Livaboard Longevity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Goat

My wife and I plan to retire and livaboard when we a 62.* Assuming we stay in good health and enjoy the livaboard life, about how many years could we anticipate being able to be livaboards?* How old do you see people doing this?

i di it untill i was 78,i am 81 now and could still to it,but the price of dockage was getting to much, so i packed it in and got a mobile home, but i do miss it

I have seen people in the mid 70 and early 80.*Health and/or strength/endurance is the limiting factor.* If you make it past the first*year or two, then how long is up to your SO and you.* We been a live aboard no for 14 year, but we are only 62, and do not plan to retire until 65 or 66.* A lot depends on*your parents as they are in their 80 and 90's.* My dad is 94 who I*visit most days to make sure he it eating and getting the care he needs.*

Do not get a boat that is beyond your comfort level, especially if you plan on using it and moving it around.**The Eagle is 58 ft, 40+ tons and is beyond my comfort level so it tied to the dock most of the time*but we do use the dink and run about daily.**However, make sure the boat*meets you SO approval as So tend to move off the boat first.* So keep the SO happy and healthy.**

Ron, this is an interesting thread.* Along the same line, I have often wondered the average span of time for a livaboard.* I know some have done it to well into their eightys, but that is the minority.* I think something close to the average would be good information.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 05:19:52 PM

Yes, and style of your trawler would surely be a factor. We love our sundeck, but even at 52 I can have some really sore knees after a few days of climbing steps on our boat. If I were planning on boating another 30 years I would need to move into something with less steps!
:no:

My wife choose/bought the Eagle being a wide body, easy on/off, no steep stairs/ladders, and few steps as she has a heel and hip problem.* The boat has a real blessing before her hip surgery and than physical therapy as there are plenty of hand holds and not that much space, and being full displacement is very stable.* The other feature she like was the solid high rails for when grandchildren come, and of course two extra staterooms.* So when looking/buying a boat you have to think about the future and what ifs.* Make sure you can get on/off and in/out of the boat with only one hand or better yet no hands and limited amount of effort.* You males have to put yourself in your wife shoes as we tend to have more strength and long legs. ***
The boat is big enough that you can not hear or be disturbed by the salon/galley, which has really helped as I get up at 6:00 and like to go to bed around 9 to 10.* However, my wife is semi retired and likes to sleep in to 10:00 and go to be at 11 to 12.* So we can get up with out disturbing the other person. So have enough distance/space you do not get on each other nerves.* Also make sure the boat has the*basic required creature comforts of the SO.* *
Also, most LA males do/help with 90% of the domestic work/maintenance, laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, what ever as you have to keep the SO happy and better kept than on the dirt as walking to/from the parking lot to the boat can be long and if there is a tide the ramps can get really steep.* Living on a boat will in general make/require you to be in better health/shape than on the dirt.

The longevity depends on a lot of things.**I can pretty much tell what couples will make it and what will not.**If a couple can make it through the first year, then maybe an average of 3 to 5 years.* In other words when looking at boat follow and take note of your SO likes and dislikes.***

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Your health and desire to continue will be the deciding factor. Susan and I are 20 years into our 5 year cruising plan. Chuck

Of more importance to me is it ever too early to start! :)

the PO of our trawler lived aboard the better part of the 18 years he owned the boat.* Judging by his stories and his appearance, I'd put him in his mid to late 70s.* He moved ashore and said he was selling the boat because it was no longer enjoyable for him to take his grandkids out.* He was too worried about something bad happening, like one of the kids going overboard and not being able to get them out of the water.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
the PO of our trawler lived aboard the better part of the 18 years he owned the boat.* Judging by his stories and his appearance, I'd put him in his mid to late 70s.* He moved ashore and said he was selling the boat because it was no longer enjoyable for him to take his grandkids out.* He was too worried about something bad happening, like one of the kids going overboard and not being able to get them out of the water.
*I'm more worried about our grandkids getting me out of the water!
biggrin.gif

Great replies! Thanks for the encouragement. We are both in good health, but my wife has had knee surgery and steps is an issue for her.

A boat with a flat interior will probably be best as hips and knees go making up/down harder.

A ramp might help with dock side boarding.

Although a set of stairs and a landing is best , its up to the marina folks.

In the winter the biggest concern is falling in the water.* In the winter with heavy winter cloths, the cold wind/water as we get older the chances of being able to get your self out of the water is low. *There for you have to take precautions to present falling into the water.* My wife has fallen in twice and luck to be alive, and I have fallen in once put was sort of expecting prepared for it.* I had the marina install dock ladders in front and behind out boat and along the docks.* I have also hung live rings and lines with in reach from the water.* So the dock, slip and boat are very important when being a live aboard, especially in the colder climates.*
Our present slip is just below the ramp, the boat is side tied and the wind/rain usually comes from the south so it pushes the boat against the dock and is protection against the wind/rain.* We decided boarding the boat from the swim deck, which we did in our previous slips was to risky.* So I built a set of steps, with railings that sticks out past the dock, the space between the steps and the boat is 3 to 6 inches.* I deflate the fenders, and tie the lines as tight as I can get them and then re inflate the fenders, so the boat moves very little and the stronger the wind the more the boat is pushed into the dock.
So when looking at boats also be looking at marina, docks, and slips as to risk/safety.* My wife and I have an agreement if either one of us falls into the water again we will move off the boat.* Our present slip, steps, and boat the risk is kept to a minimum as many*boaters have died close to or on their boat still in the slip.* *****

We've been doing it for over ten years now....and I expect they will drag me off the boat stone cold....I can live on the boat just as easily as I can live anywhere else...

I worked at a hospital in the Keys and can tell you from experience, Steps, ladders, and mold are the bane of liveaboards who have made it beyond the 1st year. Interior steps that HAVE to be navigated several times a day can be a nightmare as we get older and eyesight and balance aren't what they used to be. Ladders, esp. on the transom of aft cabin boats, were the biggest hazard particularly in high traffic moorings/marinas. Dampness leading to mold claimed more than one of the boaties while I was down there.

I have been on board for 16 years now and still lovin it.
I am 63 going on 64and can see me on board until at least 70 all going well.
I may then down size to a smaller boat around 34 ft , a mite easier to handle, it will be fiberglass, less maintenance
I will proably not live aboard but do short cruises in calmer waters.
That's the game plan any way.

UP and DOWN are harder on dem old bones than flat.

Consider how many different ladders and elevations the boat has.

UP stairs in the dark to dump the belly tank?

A great dockside ramp is far better than steps , and far easier to carry and deploy.

FUEL tankage should be large enough to last at least 1/2 the winter in cold areas.

This August I will celebrate my 30 th anniversary of living aboard and one month later I turn 78, still active & going strong.

WOW.. Capt Joe you are the envy of lots..*:party:*

Congrats and an early Happy Birthday for Sept*

Elwin*

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 5th of February 2012 09:10:20 AM

I am 65 and wife is 71. We live aboard our sailboat and we are looking to buy a trawler and move inland. We will continue to live aboard and have not yet given any thought to 'how much longer'.

Wife actually contributes her good health to living aboard. She says it's the climbing in and out of cabin and on and off os boat. We also do a lot more waking than when we were land lubbers.

Currently living aboard about 13 years or so.

Ahoy Tony B,

Your plans have a familiar ring to it, I was going to seek a shore side facility this summer, just after I get to year number 30.* Perhaps we might be able to assist each other.* I have a 1988 36 ft Kadey-Krogen Manatee on the market, email*me at captjoe60@aol.com we can share a few stories.

Ciao, Capt Joe

On January 27, I turned 64.* My wife turns 64 October 17, so she is younger than I am and does she let me know it until her birthday.* The only thing that is keeping me from retiring is when we both reach 65 and can get on Medicare.

Our Condo renters just called and gave notice, so we are going to sell the condo.* I figure what we get for it will pay off what we own, so we will have no ties to land and NO DEBT.

We have an old friend who still living on board of small and unconfortable boat at 85 . He is living on his boat last boat since 1987 .

I'm 67 so to 68

We have an old friend who still living on board of small and unconfortable boat at 85 . He is living on his boat last boat since 1987 .
I'm hoping to keep boating for a great deal longer as I'm just having too much fun. After 66 years on land I'm just starting to live the life and lovin it with the exception no garage to just walk into after dinner and tinker. I have a rolling shop but it's not always close at hand and I do miss my big stationary tools.

For the live aboard wannabee the first year will be the biggest learnig curve and hardest hit to the wallet.

This is esp true for folks that live where it gets cold , below freezing 3-4 months of winter.

No sweat in MIA with no air cond in August , there is still sunshades or fans.

But at 0deg F with out reliable heat , preferably that requires no electric. one can be dead , or attempting to keep afloat a very cold sinking home .

FF

This is especially true for boats with 30amp shore power

For the live aboard wannabee the first year will be the biggest learnig curve and hardest hit to the wallet.

This is esp true for folks that live where it gets cold , below freezing 3-4 months of winter.

No sweat in MIA with no air cond in August , there is still sunshades or fans.

But at 0deg F with out reliable heat , preferably that requires no electric. one can be dead , or attempting to keep afloat a very cold sinking home .

FF
How many boats burn up with multiple electric heaters struggling to heat a poorly insulated boat. It surprises me when people expect what is the equivalent to a single extension cord to heat the what's effectively a small home. When I rented my birth the first thing I did was rewire the dock to bring in a 240 volt 60amp circuit dedicated to my boat. Of course a the dock owner asked for meter as well. That was a couple of thousand right out of the box. I just rewired a Albin 39 that a woman had bought to live aboard in the Bay Area. Single 30amp service, no GFI circuits, all switchs and outlets mounted in cut out openings in panel or cabinets, Ac electrical power with reversed neutrals, Breakers switched the neutrals instead of the hot legs, This was all hidden cost to living aboard that was discovered when she couldn't run a couple of portable heaters and the hard wired with solid copper romex connected battery charger failed to maintain her house batteries.

Electric heat is not suitable for actual cold weather.

If normal above freezing temps do not put the engine and plumbing at risk, a local electrical supply problem for a week or two is of no concern .

At =20F and below the boat can freeze and sink in a single night.

And +20F is hardly real cold, probably seen as far south as JAX FL on rare winters.

FF

Wendy and I have been doing it on the same boat since 1982.
I am sixty and we intend to stay onboard the boat as long as I can haul up on a line.
I just don't think I can live as healthy physically or mentally in any other place than on the water.
When I become a hazard to the boat, others on the water, my mate or myself, I hope I will know to get off.... :blush:

But at 0deg F with out reliable heat , preferably that requires no electric. one can be dead
FF

We have been up for a few years now in the Great White North. We have seen as low -20º (below) farenheit and were frozen solid into the ice.
Have two 30 Amps coming on board and a diesel heat as well. Love it! The winds blow and the snow falls so the decks need shoveling off in the morning just to get out the door. Very healthy living.
We are currently on Pigeon Lake at 44º34'.492N / 078º30'.395
This image was taken on Lake Simcoe, which is part of the Trent Severn Waterway

1st%20winter%20HRMe.JPG

Back
Top Bottom