Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #81
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoman View Post
Greetings everyone! I lived aboard for 5 yrs then had an emergency health issue. Now 2 yrs later I'm going back! I've never missed anything more in my life than not waking up on the water! I lost everything and am starting over but it's all good!! Great site here! Mike
Congratulations Mike, I just went through a similar thing and had to get off the water for a year after 19yrs. What a relif to get my feet wet again. The normal folks just don't understand.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #82
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoman View Post
Greetings everyone! I lived aboard for 5 yrs then had an emergency health issue. Now 2 yrs later I'm going back! I've never missed anything more in my life than not waking up on the water! I lost everything and am starting over but it's all good!! Great site here! Mike
Welcome aboard UFO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Congratulations Mike, I just went through a similar thing and had to get off the water for a year after 19yrs. What a relif to get my feet wet again. The normal folks just don't understand.
Glad you guys are feeling better, and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #83

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrat View Post
My first post! Woo. I'm one of the countless lurking wannabes - just researching, learning and planning. This is a great thread, so I had to register and post my thanks to everyone. Long live this thread.
Wow.... A lot of this going around. I too have been planning my escape by sea for a year now. Will be looking to make it in the next 2-3 years. My situation is very similar to the OP's so I'm following this one closely as well. I live in Florida and love the weather and lifestyle. Getting close to retirement and won't have a lot to spend, but will go as high as $200k for the right boat.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed their knowledge and experience to us newbies. It is greatly appreciated by us.

JP
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #84
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach
Vessel Name: Cool Beans
Vessel Model: 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
JP, welcome to the trawler forum. We are recently retired and have been cruising part time for almost a year now. We love the lifestyle.
I would like to suggest attending some if the seminars at Trawlerfest. Also consider joining MTOA. Marine Trawler Owners association is holding their Southern Rendevouz in Daytona in April. Wanabees are encouraged to join.
Dotty aboard Cool Beans
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #86

City: Portland
When I started after the ex took it all I started with a $3 k Woodie then on to a 30/702 reinell believe it or not that ole 76 hippy boat was built like a tank and I truly loved it! Matter of fact I'm thinking of getting another one just like it.Its a poor mans trawler.If I had 200 k to spend on a boat I'd loose sleep dreaming of all the killer yachts I could buy with that kind of money! My advice to newbies is very simple, rent and go out weekends or longer,or lease,keep your house and then decide that your life will be closer to heaven on earth than you could have ever imagined! ;-)

ufoman is offline   Reply With Quote