Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Back in the 60s when I was selling wood to many boat builders they were building "juniper" strip planked boats. The wood I sold was actually cypress, but the locals called it juniper. The actual juniper tree is in the cypress family.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
if Ben's dream boat is actually constructed per the listing, the hull construction would be the least of my worries.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Ben, I just looked at the boat you mentioned on Yachtworld. I think with a decent survey I would not be afraid of it at all. My brother is building a 28' boat in the same manner right now. I think in some ways it is better than just FG if done properly.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
That's a good rule. We don't stay in a marina long enough to get involved in the politics of the dock or deeply into the livaboard community. That's not why we boat. Probably the best part of marina life on the ICW is talking with the in transit cruisers about their experiences along the way. If they have been someplace we are interested in I will buy the drinks or dinner if necessary to hear that.

That does not have to happen as we keep/stay to our selves, and we do not get involved in the dock marina business/politics. I make a point not to talk politics, religion and gossip, and my wife tends to keep to her self. Many people think my wife is a figment of my imagination. In the Everett marina the live a boards are spread out and we do not seek each other out. Nobody really knows us and we donít really know them.

I do try to go to marina meeting to be informed as what is happening and future plans, so we do not get surprises. The marina has some big plans and changes in the next 3 to 5 years, but we will be retiring next year so we will not be so tied/relying on the Everett Marina. However the Everett marine is presently live aboard friendly but that could change in the future.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

That does not have to happen as we keep/stay to our selves, and we do not get involved in the dock marina business/politics. I make a point not to talk politics, religion and gossip, and my wife tends to keep to her self. Many people think my wife is a figment of my imagination. In the Everett marina the live a boards are spread out and we do not seek each other out. Nobody really knows us and we don’t really know them.
We were like this with one marina and when we did talk to people, we felt they were a little aloof. Pretty much we were just starting out with our boat in a marina with empty nesters and we have kids and dogs and like to pull out and cruise - especially the first year of owning our boat. Now it is 4 years later and we are semi-nesters because we have one kid who is "getting her life together" at 19, working, schooling and living at home, and another I share with an ex. So we'd probably fit in our first marina much better now. We were the newbies amongst seasoned live-aboards or marina residents of 10 years, so it was a tough crowd for us.

We were probably too active if not chaotic for them. In subsequent marinas we had a much better social fit because of newer cohorts learning like us and friendlier live-aboards. Now I ask less dumb questions and can help neighbors with navigation and mechanical things better than before.

Not sure we could right away do the live aboard life as we both work full time and I am afraid of the regular use on my head, shower, AC, and electrical in a climate of 90% humidity and high temps. Almost afraid to use a boat full time since I've never done that level of use before. Plus, concerned some of the allure would fade with continuous living aboard. Almost want to keep boat time "special" versus "normal".

Does that sound stupid? Afraid to live the dream, because once living it, it ceases to be a dream, and thereby less attractive...?

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Plus, concerned some of the allure would fade with continuous living aboard. Almost want to keep boat time "special" versus "normal".

Does that sound stupid? Afraid to live the dream, because once living it, it ceases to be a dream, and thereby less attractive...?
Actually Ben, that makes perfect sense to me. We feel the same way and that is why we chose not to cross the 30' threshold. Removed our temptation to try.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #27

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Quote:
We were like this with one marina and when we did talk to people, we felt they were a little aloof. Pretty much we were just starting out with our boat in a marina with empty nesters and we have kids and dogs and like to pull out and cruise - especially the first year of owning our boat. Now it is 4 years later and we are semi-nesters because we have one kid who is "getting her life together" at 19, working, schooling and living at home, and another I share with an ex. So we'd probably fit in our first marina much better now. We were the newbies amongst seasoned live-aboards or marina residents of 10 years, so it was a tough crowd for us.

We were probably too active if not chaotic for them. In subsequent marinas we had a much better social fit because of newer cohorts learning like us and friendlier live-aboards. Now I ask less dumb questions and can help neighbors with navigation and mechanical things better than before.

Not sure we could right away do the live aboard life as we both work full time and I am afraid of the regular use on my head, shower, AC, and electrical in a climate of 90% humidity and high temps. Almost afraid to use a boat full time since I've never done that level of use before. Plus, concerned some of the allure would fade with continuous living aboard. Almost want to keep boat time "special" versus "normal".

Doesnt sound stupid at all mate, I made the mistake of turning a hobby into a business and took the pleasure out of it....

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Living aboard and cruising are two totally different animals.

If just living aboard would take all the fun out of it...you aren't getting enough cruising in.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Boats love to be used daily. It's the boats that sit around NOT being used that have more problems.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Plus, concerned some of the allure would fade with continuous living aboard. Almost want to keep boat time "special" versus "normal".

This also makes a lot of sense to me, unless we were doing it like Larry M and others that are actively cruising.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Almost want to keep boat time "special" versus "normal".

As a full time liveaboard, we feel we are living the dream- and it never gets old! Whether it be a day lounging in the sun, a stormy night with high winds, or a leisurely day cruise on the Sound- we find it a dream come true.

Step out and go for it!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I had a friend who has passed away that kept his boat in marinas for years. He was not a live aboard, but boating was a big part of his life. He would always keep his boat at least a 30 minutes drive from his home. He said that he just needed a little room to make it feel as he was getting away. He finally moved to a waterfront community and moved the boat to his owned slip within the community. He said that he really missed the marina and the activity around the dock.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I had a friend who has passed away that kept his boat in marinas for years. He was not a live aboard, but boating was a big part of his life. He would always keep his boat at least a 30 minutes drive from his home. He said that he just needed a little room to make it feel as he was getting away. He finally moved to a waterfront community and moved the boat to his owned slip within the community. He said that he really missed the marina and the activity around the dock.
I can relate to that well. We have the opportunity to purchase waterfront property with boat dock and feel it will somehow remove that "getting away from it all" feeling. The way it is now the one hour drive ads to the adventure if that makes sense.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
As a live a board I thinks itís a strange as dirt/land people think being a live aboard is strange. Hopefully by then you have other dreams! I have several other dreams, one I am sort of living, which is sort of relating to boat/live aboard, and the other will be when I retire.

Us older live aboard like our peace quiet and space. When we visit children/grandchildren in about 4 hours we are a nervous wreck and glad to be back to the peace, quiet and space of the boat. Lock the gate, close the doors, and pull the curtains. Darn, we for got to hide the vehicles!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #35
Ben
Guru

Ok, so I went and saw the actual boat. A little rough actually, and I could not get inside. Would I live aboard? Sure, why not. But that call is a little far off just yet, but maybe if we sell the house fast well have a plan...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-113649747.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	20645   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2282423991.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	20646   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441329983.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	20647   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4283232728.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	20648  

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
[QUOTE=Ben;164052]Ok, so I went and saw the actual boat. QUOTE]

Oh goodness Ben....Your Admiral would kill you!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #37

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Such a SHAME ! The original pics were beautiful...

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Such a SHAME ! The original pics were beautiful...
Still a beautiful boat. Just needs a lot of love. Sad when you think of the yacht world pics.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
Ben
Guru

More still.

Disclaimer - all of these are just musings, but...

1. Boat would be a good project.
2. Wish I could see a survey
3. Looks like the pilot house was under-constructed. Sub standard wood/protection
4. Haven't thought in terms of 56 feet before, just 35.
5. Fear is this boat will sit and decay.

Disclaimer again - I have no intentions toward this boat, except learning more. That said, it really gives something to think about. Living aboard, I mean.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #40
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
This is from the first page of the listing. "
Donít miss this opportunity to own a truly Amazing Vessel. Mystic started her life as a long range offshore fishing vessel. In 1999 she was completely refit and became a luxurious offshore vessel. Comfortable two stateroom, two head layout, spacious salon and galley, pilot house has a day bed and the helm is set up as the navigation station/office. Mystic can be used as a comfortable condo/live aboard or safe and stable bluewater cruiser. Powered by a single diesel with bow thruster, she burns about gallon per mile at 9-10kts. Her prop and running gear are protected by a steel shoe on her full keel. She is one of the best thought out and cleanest vessel in her class on the market.

Recent Survey gives her excellent marks! Market Value of 500k, Replacement 925k. "

This broker need to be debared, debrokered or what ever you call it. Mabe just taken out behind the woodshed for a quick lesson. How can anyone who looks at this vessel say "She is one of the best thought out and cleanest vessel in her class on the market."

One lesson learned. Always ask for date time stamped pics before flying out to look at a boat, because some brokers are outright liars.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote