Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Liveaboards
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

City: Hudson, NH
Looking for Marina's accepting live aboards - From Maine to NY.

My wife and I are looking for a Marina that accepts live aboards in the New England region. We're looking to get a trawler between 32'-40'. We checked out DiMillos in Portland, Maine already. Looking for other options as well. We're located in New Hampshire and plan on spending a few winters on the boat, but eventually would like to travel south for the winter. Any good recommendations in the mean time? I tried on Cruiserforums but figured I'd check here with trawler folk!
NathanNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
You're looking specifically for a marina that accepts liveaboards in wintertime? There was a woman on here and other boards that found one in Boston and did so on a large Hatteras motoryacht with her kids. One season of that and she sold the boat and swore off boating forever, moved to California. But anyway I think it was Constitution Marina.

Most marinas turn off water, as well as their pumpout during the winter and many others shut down entirely.

Good Luck!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

City: Cataumet, Cape Cod MA
Vessel Name: Paumanok
Vessel Model: Albin 34 Fast Trawler
Hello,

Harry's Marine in Westbrook, CT accepts year-round liveaboards. They have very accommodating services and restaurants are nearby. I believe that Brewer's in Westbrook also accepts liveaboards but has them in different yards for summer and winter. Good luck.

Marcy
Albin 34 1986
Paumanok
Cape Cod, MA
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
You're looking specifically for a marina that accepts liveaboards in wintertime? There was a woman on here and other boards that found one in Boston and did so on a large Hatteras motoryacht with her kids. One season of that and she sold the boat and swore off boating forever, moved to California. But anyway I think it was Constitution Marina.

Most marinas turn off water, as well as their pumpout during the winter and many others shut down entirely.

Good Luck!
Yeah, a LOT of them do. DiMillos in Portland Maine keeps one tap open year round so you can still get water with a massive hose. Hopefully it's the case in other places as well. I wonder why that woman swore it off. Maybe too much work and money for something like that? Anyways, we're up for the challenge!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Hello,

Harry's Marine in Westbrook, CT accepts year-round liveaboards. They have very accommodating services and restaurants are nearby. I believe that Brewer's in Westbrook also accepts liveaboards but has them in different yards for summer and winter. Good luck.

Marcy
Albin 34 1986
Paumanok
Cape Cod, MA
We'll keep that in mind! Thanks! Btw How are you enjoying the Albin 34? We're looking at maybe an Albin 36. It looks like with Albins, the engine is tough to get too. Is that the case?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

City: Cataumet, Cape Cod MA
Vessel Name: Paumanok
Vessel Model: Albin 34 Fast Trawler
Hi,

Not sure about the Albin 36"s but our engine - a Cummins 210 turbo is easy to service when we put the floor all the way up. Our entire saloon floor comes up when we have bigger jobs to do on the engine (we had to replace the rear main oil seal, installed a reconditioned head, replaced motor mounts). Otherwise there are 2 hatches that offer access to the fore and aft part of the engine - does require a bit of contortion and its helpful to have long arms. My 6'2" husband and I (5'9") are still able to do the gumby like maneuvers often needed for oil changes and winterization. Good luck in your search and seriously look at and think about climbing down into whatever engine compartment you look at and consider performing normal maintenance.

Marcy
Albin 34 1986
Cape Cod, MA
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Brewers Dauntless Shipyard in Essex, Ct allows year round live aboards and I am one of them. They have a great team of year round workers, friendly full service staff and they are located one block outside of nostalgic town.
They turn off the dock water but there is a frost free faucet within 200' that we can fill up our tanks with. They have no provisions (yet) for dockside pumpout so that is the only inconvenience. They do have a heads, showers and laundry in there main building which is another 200' feet away. They do a great job with snow removal also.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: ALEKA
Vessel Model: 43 Albin
Badgers Island Marina Kittery ME
captnscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Also check South Port Marina in S. Portland, ME and Ragged Rock Marina in Old Saybrook, CT. Both have (at least in the past) allowed a limited number of winter liveaboards.

I thought I heard Badger's Island wasn't allowing them anymore, but it may be that the person who told me that was turned away because they were already full or something.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #10

City: New York
Huntington Long Island has one..maybe two..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
People have wintered over in Belfast, ME. I also know people who spent the Winter in Northeast Harbor, ME. Ice can be an issue in Northteast Harbor. You might give Dysarts Great Harbor Marina in Southwest Harbor, ME. They won't have water on the docks and I don't know about power, but they have space.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #12

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: ALEKA
Vessel Model: 43 Albin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Also check South Port Marina in S. Portland, ME and Ragged Rock Marina in Old Saybrook, CT. Both have (at least in the past) allowed a limited number of winter liveaboards.

I thought I heard Badger's Island wasn't allowing them anymore, but it may be that the person who told me that was turned away because they were already full or something.
Badgers could possible be full. If your interested call them. The east side of the marina does liveaboards
captnscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
We're at Charlestown Marina in Boston - very accommodating to liveaboards. Just like Constitution Marina (down the street), there are heated water lines to keep the water running all winter. You simply buy a heated garden hose from amazon and shore water runs all winter.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Nathan: Any luck yet? I'm currently researching liveaboard marinas in Boston for my full time liveaboard status in November of this year.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 AM   #15

City: New York
Huntington village Long Island..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote