have considered selling the dirt home and most of the land, I have about 15 acres, very near town. I could build a garage package complete with plumbing roughed in and well insulated but not finished. Use it for storage for a few years while we live aboard and then when we age out of boating convert the garage package into a humble abode. If we are still interested in bikes, shops, guns,cars, etc. we can add another garage or pole building later.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Guru

My comments regarding "stuff' come from my inlaws being addicted to their stuff....after retirement, they put their stuff in storage (much of it nearly new) and went traveling for 10 years in a 5th wheel.

Upon their return, they promptly sold 75% of the stuff they had paid to store for 10 years.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
My comments regarding "stuff' come from my inlaws being addicted to their stuff....after retirement, they put their stuff in storage (much of it nearly new) and went traveling for 10 years in a 5th wheel.

Upon their return, they promptly sold 75% of the stuff they had paid to store for 10 years.
Many of us have heard similar stories. Sure makes one rethink putting stuff in storage.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Wifey B: Don't even have to look at your shop and guns, you sort of answered the full question there. Translation of lukewarm is "doesn't really want to do it." I'm not lukewarm about boating, I'm passionate, but if talk was about selling our home, I'd be "h... no, no way."

Would consider it translates "really opposed but can be bribed."

Point is you're a couple and you have reservations about giving up a few things but your wife is opposed to selling the home, opposed to moving on board full time. Time to start searching for solutions that meet both of your desires and work for you both. Really, it's person A likes this but B likes this but both A and B find this ok so it's what you go with. You give up on trying to convince each other of your way or their way and you figure out an "our way."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
I have considered selling the dirt home and most of the land, I have about 15 acres, very near town. I could build a garage package complete with plumbing roughed in and well insulated but not finished. Use it for storage for a few years while we live aboard and then when we age out of boating convert the garage package into a humble abode. If we are still interested in bikes, shops, guns,cars, etc. we can add another garage or pole building later.

pete
Slab concert floors are COLD on the feet, even with carpet.

LOL Pete, stop blaming your wife for your own reservations. Remember, she sleeps with you and she could use a pillow for more than sleeping on it.