Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #21

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Friendship
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
RE: liveaboard new to this forum

Jakob, I'll try to answer some of your questions quickly, but you can email me privately any time you need help or advice with the boat. I've been through this boat from one end to the other!

My decks look good, but have had 3 leaks that I know of since I've had the boat. Removing them is on my short list. Sure dread it!

Fuel tanks look good, but I've known several Albin 43's that had to be replaced. Got my fingers crossed. Removing the teak decks will go a long way toward protecting the tanks.

Windows are pretty good. Have had to clean tracks on movable ones, and reseal the front fixed ones, and all port holes need new gaskets. On my list.

Most of the panneling is good, except below leaking port holes. Some damage there, but mostly cosmetic, nothing very bad.

I installed a new 50 gallon waste holding tank a couple of years ago. It's under my galley floor/ forward part of engine room below my genset. I also replaced ALL sewage lines, macerator pump, and both toilets. I put VacuFlush in mine and love them.* Ronco is the place to get the tank. They are "semi-custom" and will put inlets / outlets anywhere you want them.

Other projects I've done: Large house battery bank (8 golf cart batteries). 2500 watt inverter / charger. 3 Reverse cycle air conditioners, 2 16's and a 12. Oil changer system that drains both engines, transmissions, and genset. Washer/dryer. Wetbar on sundeck with icemaker. All new electronics, (radar, chartplotter, 3 vhf's, 3 gps's, 3 depthsounders, stereo system, Surrond sound in salon, built in computer with monitors in salon and flybridge, etc). New custom salon furniture. (including a pic of computer desk in salon) 120 amp alternator with smart regulator on one engine, and in process of adding a second on other engine.

There are other countless projects I can tell about, but this should give you plenty to think about!

Keep us posted on your progress. I'd really like to hear about the teak deck project as it progresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0477.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1690  

Brent Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #22

Here's another pic of the desk /* entertainment center. The 26" tv is also a monitor, and the burgandy chair is a recliner that was modified to be tall enough to work as a desk chair. I work out of my boat, so this is my office.

By the way, I'm a marine tech, working mostly on yacht electrical systems. I have 3 ABYC certifications, Electrical, Marine Systems, and Marine Corrosion, as well as a Master Marine Tech cert.

Eat, sleep, live, breathe, boats!

Here a few words from The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame, 1908

"Believe me, my young friends" said the Water Rat solemnly,* "There is
nothing . . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply
messing around in boats, . . .** Simply messing, . . .** Nothing really
seems to matter,** That's the charm of it . . .** whether you get away, or
whether you don't, whether you arrive at your destination or whether you
reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're
always busy, and you never do anything in particular". . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0476.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1695  

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #23

Thanks Steve!
In the winter time, I love the enclosure. It's good in warm weather when it rains. It's hot in the southern summers! I've taken it down a couple of times, but that's a huge pain, and it's hard to find a place to store it without damage.

I love the Present's also. Had a friend years ago with one like yours. Where are you located?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Brent
We are currently in Bay St. Louis Mississippi - but are planning to move her back to Kemah in a few months. I enjoy the open flybridge during the summer but am leaning towards taking everything in as you have done. First mate has wanted that all along. In Kemah there will be a lot of places to get it done. I gotta sY that I have not seen anywhere with the boating resources you guys have!
I agree with you also that messing around on a boat is as good as it gets!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #25

Kool. Let me know when you get back down this way!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #26

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

brent, thanks alot for the reply. the pictures look great i absoutly love these boats. if you go on my blog theres some photos of the deck removal. ill keep you updated and im gonna send you an email soon.
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #27

nice boat
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #28

Thanks for the compliments on the boat guys. I really love it too.

Jakob, I looked on Google maps to find where you are located, and damn, you're way up north! Should be an interesting winter for you! Are you having to use bubblers or something to keep the ice off the hull?

By the way, Friendship spent her first 13 years in New York, with the original owner living aboard (I suppose just during the warm months) somewhere up the Hudson River for about 5 years, and the second owner keeping her in Great Kills Harbour in Staten Island. They each owned for 5 or 6 years each, and I was told that both shrink wrapped each winter. I bought her in Staten Island and brought her down to Texas by water. My avatar pic was taken at the Great Kills Yacht Club dock in Staten Island.

I've cruise her somewhere around 18,000 miles since, with over 2000 engine hours.

By the way, we're having a big weather event here for the next few days. It's supposed to get below freezing for 3 nights in a row the later part of the week! That's a big deal for us! I'm not far enough south yet! )
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #29

brent, ive got 3 bubblers running full time around my boat, the river is froze over solid
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi Jacob Very good to see you living your dream. I live in Cranston RI. on a 43 ft gulf star so i feel your pain of just getting aboard and learning how to live aboard.I bought the boat in november and sailed it down from*Maine. The next week i went back to sea for three weeks . When i returned to the boat it was like a ghost town i was all alone. No water and no boats around just alot of ice. So i turned up the electric heat and went to the bar. The next morning i*woke up to 2 ft of snow i openend the door and all the snow rolled in to the salon. I said to myself i think i made a big mistake. But i just*grabbed a frying pan out of the galley and started shoveling and its been a great ride since.You will*learn very fast how**everything works*.Just dont let any women get you off that boat. I have had lots of girls love the boat but have them come down when its 10 degrees and you will see*what you really have . If she is*true Gal for you she will be down to help you wheather out a storm.*I hold a 1600ton Master of towing oceans ticket . So keep sailing and keep studying and get all the sea time you can. Remember you will never be out of a job if you keep going.
Have your parents called you crazy yet?

Tugtrash@msn.com
Jeremy
salty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #31

Jeremy, glad to hear someone else doing the same as me up north here. Did you go to school to obtain the 1600 ton license? How did you go about getting the master of tow. I'd move my boat and be your neighbor to have a job onboard a tug. We have a family owned tool and die shop here. My father actually lives aboard a 46 Ft ferry conversion just alittle bit upriver then me. Post photos of your boat. What are you gonna do for heat keep running electric? Any ice??
Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Hello Dave K sea has been on the slide for along time . They got to big to fast All my friends saw the writing on the wall and bailed.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Hey Jacob Yes i went to school at Mass Maritime but i put alot of sea time into my 1600ton and master of towing . We use propane and yes we have alot of ice so thick we walk across to town.*
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #34

Salty76 do you bubble in the winter or let your boat freeze in?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

We have three ice eaters around the boat . I would not like any ice*around my hull.
Did you get your heater put in ?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #36

Yea I did, best move I've made. Nice and warm. I run three bubblers aswell. Post photos of ur boat during the winter I'd love to see!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #37

Man, you picked a heck of a year to start living aboard I guess! It's been a record winter down here, so I'm sure it's been tough up there. Are you still peeling your decks up?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #38

yes, well the wood is all up.. i havnt been working on it much in the last few weeks its been really cold. now i need to pull up the adheasive and drill out all the screw holes and inject them with west system. sand and call it a day.. atleas the boats warm now!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Well all i have is summer pictures in the computer. I went to Florida two weeks ago and they robbed us. Camera and Tv's and some other stuff stolen . They hit every boat with shrink wrap on . Just put in a great alarm system just a little to late .
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #40

Damn... Sorry to hear man. Fin scumbags