Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Watermaker, I have one and advocate anyone coming to the Caribbean on a regular basic to have one. If you are frequenting marinas in the United States and Canada at least once a week you don't need one. Assume even with a washing machine that 300 gallons of tankage will last a week.

I hadn't seen the mention of a washing machine. Creature comfort par excellence.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #42
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
x2 On the watermaker, one of the BEST things we added to the boat. On our summer trip we never had to worry about water, took real showers, washed clothes multiple times a day, wash the boat, wash the dinghy. Never had to worry.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #43

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I am just starting my boat ownership. She needs work, so we'll do some work. Take short trips down the Columbia & back. More work. I think the water maker, for what we want to do is in the middle of the long list. Good refrigerator, AC, HEATER!, is at the top of the list. I am very fortunate to have a wife who is a custom furniture maker. We are removing the leather couch & recliner so "we" can make a custom couch of which the back is slopped backwards at comfortable angle & will be a day bed. The best thing about this entire adventure is the learning. You can take this for a grain of salt if you want; for those of you who look at a boat, house or barn as something that should be left alone. You don't really own it until you dig in and make changes to suit you. When we bought the boat, I thought holly crap! How much material is between me and the water? What will happen if I move this to over here? My biggest concern was will the boat be out of balance?

We were going to sell the ranch, get the boat ready for a trip to Mexico. I was hurt bad; took the ranch off the market; still healing; hurricane hit the Baja. Everything in it's own time, I guess.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers
"What will happen if I move this to over here? My biggest concern was will the boat be out of balance?"

Smart to understand that, some people start ripping out and replacing like its a house, even seen some granite going in for counter tops, weight is a double edge sword on a boat.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #45

City: British Columbia
Vessel Name: Black Crow
Vessel Model: 1964 wooden Pearson
Freelancer, i too was told i was crazy to sell my nice house and buy an old wooden boat(which many told me i was actually insane) but i did,then I bought a small property"cheap" built a 600 sq ft mini house and now am restoring and up grading my 36 footer...through all the what ifs ..i ended on ..what if i don't! good luck we only live once ,Mike
55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #46

City: grand rapids
The watermaker seems like it has many uses, I think the biggest for me would be a washing machine.

55chev, I've found that I only need to tell certain people... no sense in telling the world now. My parents used to tell me when I was younger, "The more you talk about doing something, the less likely you are to do it". This has proven true in my world. Talking with all of you about it is different though.. at-least there is constructive feedback.

It's great to see that other people are doing the same thing, I wish you the best. BTW did you design the house yourself?

I'm considering renting my house instead of selling. I can get at-least $1200 a month, and it is freshly updated. Because of how little I owe on it, I could live off the extra every month. All of my income would be disposable after that (boat, insurance, diesel, whatever).

I realize that many of you have purchased your boats with cash, however I wanted to ask the question anyway. Have any of you purchased a boat with a loan? If so, would you have done it the cash route if you could go back?

Looking forward to more great reads on these forums. Thanks to all who have contributed!
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #47
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Can't give advice on the financial part, but once you get a watermaker you'll find out it will be alot more useful then just for the washer, for ex like washing the boat, filling up water jugs, washing the dink, and best of all real showers.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Watermaker. There is an often cited rule that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule. Without a watermaker you may have a schedule to get water before you run out. This may be at a time when you otherwise would not move. Usually not a big deal, but it is something to consider.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #49

City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1984 Krogen Manatee
Couldn't agree more with the watermaker comments. I just installed one this year and spent three weeks in the San Juans without touching a dock once. I was inspired to purchase one when I was in the islands a few years ago when they were having a drought. I was getting turned away at docks unless I purchased something. It became a real hassle.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #50
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Tontoross has it right ... the most important addition to the boat for your plans is some form of heat. We did our first trip south without it and spent some miserable nights in NY, NJ and anchored off Sarasota. My wife said she'd never do the trip again without heat.

You sound like a handy guy around houses and cars so you will learn about boats but there are differences. Marine Survey 101 and Boat Maintenance for non-Idiots may help smooth the learning curve.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #51
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
I'm considering renting my house instead of selling. I can get at-least $1200 a month, and it is freshly updated. Because of how little I owe on it, I could live off the extra every month. All of my income would be disposable after that (boat, insurance, diesel, whatever).
I did this and it was an unmitigated horror. Damage will occur, rent will be late, and every little thing that you'd naturally take care of because you own it, will be your problem. Your Expensive-to-fix problem. A tenant won't tighten the screws holding a hinge to a cabinet. Doors will be slammed open and the gizmos that should have prevented damage will have been broken/removed.

Need I remind you of fleas? Vermin?? Your contract calls for no pets? Ha! You're not there and besides they have a medical necessity for a critter.

Don't say it cannot happen to you and yours. It can, and might.

The city fined me for the trash left in front of the house when the tenant left. Finally. And it cost me a lawyer to pry her out. It took nearly a year to get rid of her and of course no income for that time -- just expenses.

