Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #61

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Demani
Vessel Model: Columbia C-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjohn View Post
I would like to share an interactive excel spreadsheet that I have developed that can help predict the annual/monthly cost of living aboard. It has a number of costs that are for both land and sea but I believe that with very little time you can get some good numbers in front of you.

please e mail me at jkenny@canalside.net to get a copy as I am not able to attach an excel file to this submission.

Anyone else think this may be a scam to get our email addresses? Why not post a link, besides I know Excel and while it can do a lot you can not program it to be analytical. You can do very good spreadsheets using formulas and a lot of other functions but you can not program it to analyze.

boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #62

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 1966, 47 ft, Chris Craft Commander
Yes you can. My MBA professors taught us how to make great predictive and forecasting spreadsheets. There are excel add ins available that perform quite well.

FLSunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #63
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSunfish View Post
Yes you can. My MBA professors taught us how to make great predictive and forecasting spreadsheets. There are excel add ins available that perform quite well.

You are absolutely correct. Also, I don't think Xl can be uploaded here, not that I've tried but someone else mentioned
Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #64
Guru

City: gulf coast
Silt is a problem for water makers. If you will be off shore , in Bahamas or San Juans with clear water your filters won't clog as often as in most rivers and parts of the icw.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:11 AM   #65
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
The Mentioned Excel SS

lets see if this works

well that didn't work I think originally I found it on google docs

I have a spread sheet not sure if it the one mentioned but guess I can only email it
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #66
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
You can save a spreadsheet to Google Docs or Drive, then create a Share link so others can view it, edit it whatever.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #67

City: Norfolk
Vessel Name: CATALINA
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Freelancer,
It sounds like you have a realistic plan and the motivation to do it. I like the Monk 36 myself. Very miserly on fuel, about 25. gph at 7.5 knots. The space for living onboard is gracious for a 36 trawler. I looked at the GB 36, but the bow flare on the Monk both looked better and keeps the spray down better. Access to the engine and generator is very good. Easy to change oil and impeller.

Scott
Monk 36
Norfolk, VA
Scott78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #68

City: Bahamas (for now)
Vessel Name: Reef Romper
Vessel Model: 1986 Mako 21b
This is a great thread I learened a lot. I also plan to try the live aboard life style. I will fully retire this January as I am turning 65. I have a house in south florida that needs some fixing up. I have living in the Bahamas fo the past 10 years. My dream boat is the Krogen Manatee although I'll take somthing simular since my search is just starting.
grwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #69

City: Bahamas (for now)
Vessel Name: Reef Romper
Vessel Model: 1986 Mako 21b
Starting to sceach

I am as well looking to transform my land life to a live aboard. I will retire this January after living and Working in the Bahamas for he past ten+ years, just can't see myself be too much away from the ocean. My dream boat, like pretty much everyones, is the krogen manatee. Being a single guy that seem perfect but finding own seem pretty tough. So I am just starting my serach. So I will be looking at this fourm alot for advice./
grwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #70

City: grand rapids
Good deal, that is an interesting looking boat! They do seem rare. Sometimes people put up videos on youtube selling boats - don't forget to check there when you start looking.

Like anything, I believe there are people out there that would sell if you asked - just have to find them... I've been thinking about selling my truck for 6 months - if someone asked, I'd jump on it. Even with all the tools on the internet available I still have not found the time. Maybe putting up wanted ad's at marina's would be a good way to get those unmotivated sellers to move.

There is an Albin36 near me that has spent its entire life here in the great-lakes - I plan on checking it out next year if it is still around to get an idea of layout and size. After that I plan on looking at some DeFever boats and possibly a Monk if I can find one.
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #71

Aww bummer its selling!! 1983 Albin 36 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #72
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
We made a cursory look at it about 18 months ago but I was really looking for a centerline queen bed and the pricing was then a little on the high side. Otherwise it looked very nice.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #73

Yes, it was much more expensive from what I remember... hmm, wasn't it almost 100k? I could be wrong.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #74
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Think it was $89K at the time.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #75

City: Clare
My wife. cappi and I are 75 and married 50 years; we just purchased a 38 Californian, SeaDeduction and will live on it during the winter, FL, we live in Michigan and lived in GRR for 20 years; the 38 has plenty of room; Note your purchase survey will recommend several items be sure you can work on them, we found our insurance, Formost, was not willing to let that happen so the cost of resolving survey issues is more than expected, we are very experienced trawler drivers. Be Well and be safe, also have fun because that is what it is about. wc
Seaduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #76
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I suppose you should know about these guyz here. I don't know what their original intention was, but they are on their 24th loop, doing basically as you have described. I think they must be a fascinating couple, and their boat selection was a Krogen Manatee 36, which is a very spacious and economical vessel built specifically for that kind of cruising. They purchased the boat new and I think they're on their 4th engine.
Hey! I passed these guys in the St Clair river a few months back.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #77

City: FL
My first post! Woo. I'm one of the countless lurking wannabes - just researching, learning and planning. This is a great thread, so I had to register and post my thanks to everyone. Long live this thread.
bullrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #78
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. Welcome aboard.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #79
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Any new developments freelancer?
Here's one that you may or may not have seen. I was planning to take a look at it in a few weeks.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 PM   #80

City: Portland
Greetings everyone! I lived aboard for 5 yrs then had an emergency health issue. Now 2 yrs later I'm going back! I've never missed anything more in my life than not waking up on the water! I lost everything and am starting over but it's all good!! Great site here! Mike

ufoman is offline   Reply With Quote