Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards

Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #41
City: North Charleston, SC
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
This discussion is timely for us as we plan our next boat. We continue to struggle with the decision of electric versus gas and understand many of the pro's & con's. Our last three boats used gas and I never thought twice about the safety factor until our last boat when I noticed a leak at the propane tank valve that just made me nervous. Then for some reason started to think about the open flame in the galley. This has driven me to consider an new induction stove top and convection microwave for the safety perspective. My research has discovered that you can run one burner off the inverter without running the Generator. On our little N35 we ran one A/C unit off our inverter when tied to the dock using shore power which would indicate this makes sense. I would like to hear from those with a modern induction stove top and how they operate it. thanks

While you might be able to run one electric burner with an inverter, you won't be able to run it for long. Before you decide to go this route, figure out the current draw and how large a battery bank you would need to cook a meal or two. Also, figure out how you are going to recharge that battery bank. I don't think you'll find it to be a practical solution.

If you find a leak at the propane valve, fix it. A proper ABYC compliant system will include valves and a pressure gauge to allow you to check for leaks. It will also include a propane detector near the appliance.

As for the open flame, it's no different from your gas stove at home and the assumption is that somebody is monitoring the food as it cooks.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #42
City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present

"At those kinds of costs...small, dedicated inverters nearer the appliances needing them starts to make more sense...[/QUOTE]"
Ohms Law dictates the inverter needs to be located as close to the battery as practical in order to accommodate smaller cable. Low voltage, high amps means big heavy cable. High voltage, low amps means small wire. To add more complexity the inverter needs a cool, ventilated,dry environment. After clearing all those hurdles you take a +- 10% hit inverting from 12volts to 110. I have 1125 amps of battery stowage and the only thing I intend to invert is TV and cable box, with the 1500watt pure sine wave inverter with a switch to turn off the inverter. Those 1125 Amps only provide 450 to 500 amps of usable power if battery life is factored in, the way I was taught at battery school. The other AC that will stay aboard, ran only under genset is air conditioning, microwave, toaster oven, coffee pot, and battery charger. Next to March Pumps I despise inverters but they are a tool that serves a purpose and understanding their limitations is important. There ain't no free lunch.
As for propane...though some fear, I am disciple. Have an alarmed sniffer, exterior ventilated propane lockers with a solenoid switched near the stove is the only way to go. If electric cooking is a must, cook while charging batteries, heating water and tending other AC needs using genset.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote