Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Don't tell them you live on a boat. Just give them an address.

Also I never call as its easy for them to go by the book where as the clerk just wants to fill in the blanks and act like you know nothing and be polite with a smile.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's good news...hopefully the people at the DMV local office will be more cooperative than the one in the NJ state capitol.

The trick is I find down here....is never ask on the phone.....go to the office.

I used to even have my PO box on my license....but after the Patriot act was passed...I couldn't with my class of license. Funny thing...they wanted my physical address on the license, even though it was always provided...but given my job...I was only there a couple of days a month...oh duh...

JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #23
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Don't tell them you live on a boat. Just give them an address.

Also I never call as its easy for them to go by the book where as the clerk just wants to fill in the blanks and act like you know nothing and be polite with a smile.
That isn't likely to work here in FL....when they put in the address...the computer tells them it is a "commercial address"....that's when you have to politely explain (usually) how there is no difference between a rented apartment and a rented slip....and have the papers to prove it.

This link below is a list of the items by type that you need in FL to get a license or renew a license..... you can see down on the lower part of the page....under #3 it allows for using boat registration if you live on your boat.
(Documented boats are registered in FL...but not titled)..

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One issue for some is that not all areas allow liveaboard marinas...and even though the marinas often allow it...some of us don't necessarily want to upset the bee hive so using the marina as the address is a bit tricky.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvoss View Post
What do you use for address if living aboard? Here is my situation: sold the house, have a six months leased apartment with the goal of being on a boat by this fall. Plan to tour Florida, ICW and maybe do the Loop. So what do I do for a mailing address? I talked with one of the post offices in a box, I can rent a box and he will send my mail when I request. Is that a good idea and/or are their better options?

Thanks
James
We really like St Brendan's Isle. If you wish, they will open your mail,scan the contents, and email you a picture. Also help with boat registration, drivers licenses, voter registration . You will meet lots of cruisers with a Green Cove Springs address.
Bill Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
FF
Guru

To receive mail as you cruise the fwd service can send it to post offices "general Delivery , hold for Captain Chaos".

Usually simply asking at the desk will get the mail, although a few want to see ID like a drivers license .

Most PO will hold the mail for 2 -3 weeks , so if you run late , no problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
I would strongly suggust that you be very careful here - each state has different laws regarding residency which can effect state income tax and what mailing address you use could be a problem. Each individual case and each state will reselt in a different answer. Since 9/11 it isn't quite as simple as it use to be. Don't ask me how I know !!!

tracie is offline   Reply With Quote