Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
Add the Carver 440 t the list. Full size queen bed aft large salon. Great handelng boat and good underway. Cruised ours for 15 years without complaint.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
All:

I don't think that there is any point considering a boat listed for more than $110,000. At that listing price, it could probably be bought for $95,000 and if in good condition, made ready for another $5,000.

Some, like the Albin 40 listed at $69,000 in Mystic, I would probably have to put $10-20,000 in it to make it ready for full time cruising: teak refinishing to make it acceptable to Mama and new electronics for me. Even more if the genset is junk or ????

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dj. Gotcha.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
All:

I don't think that there is any point considering a boat listed for more than $110,000. At that listing price, it could probably be bought for $95,000 and if in good condition, made ready for another $5,000.

Some, like the Albin 40 listed at $69,000 in Mystic, I would probably have to put $10-20,000 in it to make it ready for full time cruising: teak refinishing to make it acceptable to Mama and new electronics for me. Even more if the genset is junk or ????

David

Oh yeah-- I forget that most newly purchased boats will need an initial "refit" to get to the new owner's standard. Maybe 20% a good rule of thumb?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
The Albin 40 in Mystic looks real nice and roomy. Don't think I would believe the 2.5ft draft. 3.5-4ft is more likely.

Has one or more of the fuel tanks been removed? Typically, a TT of that size would have almost 400 gals of black iron fuel tanks.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
All:

David
This may not be the same one, but there was one in Mystic on which a friend made an offer the owner agreed to and was going to fly up to see it and schedule the survey and the owner changed his mind and decided he was selling it too cheap.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I call the 40 Albin a small 39. They only have a 34 foot waterline I am guestimating with measuring the best I could when estimating glass cloth to redo the bottom. The USCG says 39.4...with bowsprit and swim platform/dingy...she's over 45.

Yes they do draw more...my draft is a tad over 4 feet...maybe 4.1-4.2

Not a lot of easy storage...but adequate for non-liveaboard in my opinion. I would have gone with a 43 had I found one in my price range. Back then I really wanted a single so the 40's all stuck out budget and single wise...but now after 4 round trips to FL and back on somewhat of a schedule...wish I had twins so I could work on one if needed.... but still be underway or make a better port for support. But fortunately old reliable Lehman hasn't let me down.

For a non-liveaboard...it is fine. The one thing I did want to add was a washer/dryer....just doesn't fit anywhere that I would sacrifice...including not enough height in the engine room even after removing 300 gallons of fuel tankage.

But all aside...I went with the Albin 40 as it was one of the few layouts I could live with in my budget/size range and the last 4 years living aboard and 10,000 miles have proven my choice (not everyone's choice...but mine)
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:

RTF:

I don't plan to stay at any marinas. Only moorings like Boot Key Harbor, Dinner Key and Vero Beach. Otherwise, on the hook.

David
Have you looked at the 44 aft cabin Vikings. There's a fresh water version on Lake Erie for about 80K
Great layout.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"I am not sure I want a couple of old DD 4-53s though. But I am only going to put 150 hours a year on them, so maybe."

Older 2 stroke DD are a delight for intermittant service as they are fairly easy to put to bed.

The only hassle is feeding preserving oil to the injectors as a final step before cut off.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Damn, FF, as a Yachtwright, boatsmith you never miss a lick.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
Guru

Liveaboard in Florida, 3-4 mo in winter

How about this one? Seems set up well. Nice cockpit area and sun deck. Low draft. Comes with a jet ski! 😄

Price is right.

You and FF could race!

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/5323306116.html
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #32
Guru

Thanks for the input guys, particularly psneeld's comments about his Albin 40. I guessed that it was a smallish 40, but appreciate the confirmation. For two of us living aboard for 3-4 months that boat should work. Would like a washer/dryer though.

In addition to that boat, I am considering Europa versions of Ocean Alexander, Marine Trader, etc as they meet my layout criteria. Surprised that the OA fits my budget, but those from the early 80s do.

The Navy conversion is interesting. Wish I could figure out the layout from the pics.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the window leaks and crappy glass covered plywood of the Marine Traders, CHB, etc. I know that MTs from the 70s were absolute crap, but Jack Horner (Annapolis based marine surveyor who publishes reviews of classic boats on boatus) says that by the mid 80s that was mostly corrected and superstructure became conventionally layed up cored (ply) fiberglass.

David
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
How about this one? Seems set up well. Nice cockpit area and sun deck. Low draft. Comes with a jet ski! 😄

Price is right.

You and FF could race!

50 ft. Trawler Navy Conversion, Fiberglass
This one is no good. It has a bad name. I must have given him a bad pass.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #34
Guru

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I didn't notice that.

Don you need to slow down for us!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, particularly psneeld's comments about his Albin 40. I guessed that it was a smallish 40, but appreciate the confirmation. For two of us living aboard for 3-4 months that boat should work. Would like a washer/dryer though.

In addition to that boat, I am considering Europa versions of Ocean Alexander, Marine Trader, etc as they meet my layout criteria. Surprised that the OA fits my budget, but those from the early 80s do.

The Navy conversion is interesting. Wish I could figure out the layout from the pics.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the window leaks and crappy glass covered plywood of the Marine Traders, CHB, etc. I know that MTs from the 70s were absolute crap, but Jack Horner (Annapolis based marine surveyor who publishes reviews of classic boats on boatus) says that by the mid 80s that was mostly corrected and superstructure became conventionally layed up cored (ply) fiberglass.

David
There are places for a washer/dryer if willing to give up something and modify some cabinetry.

I wasn't even gonna fool with the windows. Ordered all new RV aluminum frame, clamp type...less than 4 grand with shipping.

My '88 Albin has a couple layers of glass on the outside, about 3/8s plywood (good rot resistant teak I am guessing) and a 4 layer teak veneer on the inside.

My boat the teak veneer must have been so saturated with Florida humidity, that the first winter in Jersey the veneer started bubbling, cracking and peeling ALL over the boat. I have ripped most of it out and have been recovering with beadboard planks. Looks OK and in areas requiring some strength I used real solid wood planks glued on.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #36
omc

City: Antibes
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Beautiful !

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Free advice: Take some of that cash on hand and extend the hard-top of your Mainship, enclosing the "deck house" and go with the boat you own. She's tidy, inexpensive to operate, you know her flaws and she's already yours.

I'd make the doors at the back of the salon all open (piano hinges) so you can enjoy the outside from inside, something like this:

(this is our 40'er)

The doors (there were four) closed. The center two were plexiglass so that even closed we could see out even while sitting.

Just an idea mind you...
Stunning and beautiful. I love it. Thank you Janice, good advice from you, one more time !
Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #37

City: Great Lakes - Florida
Vessel Name: SUMMER PLACE
Vessel Model: ALBIN 50
QUOTE:So, like Grand Banks, I am hoping that Albin had some quality control by western management so this was avoided. True???

This is true, but I can say from first hand experience they must have been asleep half the time.

David, it matters little if it's an Albin or Grand Banks or whatever, while Albin and Grand Banks have the reputations which helps hold up their resale values, they have the "very same" problems as all the rest. It's all about how well any given boat was maintained. You need only spend a few hours on the Albin & GB sites to see this is true.

If the Albin 40 meets the most items on your wish list, you've already solved the biggest problem. I would find the best maintained one out there within my budget. Assume it will have the usual issues to some degree but at least you will have the boat that suits your plans and use.

Just my two cents worth.

PS: We love our Albin warts and all.
Capt Kangeroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Have you considered our sister ship?

1981 Prairie 36 Trawler Jack Hargrave Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

When we were searching for ours I really wanted twins, galley down and the forward bunks. This was one of the few layouts that checked all the boxes, and no teak decks and 2 heads is a huge plus. I honestly think i have more room than other comparable 40 footers.
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #39
Guru

I think that there is a fundamental difference in build technique among TTs.

The 70s era MTs and equivalent had a plywood (with junk for inner layers) framed superstructure that was then finished with a layer of glass on the outside. When (not if) the windows leaked, the junky plywood got wet and it rotted to pieces. That was the case of a MT I was involved with made in the 70s. Took a chain saw to the superstructure and rebuilt it.

The better way is to mold the superstructure starting with gel coat, then layers of glass, then plywood coring, then more glass, just like the deck. Some used the same junk plywood and if the window edges weren't sealed right, the plywood would get wet and because the inner layers were saw dust, it would also rot.

The best way is to use marine plywood, where all layers are veneers of fir or similar so that rot doesn't propagate as fast. That and attention to window detail is what sets Grand Banks apart from the rest of the boats from that era.

The final solution is to use aluminum or SS window frames set in fiberglass finished openings and caulked so water can't possibly get inside. Almost all Asian built boats are done that way now.

David
Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #40
FF
Guru

"Mechanically, there is an air cooled DC generator shown in the 5th pic. Anyone who installs an air cooled generator doesn't know what he is doing."

A properly installed air cooled noisemaker will make no more noise than a wet unit.

And a muffled dry stack will not fill the boat with stench with a following breeze.

Like almost every boat accessory , the installation efforts will be the key.

Imagine, no pulling jellies out of the cooling system at O'dark 30.night after night.

Imagine no thru hull, no seacock, no sea water pump, no heat exchanger , and soft engine mounts

FF is online now   Reply With Quote