Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #21

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Wonderful photo, what's the car sign in the top right of the photo supposed to mean?
"No Motor Vehicles"

greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Wonderful photo, what's the car sign in the top right of the photo supposed to mean?
Good question. Wish I knew. Seems incongruous as there is no road in sight. (The bird by the flowers is fake; the bird on the boat is real.)

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Since there's no bar through it I suspect it means cars are allowed down that street.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Since there's no bar through it I suspect it means cars are allowed down that street.
No - quite the opposite. It literally means No Motor Vehicles.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #25

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Same expeience Vicky and I had - absolutely fantatic... each bend in the canal brought another picture perfect view of canal life and the French countryside. The people (Fr and others) we met couldn't have been more friendly and accomodating. We've only had the Mainship since Sept and we'll be somewhat constrained to cruising in the US, but in a few years, we'd like to connect with someone who is living the dream and cruise with them as paying passengers for a month or so. I'm guessing that's about 3 years out, but it's a continual adventure thought...

Earl
Earl34Mainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
No - quite the opposite. It literally means No Motor Vehicles.
The signs I've seen in the UK and the continent have a diagonal bar through the circle to indicate no motor vehicles. I've seen the sign in the photo before and in the cases I recall it indicated something like a parking area or a road that could be used.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #27

Have a look here - scroll down 'till you see the signs.

Road Signs Europe Roadsigns Europe Road Signs and Signals Driving in Europe

A good comparioson site is,

Comparison of European road signs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and you'll find the No Motor Vehicles half way down the page.

The bottom line is that French signs make you scratch your head in wonderment.

Piers
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
It is more likely that the photo was not taken in France.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
IIRC the red circle around the car means NO, and it refers to parking. If allowed, there would be a green circle.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

I believe Mark took it in Amsterdam although I assume the same road sign convention would apply.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
It is more likely that the photo was not taken in France.
Taken in Holland (Netherlands), in a small town outside of Amsterdam.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Taken in Holland (Netherlands), in a small town outside of Amsterdam.
Which is why the French road signage conventions don't apply ... and because the thread is about FRENCH canals most readers reasonably thought the sign was in France.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
Master and Commander

Canals facilitate international travel as evidenced by this map of canals, so one isn't limited to only one country.

http://www.inlandnavigation.org/uplo...ays_europe.jpg

At RichB's request , here is a photo taken in a canal in Brugge, Belgium.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Which is why the French road signage conventions don't apply ... and because the thread is about FRENCH canals most readers reasonably thought the sign was in France.
Hi RickB,

Correct! Given the thread was about France, I assumed the pic was French, hence my reply.

Out of interest, the signs in France are based on the following criteria,
  • Triangular signs with red edges announce an upcoming danger
  • Round signs with a red thick edge and white background regulate what you cannot do
  • Round signs with a white edge and a blue background regulate what you must to do.
They don't seem to follow the design of the rest of Europe, but hey ho, let's have another glass of wine....
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

So I looked it up, always a dangerous and last-ditch thing to do, and Piers is pretty much correct. In the Netherlands a round white sign with a red border and a car silhouette in the middle means "No access to vehicles with more than two wheels."

In the UK, the country I drive in the most, any sign with a red border is prohibitive. However where I was led astray is that the red border with the red diagonal bar across it is still widely seen in the UK and still on occasion in France. So I put the "no" meaning on the diagonal bar, not the red border.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

Well, you know the old saying, "when in Rome" ...

I spend a lot of time in France and always drive. A signage guide is always close to hand as is remembering which country I am in and acting accordingly.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #37

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Skookum
Vessel Model: Altena 12.5
Hi Dave
Buy your buy your boat in Holland - it is 20% cheaper than France - try EYN and call Arthur Groen -he speaks English and is pretty honest. We bought our Dutch steel cruiser through him. Another tip - do the work on your boat in Holland - we joke that the French have a great leisure ethic but the Dutch have a better work ethic. Thanks for reading our blog - if you need any more info email golder@me.com. We are back on the boat in April,
Barbara
Skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #38

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Skookum
Vessel Model: Altena 12.5
buying a boat in Europe

Yarwoods River class Boats for sale France, Yarwoods Used boat sales, Yarwoods Barges For Sale Leeds & Liverpool Barge for sale - Apollo Duck

I know this boat in Saverne. Email them tell them Skookum sent you.
Is it big enough? The Irish owners are selling as they have bought a dutch steel cruiser like ours but a bit bigger. They are very motivated to sell as they have already bought.

Read buying a boat in Europe on our blog.

Buying a boat online « European Sojourn
Skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #39

City: Heemstede
Living the French canals

As a experienced boater i can say that the french canals are the way to spend a few months a year. We as a family own a 15 meter cruiser which has ten fixed berths. We spend every summer in the French waterways and love it. It is very relaxed and even cheap. You pay one fee for a couple of months or even a year and if you do it right and stay out of the paying harbours (even they are cheap) than the only thing you have to pay is your food and diesel. Leaving your boat in France is no problem. There are good places in the south and the best may be in St. Jean de Losne. The owners of the H2O have three harbour in which you can leave your boat fot around 165 euro a month ot about 1600 euro a year. (see the site for cost per lenght) We have our boat close to our home in the Netherlands. Soit is easy for us to do he maintanance etc. befor we set of. Within 4 to five days we are in France. (we normaly leave the Netherlands afast as possible,to bussy withe boats) From Belgiun on it get more beautifuland more quiet every Km. We normaly are with 4 grown-ups (my wife and I plus her parent) on board and my 11 year old son. He always has friends with him for weeks in a row. Because we have plenty of berths there is always room for people to stay and everybody loves the slow, easygoing thempo. We have seen almost every canal there is and have done a trip from The Netherland to the South of France spending the whole summer close to the Med for sun/sea and culture. We used toown a big seagoing catamaranand cruised to france on the west coast every summer. My parents in law had an idea of cruising the frenchcanals for a long time,but they could not do this fysically. So we went with their idea and sold the catamaran, bought a roomy steel cruiser, totaly rebuild it and set of for a sabatical in 2009/2010. I had never thought that I would like it so much. The tempo is between walking and cycling. You can moorn everywhere and every town of landscape gives a new perspetive. We even think of buying a bigger boat (sort of floating house) where my parent in law can live on in the south of France. So if any of you is interested in our boat, let us know. Any other info aboat boating in France we are willing to give.
Martin Esser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #40

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Thanks for the reply Martin... for the time being, i'll be cruising the ICW in my Mainship probably for the next 3 or 4 years, then I'll be ready to kick back as a passenger or deck hand on a canal boat. The experience we had in southern France a few years back is certainly something I want to do again - once someone else owns my Mainship.

Happy Canaling and I envy you experiencing your trips through the wine country of France....

Earl

Earl34Mainship is offline   Reply With Quote