Please be smarter than I was. Take the money and run. Or cruise.

[And it's possible my perceptions were colored by the fact that I was doing the whole chemo bit (and a couple of diets via physician removal of parts) so while sick I had to deal with the nonsense.]

But I'd never rent to a tenant. If they cannot afford a down-payment, tough.

In my opinion that is.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #52
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I did this and it was an unmitigated horror. Damage will occur, rent will be late, and every little thing that you'd naturally take care of because you own it, will be your problem. Your Expensive-to-fix problem. A tenant won't tighten the screws holding a hinge to a cabinet. Doors will be slammed open and the gizmos that should have prevented damage will have been broken/removed.

Need I remind you of fleas? Vermin?? Your contract calls for no pets? Ha! You're not there and besides they have a medical necessity for a critter.

The city fined me for the trash left in front of the house when the tenant left. Finally. And it cost me a lawyer to pry her out. It took nearly a year to get rid of her and of course no income for that time -- just expenses.

[And it's possible my perceptions were colored by the fact that I was doing the whole chemo bit (and a couple of diets via physician removal of parts) so while sick I had to deal with the nonsense.]

In my opinion that is.

Wisdom gained from experience. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, except in rental real estate. Was spoiled by good long term tenants then they moved out of both houses within 2 months of each other, then the wheels fell off that formula.

Sold both, paid the capital gains and bought some brain dead easy moderate risk mutual funds. Coulda bought high risk and the return would still be more consistent than the brave new breed of renters and attorneys nowadays.

Rentals are great if you don't mind working on them and they're across town IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #53
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:

In my opinion that is.
I have a couple of rentals. I dont need any more headaches- I have two boys already. I pay someone to manage them and the tenants. It runs about 10% or less of the annual rent to do it. Problem tenants are handled legally, swiftly and decisively.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #54

City: British Columbia
Vessel Name: Black Crow
Vessel Model: 1964 wooden Pearson
the house design was a combination of ones on the net and personal taste,check out "Wheel Haus"
i have rented my place before..NEVER AGAIN!!lol
55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Noeta
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Rentals are great except for the renters.
Arcticspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #56

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Ha, "Landlord Stories".....it could be a hit series on FOX NEWS! But back to living aboard, what has been said about keeping the homestead and renting it is true... a nightmare waiting to happen. Even if the renters pay on time and don't trash the house. Because you will carry the burden in your head with you aboard your dream cruise. At least for me one of the top pleasures of living/cruising aboard was that my universe was me, my boat and I. I did not have anything out of that small place pulling my mental energy away from the task at hand. Which was enjoying the heck out of every simple pleasure coming my way. I like the note that Col. Walter Kurtz penned to his wife...."Sell the house, sell the car, sell the kids........I'm not coming home!"
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #57
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Ben there, done that, never got a decent offer for the kids though!

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #58
FF
Guru

We are removing the leather couch & recliner so "we" can make a custom couch of which the back is slopped backwards at comfortable angle & will be a day bed.

Or just purchase one of a pair I have for sale for less than the cost of the springs , never mind the folding gear.

HEAT is the key to a good 12 month life afloat.

I suggest the Dickinson or similar , so no electric needs to be provided.

If they start to tax gravity , it might be different.

HEAT , any style , any brand is a complex installation to do it right.

Right is -20F , and warm & toasty aboard , more if AK is a destination.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #59
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:

In my opinion that is.

Good points Janice. I don't understand why more people don't realize that many problems (probably most) could be avoided by just addressing a small thing like a loose hinge screw before it strips and now you have a stripped hole (s) that even repaired will probably never be as strong as original.
Sorry for the thread drift😊.....
One of my pet peeves is how the door gets closed on my truck. I know- pretty small stuff. But by occasionally lubricating the hinges and striker, and using "reasonable" force to close the door, it will probably work well for several years. Mine is an '05 and still works great. "If you close it that hard now while new, then that's what it will take to even get it to latch in a few years" is something I have said many times. I know. Pretty pathetic- but it does matter😎.
Course I'm a cheap ass too. The edge of my drivers seat recently began to wear apart at the seam. I saw it coming...
And for the last year I would lift myself up and over this area as I stepped out of the truck. Luckily, for $40 a guy down the street did a nice job of sewing it up since it was caught early. Maybe with my "up and over" disembark approach I can get 10 more years out of the seat?? 😎🙏🙏

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #60

City: Finger Lakes New York
Vessel Name: Bright Horizon
Vessel Model: PT Trawler
Cost of Living aboard calculator

I would like to share an interactive excel spreadsheet that I have developed that can help predict the annual/monthly cost of living aboard. It has a number of costs that are for both land and sea but I believe that with very little time you can get some good numbers in front of you.

please e mail me at jkenny@canalside.net to get a copy as I am not able to attach an excel file to this submission.

Captainjohn is offline   Reply With Quote