Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Might grab one in case I ever run out of gas.

A couple cans of chilli and a box of crackers is cheaper.Oh,you were referring to propane.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=BruceK;97301]LPG beats firing up the genset for coffee or tea.
A marine one, like our new 3 burner plus oven Italian made "SMEV",will have gas cutoffs if the flame goes out.

Snap Bruce, I have also have a SMEV, mine is a combination 3 burner and sink in one , absolutely love it, very neat and works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	12593   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	12594  

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I replaced my old Princess range with a Fagor induction cook top and microwave/conduction oven. I run them through a 20A SPDT switch. Pics = 1) old unit, 2) new unit, butcher block top covering cooktop, 3) butcher block top up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen-shot-2011-05-20-a-04.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	12595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley 2 copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	12596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley 1 copy.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	12597  
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #24

City: Middle River, MD
Vessel Name: Ment Tu Be
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Double Cabin
Looks good. What convection did you select?
Papafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
When I bought it several months ago I checked out all of the reviews online & found that the 1 cubic foot Sanyo had excellent reviews. I just looked it up and it says it is now discontinued, but they may have just replaced it with a different model.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Induction tops are smooth.

Make up a set of sea rails , and perhaps a set of pot holders so a passing wake wont slide the boiling dinner onto the cook!

Used shops frequently have bins of parts that may contain stove top hardware, worth a look.

For folks redoing a galley remember an athwartships (side to side against an internal bulkhead) range does not toss its contents on the cook too often..On most boats the roll is far more pronounced than the pitch moment.

The against the hull configuration is far more dangerous and perhaps the bucks for a gimboled sail boat with fiddles model might save some cook scalding?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #27

City: Middle River, MD
Vessel Name: Ment Tu Be
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Double Cabin
Smile Installed and working

Got the induction stove top installed in Ment Tu Be and made a cover out of a plastic cutting board (SAMS CLUB) to lay over it when not in use. Gives it protection and us more space to land stuff. You have all been a great source of information and inspiration.
Papafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #28

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Interesting thread. We have an RV Magic Chef, works great. Unless you're planning on going offshore, or spend a lot of time in bouncy anchorages a marine stove is a mighty pricey item.

Cooking underway on anything smaller than 40' and up is generally foolish unless you have no choice. Many years ago I talked some folks with a 32' Grand Banks who were making burgers while underway, the grease splattered and caught fire. They estimate it took the boat less than two minutes to sink once the flaming grease hit the teak & holly sole. No kidding, this was off Catalina Island. Needless to say we have lots of fire extinguishers aboard.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
FF
Guru

If use underway in rough weather is required , the Sea Swing with a Primus kerosene burner will work.

Small but it has served circumnavigators for decades ,

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea+...w=1280&bih=611
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Careful .... many older "marine stoves" and camping stoves do not have the thermocouples required by ABYC. In case of flame failure a thermocouple shuts off the propane at the burner. No thermocouple and your entire propane tank can dump into your galley.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #31

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
@boakpoker - Correct, and all the more reason to treat the stove, and propane system with great respect, make sure it it watched at all times, and if there are children onboard that they don't play with the knobs!

Unless you cook a lot, and are going to exotic locations, do you really need a 20lb propane bottle? Running just the stove and doing a lot of grilling it takes us 2 seasons to empty ours. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 10lb bottle.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
Unless you cook a lot, and are going to exotic locations, do you really need a 20lb propane bottle? Running just the stove and doing a lot of grilling it takes us 2 seasons to empty ours. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 10lb bottle.
You will save less than ten pounds.. What's the point?

The 20 lb tanks (usually only about 16-17 pounds when purchased) are available all over the place. Not so any non-standard tanks.

I keep a spare tank on board.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Most propane installations I see are a bit scary like the photo below and more scary photos in Un-Safe Marine Propane Systems
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11 propane yellow.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	13072  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
If I see that in a boat that I am on,I'm going overboard.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
What I do want to know is which propane stove tops are you guys using and why did you pick that model.
Thanks in advance
Our boat uses a stove/oven combination, I guess what the house appliance people call a range. Original to the boat was a propane Magic Chef. It had leaky valves when we bought the boat, parts were made of unobtainium, so we had it replaced immediately with a Force 10 range (stovetop, oven, broiler).

I don't know if Force 10 makes a stovetop only but if they do and I wanted a stovetop that's what I'd get. Excellent quality and outstanding (in our experience) customer service. With the exception of a re-designed component that Force 10 supplied for free and then talked me through its installation live over the phone, ours has been trouble-free for 14 years.

As far as we're concerned, there is Force 10 and then several steps down there is everything else.

Our propane system consists of two Worthington 2.5 gallon horizontal aluminum tanks mounted side by side in the propane locker under one of the flying bridge seats. One with OPD and one without--- it's legal to use and refill a non-OPD tank as long as it is a purpose-built horizontal tank. Two tanks are great because if you only have one it is guaranteed to run out of fuel halfway through cooking a meal.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
If I see that in a boat that I am on,I'm going overboard.
Via a self determined dive,or the explosion? Equally bad is storing the outboard and/or spare fuel in the bilge or lazarette.
Our LPG/propane bottles are enclosed in a vented area on the flybridge,with a cut-off valve inside the saloon,well before the LPG piping reaches the stove. While those bottles are well restrained,another stored there for the bbq was not so well tied down, I glued in the saucer base for a plastic 300mm flowerpot, the bottle now sits snug and dry in it, restrained with a lashing. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: -
PS--- I just looked and Force 10 does indeed make a cooktop only in 2 and 3 burner configurations. FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise - Products
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A phoney smoke stack is a safe place for the propane tank.

(Shown with tank and covering upper part of "stack" removed.)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Have recently installed a new 4 burner Whirlpool cook top in Tidahapah.
It has cut outs. I also have a 2 sensor gas detector with auto shut down solenoid on the gas bottles.
These are 2 x 9 kg (20 lb) in a dedicated ventilated box on top of the wheelhouse. one bottle used to last me about 2.5 months but that was when I had gas hot water.
Not allowed any more in Australia so I have converted to electric, a Force 10 44 lt unit that appears to be doing the job.
I havn't installed any fiddle rails on my cook top yet but going away for a couple of weeks in the boat on Thursday so will try it all out so hopefully the rail design will be correct when I do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010891.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	13103  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Our boat uses a stove/oven combination, I guess what the house appliance people call a range. Original to the boat was a propane Magic Chef. It had leaky valves when we bought the boat, parts were made of unobtainium, so we had it replaced immediately with a Force 10 range (stovetop, oven, broiler).

I don't know if Force 10 makes a stovetop only but if they do and I wanted a stovetop that's what I'd get. Excellent quality and outstanding (in our experience) customer service. With the exception of a re-designed component that Force 10 supplied for free and then talked me through its installation live over the phone, ours has been trouble-free for 14 years.

As far as we're concerned, there is Force 10 and then several steps down there is everything else.

Our propane system consists of two Worthington 2.5 gallon horizontal aluminum tanks mounted side by side in the propane locker under one of the flying bridge seats. One with OPD and one without--- it's legal to use and refill a non-OPD tank as long as it is a purpose-built horizontal tank. Two tanks are great because if you only have one it is guaranteed to run out of fuel halfway through cooking a meal.
My boat came equipped with the Force 10 three burner/oven/broiler range as well. It has all the ABYC required safety features. My propane system is also ABYC compliant.

Propane must command the same or greater respect as gasoline on a boat. This is no place to cut corners or improvise with non compliant products or installations.

ABYC here:
http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking, cooktop, gas, lpg, oven, propane, stove