Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #61

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
That got everyone's hopes up, and made sure I ALWAYS had an audience for docking maneuvers... No pressure, right? Lol. I think this time I'll tell people I'm the ship's cook.

I've had no formal captains training, but somehow I always end up driving everyone's boat... I don't know why that always happens.

toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #62
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Wonderfully put.

I did much the same for five years before we bought Dauntless. However, I did not get rid of enough land stuff.

If you buy right, you can sell right.

Have fun, good luck

a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #63
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. One mistake I learned from with my last boat, was letting too many people know what I do for a living. That got everyone's hopes up, and made sure I ALWAYS had an audience for docking maneuvers... No pressure, right? Lol. I think this time I'll tell people I'm the ship's cook.

LOL, yeah I can see that.

On my cruise a couple weeks ago I hung out at times in the pilothouse. Captainís standing orders were that no passengers were to be in the PH during anchoring, docking, crossing bars, or passing through narrow channels. As I got to know her I found that if I kept my mouth shut, the Captain didnít mind if I was there when she was at the helm.

As such, I had the chance to watch the Captain training one of the deckhands on how to run the boat. The deckhand has a 100 ton license herself and has hopes of becoming Mate on this vessel. A couple times I watched as the deckhand made some rather obvious errors that the Captain had to point out and correct. I felt a lot of sympathy for the deckhand as things are always harder with an audience.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #64
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. One mistake I learned from with my last boat, was letting too many people know what I do for a living. That got everyone's hopes up, and made sure I ALWAYS had an audience for docking maneuvers... No pressure, right? Lol. I think this time I'll tell people I'm the ship's cook.
No matter what you say you do on the ship, the other boaters will expect a lot from you. That's just how people are. They respect you more. They will seek you out for advice. Be happy they think so highly of you. You could tell them tell them, there is a big difference because on the ship, you do have a crew to back you up.

Do ships still have cabin boys? LOL
Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #65

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Just do it, you don't even need 50k. I did it with half of that (but have had to do a lot of boat work) and have zero regret. In fact if someone told me it would be this good before I did it I would not have believed them. I'm 32 and moved in 1.5 years ago BTW.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #66
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Do ships still have cabin boys? LOL
I wish! Alas I still have to make my own bed, and scrub my own toilet.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopistn View Post
Just do it, you don't even need 50k. I did it with half of that (but have had to do a lot of boat work) and have zero regret. In fact if someone told me it would be this good before I did it I would not have believed them. I'm 32 and moved in 1.5 years ago BTW.
I'm very happy to hear such a rave review, especially from someone close to my age. Thirty somethings seem to be few and far between in the liveaboard community, at least to someone on the outside. Have you met many?

Do you cruise much, or are you based at a home port? Would you mind sharing some parts that were better/worse than you expected? Anything that you didn't expect?

I definitely could do it sooner, but like you said, I'd end up doing a lot more boat work. I'm happy to do routine maintenance and repair on something that was reasonably well maintained by a previous owner, but I don't think I've got a major refit in me. I'm not that handy, and I'm not that motivated... lol. I love watching people do it on youtube, but spending a year replacing windows and seacocks and fiberglassing and sanding and painting, before I can even start using the boat, sounds just awful, lol. I'm hoping for something a little closer to 'turn key.'

I am hoping to get to the magic number ahead of schedule, though!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #68

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
I wish! Alas I still have to make my own bed, and scrub my own toilet.
So YOU are the cabin boy?!? Lololololololololol
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
So YOU are the cabin boy?!? Lololololololololol

What!? Psh.... no... Iím not the... the cabin boy. YOUíRE A CABINBOY!

... sigh... Iím totally the cabin boy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	79744
Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #70

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Quote:
I'm very happy to hear such a rave review, especially from someone close to my age. Thirty somethings seem to be few and far between in the liveaboard community, at least to someone on the outside. Have you met many?

Do you cruise much, or are you based at a home port? Would you mind sharing some parts that were better/worse than you expected? Anything that you didn't expect?

I definitely could do it sooner, but like you said, I'd end up doing a lot more boat work. I'm happy to do routine maintenance and repair on something that was reasonably well maintained by a previous owner, but I don't think I've got a major refit in me. I'm not that handy, and I'm not that motivated... lol. I love watching people do it on youtube, but spending a year replacing windows and seacocks and fiberglassing and sanding and painting, before I can even start using the boat, sounds just awful, lol. I'm hoping for something a little closer to 'turn key.'

I am hoping to get to the magic number ahead of schedule, though!
I'm based at a home port and the longest trip I've done in this boat is 5 hours, which would have been 45mins by car. I'm too inpatient to travel at this speed right now. Mainly I do short day trips and restuarant/bar hopping in the evening/nights. Ibwas fortunate that most of my issues were minor electrical that I figured out myself. The worst issue left to deal with is the fuel tanks, one of them has a rust hole in the top. Knowing this I just drain the racors frequently and don't top it off and it seems to be ok.
Before the boat I had an apartment on the water and I can say the boat is infinitely more fun... I was hoping it would be cheaper but honestly if you factor in the garage/shop/hangar I'm paying for and all of my upgrades/maintenance/fuel/slip/ect. It's probably not cheaper. I use my boat hard and constantly improve it though. I lot of livaboards let their boat/running gear/bottom go to shit and save money but never take their boat out.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #71
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
If you buy right, you can sell right.

Have fun, good luck
Amen....And it's not just price....Brand, reputation, desirability etc weigh more than heavily into the equation..
Old 08-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Amen....And it's not just price....Brand, reputation, desirability etc weigh more than heavily into the equation..
Absolutely. Perception is reality, after all.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #73
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Dave: In my neck of the woods there's lots of liveaboards our age. But most of them have sailboats. Lol

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote