Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Fairview, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
Mail/permanent address question

What do you use for address if living aboard? Here is my situation: sold the house, have a six months leased apartment with the goal of being on a boat by this fall. Plan to tour Florida, ICW and maybe do the Loop. So what do I do for a mailing address? I talked with one of the post offices in a box, I can rent a box and he will send my mail when I request. Is that a good idea and/or are their better options?

Thanks
James
__________________
Advertisement

jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Most of the cruising liveaboards I know and insure uae family as a mailing address vice a service- less drama. That is our plan when we get to the point of extended cruising...
__________________

__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Nokomis
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 181
I used these people for years with a great experience.

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle
harbor950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,745
Just a PO Box doesn't work anymore. You can have a physical address and a PO Box, but you can't have a PO Box without a physical address.

My recommendation is to use a professional mail forwarding service as mentioned in the previous post. They give you the physical address and professional services. You get what you pay for.

We have seen many times where family members are trying to forward mail, track some bills, etc. for cruisers. For a month or so it seems to work but longer than that, things seem to fall through the cracks and then they fly home and sign up with a professional service. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just my observation.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Member
 
City: Bording
Country: Denmark
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 22
One of the things i love about my country is that we dont get bills in the mail very often

Everything is automatic and electronic

think ive gotten 5 bills in the mail in the 7 years since i bought my house
Torben DH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Guru
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,716
UPS Store is great! You get a physical address, forwarding services if you need it. They can accept any kind of shipment, including truck freight, and can sign for your packages if needed. That's what I've used for years.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,919
If you are a live aboard and you cut your ties with the dirt there are very few bills to be received/paid by mail. I write one check per month and that is for the pump out the rest is electronic. We have not had a physical address for 10+ years, if they ask I give them the post office address. We pay cash, debit card and/or electronically. We will probable have to use a UPS store or something like that to forward our mail when we retire.

I been reading Lee Child’s Reach series of books, who is a drifter with no processions, and the only tie is his bank account, which he zeroes out each month. Next years when we retire we are going to move the boat around and buy a motor home so we will sort of drop out/off the radar. After we sell the Eagle/motor home, we are going to be liquid, rent with only personal items that we can carry/ship. Poor us!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Newbie
 
City: Charleston SC
Country: United States
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Technology marches on: Rather than using mail forwarding with UPS, why not try a Mail Forwarding Service. You use the address they assign you like UPS, but when mail comes in they scan it and post to your secure site.

You can then sign-on to your account, open your mail in the form of PDF documents, read, print and then they will shread. If they have checks for you, you can print and if your bank (like Bank of America), accepts pictures of checks, you can deposit to your account and have them shread the check.

Or they will forward for you.

There are many companies that do this, just google it, here is an example of one:
https://www.earthclassmail.com/?gcli...Fezm7Aod8woAZQ
JamesHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
..We have not had a physical address for 10+ years, if they ask I give them the post office address...
Phil: What physical address is on your drivers license? We use to be able to use Friday Harbor Marina but the DMV said no more and wanted a land physical address. Recently we changed health insurance companies and we had to send them a copy of something like a bill or drivers license that matched an address, no PO Box's allowed. Things have sure changed since 9/11.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
I used these people for years with a great experience.

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle
Ditto on St. Brendan's Isle!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
islandtimecruiser's Avatar
 
City: Cape Coral,Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Just a PO Box doesn't work anymore. You can have a physical address and a PO Box, but you can't have a PO Box without a physical address.

My recommendation is to use a professional mail forwarding service as mentioned in the previous post. They give you the physical address and professional services. You get what you pay for.

We have seen many times where family members are trying to forward mail, track some bills, etc. for cruisers. For a month or so it seems to work but longer than that, things seem to fall through the cracks and then they fly home and sign up with a professional service. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just my observation.
Recently we opened a P.O. Box with the local Post Office. We have a box number AND can use the street address of the post office (for UPS and FedEx deliveries and others like some credit cards that need a physical address). I think it's a new service and may not be available everywhere yet. We were pleasantly surprised. I guess the post office is trying to reinvent itself.

Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
New Federal requirement on drivers licenses may mean liveaboard boaters may do some lying/forging, etc in the future.

I called the state capital and in NJ they explained to me that basically if you live on a boat it's TS...no drivers license...you can't meet the Fed regs for proof of residency.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Phil: What physical address is on your drivers license? We use to be able to use Friday Harbor Marina but the DMV said no more and wanted a land physical address. Recently we changed health insurance companies and we had to send them a copy of something like a bill or drivers license that matched an address, no PO Box's allowed. Things have sure changed since 9/11.


The marinas address with slip number as the apt number.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
One long term favorite,

Nato Mail Forwarding - Florida address - Mail Forwarding for RV ...

natomail.com/‎
Nato Mail Forwarding, Sarasota, Florida has been providng a Florida addess and mailing services to travelers and businesses all over the world for over 50 ...



Nato Mail Forwarding

Nato Mail Forwarding, Sarasota, Florida has been providng a ...





Pricing

Pricing. The fees for using NATO Mail forwarding service are as ...





Contact Us

Contact us about mail forwarding. ... Contact Information. Office ...





Info Pack

1. NATO Mail. PO Box 1418. Sarasota, Florida 34230. Toll ...



More results from natomail.com »
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member
 
islandtimecruiser's Avatar
 
City: Cape Coral,Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

The marinas address with slip number as the apt number.
That's the address on our drivers license and voters registration.

Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member
 
City: Fairview, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
Thanks everyone. Great info. I hadn't even thought about driver's license and voter reg. I sincerely appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Thanks, looking forward to joining the club.

James
jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
New Federal requirement on drivers licenses may mean liveaboard boaters may do some lying/forging, etc in the future.

I called the state capital and in NJ they explained to me that basically if you live on a boat it's TS...no drivers license...you can't meet the Fed regs for proof of residency.

This is not the case in FL....for 14 of the past 20 years I carried a CDL-A with a X endorsement (HAZMAT Tanker)....and I lived on our boat. All I had to do to prove my "residency" was to produce a copy of my slip lease in the marina and a utility bill...and I also furnished a copy of my bank statement...and my voters registration showing the marina address with my slip #....no problem. I met all of the requirements the state and the Feds required. And my requirements on residency are more stringent because of the HAZMAT endorsement...and I had to pass a Federal background check every 4 years at renewal...well, not any more as I am retired now.

I do believe the party you spoke to is wrong, or simply does not know what they were talking about.

Here's why:

If you live on a boat in a rented slip.....whats the difference between that and living in a rented house or rented apartment? In reality, NOTHING, as both are rented....one is just wetter.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
This is not the case in FL....for 14 of the past 20 years I carried a CDL-A with a X endorsement (HAZMAT Tanker)....and I lived on our boat. All I had to do to prove my "residency" was to produce a copy of my slip lease in the marina and a utility bill...and I also furnished a copy of my bank statement...and my voters registration showing the marina address with my slip #....no problem. I met all of the requirements the state and the Feds required. And my requirements on residency are more stringent because of the HAZMAT endorsement...and I had to pass a Federal background check every 4 years at renewal...well, not any more as I am retired now.

I do believe the party you spoke to is wrong, or simply does not know what they were talking about.

Here's why:

If you live on a boat in a rented slip.....whats the difference between that and living in a rented house or rented apartment? In reality, NOTHING, as both are rented....one is just wetter.
It was supposed to change this year...I said the same as you and they said no dice....but you have a few items not all liveaboards might have.

It's not about the difference in lifestye...it's about proving the physical address with the right documentation. You had a utility bill and other mail to the marina address so that may have met it in the past and possibly the new requirements...me I don't have a utility bill at the marina or any other mail as the marina doesn't accept private mail as of yet (thus all I had was a post office box).

For anyone who cares...just don't assume I am wrong and others are right...or whether you can meet the requirements or not....I suggest you check with your DMV to be sure before the time comes and you are caught with your pants down as I almost was earlier this year.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member
 
islandtimecruiser's Avatar
 
City: Cape Coral,Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
I just renewed my drivers license in Florida. I had a copy of my slip agreement, a receipt for recent payment, Passport, and my marriage license (for women, it seems the new law wants to make sure I didn't arbitrarily change my name). I told them I lived in a marina so they added my slip # just like an apt. number.


Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimecruiser View Post
I just renewed my drivers license in Florida. I had a copy of my slip agreement, a receipt for recent payment, Passport, and my marriage license (for women, it seems the new law wants to make sure I didn't arbitrarily change my name). I told them I lived in a marina so they added my slip # just like an apt. number.


Gina
That's good news...hopefully the people at the DMV local office will be more cooperative than the one in the NJ state capitol.
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012