Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pensacola
Living Aboard?

Anyone know what happened to "livingaboard.com"?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
As you know, Bob Bitchin (Latitudes and Attitudes) took over the Mag and the Forum last year. Among the regulars of the forum, no one seems to know if the forum is dead or not. Captain Rob, the forum monitor for years, is also left with the question. Sure hope it comes back, but if not, we'd need another like it. It's a good mix. I wouldn't know how to hank my spanker without the advice of those blow-boat guys. Healhustler (Tex)
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Guru

Thanks! I wasnt sure and had heard things. Hope it comes back soon.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
That was the only other boat site I was on. So now trawler forum has 100% of the time.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: New city
Living aboard

I heard that Bob B was locked out of his office and the magazine along with lat and attitude was closed. Bob is starting a new magazine along with some of the Living Aboard people. However it sounds like the magazine is finished!!
It will be missed!
Takeitesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Holy crap! I sure hope it wasn't a hostle takeover.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

I heard through other sources that it is done, finished......permanent.
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Guru

"Twould explain why I haven't been able to find L&A lately. My last issue though had Living Aboard absorbed into it, kinda a 2-for1. I really liked that!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Guru

City: Georgia
While looking here:
Waterway Cruising Guide | Cruising Guide News

I found this, which I believe is the same guy you're talking about?
---------------

Former Latitudes & Attitudes publisher launches new mag

Reported By: Mike Ahart, News Editor (WG Staff)

Bob Bitchin was the publisher of the recently defunct Latitudes & Attitudes, the popular magazine that celebrated the sailing lifestyle. He is launching a new publication, Cruising Outpost, and is raising support for the new venture.
In a recent email, Bitchin is offering his readers a seat in the "Founder's Circle" for $250, which includes, according to the email:
"First of all, our sincere thanks for believing in us. Second, five years of the quarterly print issue of Cruising Outpost. Third, membership to the "back room" in the digital members only area of the new website. This will get you discounts on Bob Bitchin's Advanced Cruising Seminars, Captain Woody Cruises, discounts from the Ship's Store and much more! Oh, yeah, and a very kewl Cruising Outpost hat that says "Founder" right on it."
See the Cruising Outpost website for more information
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Guru

yep but that ain't Bob on the cover! Hmm looks like the new mag is only quarterly.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: Georgia
Maybe once they get circulation up they can take make it more frequent?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I was Bob's partner in the Latitudes & Attitudes TV show since 2004. I was Director of Marketing for the magazine for the last few years, and when the new owners took over in January they "hired" me to continue. I resigned 3 weeks before they locked the doors and took all the computers and hard drives with them (yes, I saw it coming, but more importantly my wife and I started our own business). No one knows where the new owners are, as they owe a LOT of people money. Turns out they have a history of similar business dealings. All I can say is people are swindled every day, and the people that do the swindling are VERY good at what they do.

Bob was devastated that 16 years of his life went down the tubes in less than 6 months. But as others have stated, he has started a new publication - Cruising Outpost. Yes, it will start out as a quarterly print magazine, but it will be a monthly digital magazine. At this point (we just had Bob and Jody on the phone this afternoon) the print mag looks to be around 180 pages an issue, maybe more. The support Bob has received from both the industry and readers has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's true that his style isn't for everyone, but the notion that boating and cruising is meant to be fun and thoroughly enjoyed is hard to argue...

But back to the OP's question: yes, the new owners took Living Aboard and decided to make it a quarterly insert in Lats & Atts. Since they still "legally" own Lats & Atts and Living Aboard, the fate of the latter is still up in the air. But suffice to say they don't give a damn. Those of us that did/do give a damn can only say we're sorry that it happened. Hopefully Living Aboard can at least make some sort of a come back in the future. I'll let everyone know when I have more information...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I miss Latts and Atts. That was a very cool pub, even for us non sailors. I have been following the forum threads on seafaring.com and Darren is correct, the support is amazing for Bob and Jodie.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Guru

Moonfish,
Thank You for the insight. Cleared up a lot.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Guru

MF Is Bob going to finish the Bitch-n sailboat? Who gets to keep his old boat that they just bought back? He reads like he's a reg. guy, I'd like to chat him up in person one day, I got hooked into L&A when I was working down in the USVI and thought here is a mag for "the rest of us"! Passagemaker had begun to move into wishbook territory and most other boating mags were dedicated to a style of boating that I got out of yrs before. I truly wish him success for my own selfish reasons! I want a rag that I can connect with! Since you are still in contact, tell him to put an option on the new web page to purchase a burgee without the $250 Founder fee.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I used to watch Latts and Atts on tv.I enjoyed the show and quite miss it at times.I'm not really a sailor but I'd like to learn.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
No one knows where the new owners are, as they owe a LOT of people money. Turns out they have a history of similar business dealings. All I can say is people are swindled every day, and the people that do the swindling are VERY good at what they do.
DUDE this is soooo weird. One of my friends was involved with the buy out and she approached me about investing.

I just found the email from her, that she sent me about a year ago:

I don’t know if you know by now, but we (me and 4 partners) are in the process of acquiring Latitudes and Attitudes (http://www.seafaring.com) – the magazine, TV, radio, and all other property that goes with it. I know, I know how things change huh? Anyway, to get to the point…

We are sniffing around for people that might be interested in investing, and I was wondering if you knew anyone that might be interested. At this point, it’s no commitment – we are finalizing the prospectus and the revenue model this week. Finally, not that you would need it, but there is a finder’s fee for anybody you would send our way that ends up investing. Also it’s worth mentioning that we’re guaranteeing 10% return to preferred investors for the first 2 years of the commitment, which puts the “risk” (which in this case isn’t much of a risk) starting at the 3rd year.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide. If you have any questions… you know where to find me!

She is working with Bob on the new mag so not sure how she and her four partners relate to the swindlers. Maybe she was one of the ones who was swindled? It sounds like a crazy, complicated story.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Ah, from what I am reading on facebook, I think she was among those taken. here is her post about the new magazine launching:

(my friend) The newest sailing rag "Cruising Outpost" - Bob's latest creation. I'm thrilled to be part of this, to be building the digital presence of this magazine. To be working (finally) alongside Bob, Jody, Woody, Janeen, Heidi, Sue, Jim - all the wonderful Lats & Atts people... let's just say it's been a long time coming for me as well as for all of them. I can't stress this enough... karma is a real bitch, ain't it?:

responses:
name delted: Karma is a WONDERFUL thing ... for all of us who did the right thing, believed in the best and were taken for a ride. WE will not only survive, but thrive! Go Team!
name delted: Oh baby!!! How you all deserve this after all that you guys went through. I am thrilled for you all!!!! And yes, Karma can be a blessing to those who deserve it. Or a bitch to those who use, abuse , hurt others with vicious gossip, backstabbing and theft.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Guru

Yes Pineapple Girl, I agree Karma is a huge Bitch! Comes around in triplicate.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
This week end at Everett WA, 150+ boats, mostly sail boats of Latitude & Longitude, Live Aboard and the Seafare Pirates, know for their parties, had a get to gather/party. The scuttlebutt is the two magazines are dead, but a new cruising/boating magazine is coming out to replace the two magazines, that might have a site.

I dingy by because of the loud canon’s booms, the pirate flags. Many of the boater/pirates I knew and even more knew me. They had a party barge with music/bar, and a dance Saturday evening. The get to gather was hosted by a live a board sail boater that had moored on our dock.

If I hear new scuttlebutt I will let you know.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote