LPG StoveTops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@boakpoker - Correct, and all the more reason to treat the stove, and propane system with great respect, make sure it it watched at all times, and if there are children onboard that they don't play with the knobs!

Unless you cook a lot, and are going to exotic locations, do you really need a 20lb propane bottle? Running just the stove and doing a lot of grilling it takes us 2 seasons to empty ours. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 10lb bottle.

Unless you cook a lot, and are going to exotic locations, do you really need a 20lb propane bottle? Running just the stove and doing a lot of grilling it takes us 2 seasons to empty ours. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 10lb bottle.

You will save less than ten pounds.. What's the point?

The 20 lb tanks (usually only about 16-17 pounds when purchased) are available all over the place. Not so any non-standard tanks.

I keep a spare tank on board.

Attachments

• 11 propane yellow.jpg
    11 propane yellow.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 172
If I see that in a boat that I am on,I'm going overboard.

What I do want to know is which propane stove tops are you guys using and why did you pick that model.
Thanks in advance

Our boat uses a stove/oven combination, I guess what the house appliance people call a range. Original to the boat was a propane Magic Chef. It had leaky valves when we bought the boat, parts were made of unobtainium, so we had it replaced immediately with a Force 10 range (stovetop, oven, broiler).

I don't know if Force 10 makes a stovetop only but if they do and I wanted a stovetop that's what I'd get. Excellent quality and outstanding (in our experience) customer service. With the exception of a re-designed component that Force 10 supplied for free and then talked me through its installation live over the phone, ours has been trouble-free for 14 years.

As far as we're concerned, there is Force 10 and then several steps down there is everything else.

Our propane system consists of two Worthington 2.5 gallon horizontal aluminum tanks mounted side by side in the propane locker under one of the flying bridge seats. One with OPD and one without--- it's legal to use and refill a non-OPD tank as long as it is a purpose-built horizontal tank. Two tanks are great because if you only have one it is guaranteed to run out of fuel halfway through cooking a meal.

Last edited:
If I see that in a boat that I am on,I'm going overboard.
Via a self determined dive,or the explosion? Equally bad is storing the outboard and/or spare fuel in the bilge or lazarette.
Our LPG/propane bottles are enclosed in a vented area on the flybridge,with a cut-off valve inside the saloon,well before the LPG piping reaches the stove. While those bottles are well restrained,another stored there for the bbq was not so well tied down, I glued in the saucer base for a plastic 300mm flowerpot, the bottle now sits snug and dry in it, restrained with a lashing. BruceK

A phoney smoke stack is a safe place for the propane tank.

img_103842_0_89a22741caad66fc22714945522fd1c3.jpg

(Shown with tank and covering upper part of "stack" removed.)

Have recently installed a new 4 burner Whirlpool cook top in Tidahapah.
It has cut outs. I also have a 2 sensor gas detector with auto shut down solenoid on the gas bottles.
These are 2 x 9 kg (20 lb) in a dedicated ventilated box on top of the wheelhouse. one bottle used to last me about 2.5 months but that was when I had gas hot water.
Not allowed any more in Australia so I have converted to electric, a Force 10 44 lt unit that appears to be doing the job.
I havn't installed any fiddle rails on my cook top yet but going away for a couple of weeks in the boat on Thursday so will try it all out so hopefully the rail design will be correct when I do it.

Attachments

• P1010891.jpg
    P1010891.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 126
Our boat uses a stove/oven combination, I guess what the house appliance people call a range. Original to the boat was a propane Magic Chef. It had leaky valves when we bought the boat, parts were made of unobtainium, so we had it replaced immediately with a Force 10 range (stovetop, oven, broiler).

I don't know if Force 10 makes a stovetop only but if they do and I wanted a stovetop that's what I'd get. Excellent quality and outstanding (in our experience) customer service. With the exception of a re-designed component that Force 10 supplied for free and then talked me through its installation live over the phone, ours has been trouble-free for 14 years.

As far as we're concerned, there is Force 10 and then several steps down there is everything else.

Our propane system consists of two Worthington 2.5 gallon horizontal aluminum tanks mounted side by side in the propane locker under one of the flying bridge seats. One with OPD and one without--- it's legal to use and refill a non-OPD tank as long as it is a purpose-built horizontal tank. Two tanks are great because if you only have one it is guaranteed to run out of fuel halfway through cooking a meal.

My boat came equipped with the Force 10 three burner/oven/broiler range as well. It has all the ABYC required safety features. My propane system is also ABYC compliant.

Propane must command the same or greater respect as gasoline on a boat. This is no place to cut corners or improvise with non compliant products or installations.

ABYC here:
http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

Last edited:
............. I glued in the saucer base for a plastic 300mm flowerpot, the bottle now sits snug and dry in it, restrained with a lashing. BruceK

Home centers have purpose made bases for standard propane tanks. About $9. I used to use a flower pot base but it collected water and rusted the propane tank. Now I have a proper base.

014045308045lg.jpg

Via a self determined dive,or the explosion? Equally bad is storing the outboard and/or spare fuel in the bilge or lazarette.
Our LPG/propane bottles are enclosed in a vented area on the flybridge,with a cut-off valve inside the saloon,well before the LPG piping reaches the stove. While those bottles are well restrained,another stored there for the bbq was not so well tied down, I glued in the saucer base for a plastic 300mm flowerpot, the bottle now sits snug and dry in it, restrained with a lashing. BruceK

Hopefully by self determined dive.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom