Mail while living aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dochoppy

So if we are living aboard and have sold our house and moved onto a boat, does the boat have an address or use the marinas address? P.O box has its own set of issues as in using it as an address. Are there companies that provide mail services without using a P.O. box?

Thanks in advance

So if we are living aboard and have sold our house and moved onto a boat, does the boat have an address or use the marinas address? P.O box has its own set of issues as in using it as an address. Are there companies that provide mail services without using a P.O. box?

Thanks in advance
Check with your marina. Mine will accept packages but isn't set up for receiving all mail. I have a PO Box. When I need to provide a physical address (DMV, voter registration, etc) then I provide the marina address. Most places can handle separate mailing and physical addresses. I have not had a problem yet.

Richard

You need to pick a location as your legal residence for tax, license and other purposes. Many use a relative's address. But St Brendan's Isle noted above can help you set up their address as your legal residence and it is a no income tax state.

Whether you register your boat (and pay sales and/or property tax) is dependent on where you use it, not where your legal residence is located.

St Brendan's is geared for boaters and can sort your mail, make pdf copies and email to you or hold and overnight your mail to marinas that you select along the way.

David

Last edited:
UPS store charges $60 a year for a box, it has a physical address and suite number. When you call them and give your pass word they will mail all your stuff to the address you give them.

I too use St Brendans. In the Exumas for three months and they scan in the front of my mail. I then select "not mine, "shred," "hold," or scan. If I chose scan they open the mail and scan the contents for me which is available in pdf format the next day. I can then chose to shred, or hold.

Even after I return and have my mail reverted to my house I can keep my St Brendan;' account open by keeping $10 in the account with them until I go cruising again!

BTW, when they scan a bill I then use Wells Fargo Bill Pay to pay it.

EZPZ.

Your marina can be your street address. Also, commercial mailbox locations can be. St. Brendan's is the best known among boaters. There are many centers that specialize in RV'ers. Then in Atlanta there are several that specialize in pilots and traveling nurses.

St. Brendan's has one advantage by being in FL and that is it can be your physical residence, appear on your driver's license, etc., and it can be used to establish Florida residency.

One of the big questions is where do you intend to keep your boat.

If you want to re-establish residency to FL, you need to take several key formal steps that remove/renounce your previous residency. Until you do so, the previous state will still consider you to be a resident. FL does have the advantage over GA of no state income tax.

Thank you menzies great info i did not knownthat ghey did all that....
BandB, we are looking at possibly relocating to FL, but not sure if we will do that right off the jump. Will keep the house for at least a year. Have been looking at marinas and morring areas in savannah and brunswick areas as well as jacksonville and as far south as miami

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom