Looking to buy and liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puddlejumper

So my wife and I are going to buy a trawler the question is which one. For me it's all about sea worthiness and dexterity I want a solid boat. Ive been a boat mechanic for 12 years so I'm not afraid of a fixer upper. I was wondering if Anybody could tell me the ups and downs they have experienced with the 38 foot albines. Thanks hope this works I've never posted on a forum before.

Puddlejumper, good luck. Some of the things I have learned is to shop around and look at different layouts. You will see there are lots of boats with lots of options but there will be trade offs, as no boat will have everything. Important for me was condition of motors, and hull. Expect to put about 10-20 percent of price back into the boat for maintenance and repairs.

this is a fun and often expasperating time.. enjoy it. and good luck!

It would help if give some information about you boating experience, have you look at other boats and how long, price range and year age of boat and your location and what does your wife think?

There have been seveal past discussions you might find useful.

Well me and my wife have been living on a 34 foot sail boat since may with a very custom and strange layout ( its my bosses boat. designed for a single guy ) oh and it has no fridge we've been living out of a electric cooler. So we can manage most things. I've been looking at albines and monks marine trader Choy lee and the grand banks classic all around 36 to 38 feet. My main concern is the hull and decks and stringers. Which boats have a history of water intrusion and delamination. I plan to customize the interior and ships system. In a few years I would like to take it south from Toronto to Florida every year we plan to raise a kid on the boat as well. Big plans I know, but we are not dirt people as I like to say we love the water and the lifestyle. Oh yeah our price is 40000 max. Thanks for the reply oh and have you heard anything about the califonian pros and cons. My wife really loves the older monks and albines. Thanks agian.

"For me it's all about sea worthiness"

Describe your concept of "seaworthy".

Your answer may change your investment by 300% or 400%.

I raised a son aboard a 34 foot sailboat and lived on two different boat for 12 years. I am a disgruntled dirt dweller at the moment. I hope to break the ties to land once again. Congratulation on finding a woman that will live with onboard. I found one myself.

So you presently live in Toronto? Is Toranto the place you plan on being a live aboard?

The cold/rain/snow fall winter is coming and being a live aboard is more about basics. heat, water, sanitation, dry roof/bilge than stability of the boat. What ever boat you buy make sure you have it surveyed, as the present condition is more important than the name brand for older/used boats. You are going to be hard pressed to find a cold climate live aboard boat for 40 grand. It might be better to buy and finance a more expensive baot that is live a aboard ready, and meets your needs?

The only reason my wife has lived on the boat for 15+ years is because she found, aprroved and bought the Eagle. So make sure your wife/SO has a big and final say on the boat

Last edited:
Alfton, years ago a dock mate found a woman who would live aboard with him. His wife objected.

Puddlejumper, when walking the docks, list the boats you like and then do some research as to price on yachtworld.com. Brand is secondary as compared to budget and fixer upper time. Back yards and marinas are littered with unfinished dreams (derelicts) so plan accordingly.

I live in Toronto and go south every winter for the whole winter I only live in Toronto from April to the end of November because I'm a boat mechanic. I know what systems I need and don't need all I want to know is which boat out of the ones I listed are subjected to structural issues such as delamination water intrusion and what not. For example the marine traders have a tendency to get water intrusion in the deck or the albino 38 has a tendency to leak around the windows because of the teak trim.

I ment albine 38 ( stupid IPhone ) how was it raising a son on the boat alfin any advice

Avoid the monk 36, they bob like a cork and are extremely uncomfortable in anything but a very light chop (now I'm gonna get shot my Monk owners). Do a search on yachworld for trawlers under 40' and and include steel in the advanced search. I've surveyed many orphan (home built, small builders etc.) steel boats that were much better built than most production boats. They tend to go for much less because they are little known and because most people look for brand name plastic. Say hi to Robert for me ..... did she like the T-shirt ?:)

It takes some additional information/replies to get a better understanding.

It depends, as mentioned before the condition of the boat today is more important than the potential short coming of a particular brand of boat. If not maintain they all could/will leak and have soft spots. However, teak decks and wood frames do have a bad reputation for leaking which is the owners fault for not maintaining. The Eagle has teak decks and wood frame windows that do not leak or have soft spots. However, I do inspect/maintain them yearly.

The two same boats can be like night/day depending on how they were maintained. So make sure you have the boat surveyed, but for you buy. Also being a live aboard the lay out/style of the boat is more important than the name brand. As mentioned before off brand boats can be in better condition and sell for less than name brands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom