Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
FF
Guru

I don't believe you'll find a propane refrigerator that's approved for use on a boat.

To get an approval costs thousands of dollars , for a small market.

How many folks are really anchor out 356 cruisers?

The Agencies offer guidelines for a good safe install of most any propane device.

With a bottle running a month , most cruisers would only be looking for a refill every 3-4 months , not bad vs 3 months of noisemaker and dead batts.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The real reason there are no propane refrigerators approved for use on a boat is not the cost of approval, it is that by their design they cannot meet the safety standards.

That said, there are no "boat police" to give tickets for unsafe appliances or installations so some folks go ahead and install unapproved appliances believing the risk is small. It's your choice.

If you need to have the boat surveyed for insurance or if you ever want to sell the boat, you'll probably have to remove the unapproved appliance and tanks, hoses, etc.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
I went with propane (for cook top, but not oven), rather than electric, when I had my boat built. However, recognizing that many people have an aversion to propane, I had it wired for electric. If I were you, I would leave your wiring in place in case a future owner wants to switch back.

I would also strongly recommend that the line you use to conduct propane from the propane locker to your stove be made of copper, as it will be much less susceptible to chaffing and deterioration from age. And as was suggested above, make sure you get a safety kit with electric solenoid at the tank (ie, inside the propane locker) and a sniffer at the stove.

Lastly, you might consider burning CNG, rather than propane, as it is lighter than air and therefore much less prone to accumulation and explosion. The only downside, and the reason I didn't go with CNG is that CNG is not as readily available as propane, particularly outside of the US.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I have an RV propane fridge with 4 20# tanks under the flybridge in my 1983 trawler. Fridge has been installed for 20 years. Boat has been bought and sold 3 times since then and passed survey and insurance. Maybe it's just luck.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Hmmm LP fridge hmmmmmmmmmmm
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'll probably go propane refrigerator when the time comes. My 50 year old boat is gas powered so by some folks estimation it's due to explode anyway.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #27
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
After 2 boats with propane, we found that refilling/exchanging tanks was a PITA when cruising long distances. Usually needed a car rental just to refill the tank. We replaced our Princess with a ceramic top electric and the chief cook loves it. Cleans up in an instant, spills that harden can be removed with a razor scraper and the heat control is infinite and fast. You do need to run the genny and we don't mind that at all. Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I have an RV propane fridge with 4 20# tanks under the flybridge in my 1983 trawler. Fridge has been installed for 20 years. Boat has been bought and sold 3 times since then and passed survey and insurance. Maybe it's just luck.
Or maybe just three clueless surveyors
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #29
FF
Guru

The use of Propane on a vessel is like other religions , anchor choice , gas or diesel, or single vs twin.

The folks terrorized by gasoline or propane will always have too much fear to be comfortable on a boat with either installed.

However ALL the choices are valid , the question is what fits your Desirements.

I love propane , and fear those 15 lb watch fob anchors on 50 fters upwind!!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #30
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Talked with a friend today who owns a 42' OA. He was contemplating adding a inverter before he and his wife start on the loop this fall. The cost of the inverter was $2000.00 and change, the install cost was $8000.00 at Port Charles marina north of St. Louis. I told him $8000.00 would buy a lot of diesel fuel and I would leave everything as it is because he would be adding another system and the possible problems that may arise over time. Another plus no additional batteries to buy, lug around and maintain.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Talked with a friend today who owns a 42' OA. He was contemplating adding a inverter before he and his wife start on the loop this fall. The cost of the inverter was $2000.00 and change, the install cost was $8000.00 at Port Charles marina north of St. Louis. I told him $8000.00 would buy a lot of diesel fuel and I would leave everything as it is because he would be adding another system and the possible problems that may arise over time. Another plus no additional batteries to buy, lug around and maintain.
I would love to know what went into an $8000 install....may be worth every penny....but something seems off a bit for an inverter/charger install with a remote and even several other hookups....

Unless he went for a new electric panel/switch etc...with a separate inverter buss, etc....

That would be at least 5-8 hr days and another $2000 in parts above the inverter...

At those kinds of costs...small, dedicated inverters nearer the appliances needing them starts to make more sense...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Interesting city you live in Electro!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Interesting city you live in Electro!

The oceans are my home

anything on land is just a cache
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #34
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
The oceans are my home

anything on land is just a cache
Hah! We'll just leave it at cache!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Talked with a friend today who owns a 42' OA. He was contemplating adding a inverter before he and his wife start on the loop this fall. The cost of the inverter was $2000.00 and change, the install cost was $8000.00 at Port Charles marina ...............
There's something very wrong with that installation price. He should get another quote.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #36
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I'll pass on the opinions, I know nothing of what is involved to install a inverter and I thought the price was high or their hourly rate was extreme.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #37
FF
Guru

>.small, dedicated inverters nearer the appliances needing them starts to make more sense...<

Inverters near the appliance would require loads of big loss DC wiring.

An inverter and batt set will loose far less sending 120V for 30-50 ft than choosing a low voltage .with wide distribution.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
After 2 boats with propane, we found that refilling/exchanging tanks was a PITA when cruising long distances. Usually needed a car rental just to refill the tank. We replaced our Princess with a ceramic top electric and the chief cook loves it. Cleans up in an instant, spills that harden can be removed with a razor scraper and the heat control is infinite and fast. You do need to run the genny and we don't mind that at all. Howard
If there's no genset on the boat, propane for cooking makes more sense. Same for if you have a problem with your genset.

My wife and I (and most chefs) would rather cook with gas.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
............. Not having the LP aboard is a nice plus.
I don't find having propane aboard to be a problem at all. It's pretty much "out of sight, out of mind". My wife turns on the switch, lights the stove or oven and cooks as if she were at home. When the tank empties, I swap it with the spare and then refill or exchange the empty one when and where it's convenient.

No problem.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #40
Guru

New Boat Decision

This discussion is timely for us as we plan our next boat. We continue to struggle with the decision of electric versus gas and understand many of the pro's & con's. Our last three boats used gas and I never thought twice about the safety factor until our last boat when I noticed a leak at the propane tank valve that just made me nervous. Then for some reason started to think about the open flame in the galley. This has driven me to consider an new induction stove top and convection microwave for the safety perspective. My research has discovered that you can run one burner off the inverter without running the Generator. On our little N35 we ran one A/C unit off our inverter when tied to the dock using shore power which would indicate this makes sense. I would like to hear from those with a modern induction stove top and how they operate it. thanks

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote