Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
We just moved aboard full time. Have no land based home as we sold it over two years ago.

Even though we just recently committed, the past three months we spent 85% of our time on it.

We do have an office 2.5 blocks away where we store things and have a couch with a tv for that activity.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Tampa
I would like to thank all of you for your individual insights into a matter that I thought might be ridiculous to even ask.

keep 'em coming!

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
We talked about doing a live-aboard and run from Newfoundland Canada to Florida US in the fall and back in the spring but we decided to purchase an oceanside property. It is located far left ( red roof ) with the single car garage. Our wharf is the far left hook.

I prefer this right now rather than living on our trawler. I may someday do the trip south but the timing has to be right.
Attached Thumbnails
Homestead.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
FF
Guru

I prefer this right now rather than living on our trawler. I may someday do the trip south but the timing has to be right.

So all winter you shovel snow?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #25
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Hahaha no, haven't shovel snow for years. Love sitting in my side-x-side pushing it around though. Also love hitting the country on the sled so I would miss that big time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

So all winter you shovel snow?

Come on, cut the guy some slack
I'm with you on the snow, but there are a lot of people I've met over the years, that prefer to live in colder climes. I'm not one of them, but to each their own

Ocean Breeze: I cab certainly understand your situation.
Previous to the trawler idea, we had been considering a waterfront condo here in Fla. Unfortunately, our insurance industry has shot a huge hole in the idea for now, doubling, tripling and more, the home owners insurance rates for waterfront homes and condos. These maggots have even taken the license to move the "area" into what have been traditionally/historically "no flood zones", and our idiots in Tallahassee (the Insurance Commissioner's Office) have allowed them to do it!

So for now, staying land locked and buying a boat is a better option for us.
Besides, if/when I get tired of the view or the neighbors (or vice-versa-LOL), I'll just up anchor and change it

In the end, we'll probably end up purchasing a smaller boat that we can handle and maintain easily and affordably (being a relative term). Our thoughts for now are something to use more as a portable condo, and do such runs as "The Loop", The Florida Keys, Sanibel/Captiva/Cabbage Key, the Bahamas and such. From there, who knows what life will offer up.

Based upon discussions with the Admiral to be, and the responses I've read here sort of solidify the decision, we'll very likely always maintain a land base. If for no other reason than it provides a bit of "stability" for the kids and other family. At this stage in life, it just makes sense. If I/we had made this decision 10-20 years ago, I'm almost certain that the result may have been different. Then again, it's hard to tell?

With the granddaughter growing up, there's a lot that we will want to be here for. As well, with dad not in the picture, I'm her role model, and I feel as though she needs me here, so I won't be venturing too far away for extremely long periods. I do plan on taking her with us during her spring and summer vacations, and letting her experience first hand, the boating life. She loves boats and the waterfront now as it is, so this is only a natural. As an aside, I'll be taking her to the boat show in St. Pete with us on Sunday.

Ok, enough of this babble....more responses

Thanks,

OD
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #27
FF
Guru

For the folks that will be facing their First winter in snow country realize that snow shoveling is done with a narrow stiff push broom .

In places where the sea water hasnt frozen yet a good sized deck wash pump will help.

In really cold DO NOT brush the snow off it is good insulation .

A light snow will show insulation weak points , just observe where the snow melts off.

The MUD ROOM concept , some place where folks can shed heavy wet boots and clothing , with out bringing them below is great , if you have the room.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here, winter usually means wearing a sweater. No snow.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
The People vs Winter

brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think living on a boat is nuts and would never part w a land home. However we are all livaboards. It's just a question of to what degree.
Many here in the US PNW spend the summer (or a significant part of it) up north. I've done some of that but I love my "stuff" and have no intention of dumping many things but now some must go.

We just bought a house a little smaller than the last and much smaller the the one before that. But now we finally have enough space (2 acres square) and I'm building carports and similar. Last fewdays it's been down in the low twenties and teens so most work has stopped. And in the cold weather the size of a house is golden.

I don't think we're going back to Alaska (just too far) but we plan on doing many week or two boat trips in Puget Sound and lower BC. We will be living aboard then but most of the time we'll be anxious to get home.

This is the Skagit River. We live about 2 city blocks to the left (north) of the river. We are a bit up in the mountains from Puget Sound.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0802 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
It's supposed to get into the 40's in the next couple of nights but right now it's glorious -- windy, sunny and the batts are doing an absorption charge. Of course this morning with 7.7 incoming amps and the wind genny spinning it was raining. Yes, it's the Sunshine State.

I never knew that bit about watching where the snow melts first so that's tucked aside in case I come down with a case of insanity and head north at some point.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think living on a boat is nuts and would never part w a land home. However we are all livaboards. It's just a question of to what degree.
Many here in the US PNW spend the summer (or a significant part of it) up north. I've done some of that but I love my "stuff" and have no intention of dumping many things but now some must go.

We just bought a house a little smaller than the last and much smaller the the one before that. But now we finally have enough space (2 acres square) and I'm building carports and similar. Last fewdays it's been down in the low twenties and teens so most work has stopped. And in the cold weather the size of a house is golden.

I don't think we're going back to Alaska (just too far) but we plan on doing many week or two boat trips in Puget Sound and lower BC. We will be living aboard then but most of the time we'll be anxious to get home.

This is the Skagit River. We live about 2 city blocks to the left (north) of the river. We are a bit up in the mountains from Puget Sound.
To each his own, Eric- I came out of 3000 sq ft house and couldn't be happier than I am now living aboard in (essentially) an 800 sq ft apt. I used to have all the stuff- 3 car garage, with 1 bay outfitted for my race car (tools, rack, compressors, spare engines and transmissions), 1/3 acre plot, etc, etc.... and now am perfectly happy with my lack of stuff and small living space.

I don't lack for anything, and enjoy the lack of yardwork

This past week, the boat was a balmy 70° inside while it was in the 20s outside....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #33

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Full time liveaboards now for 18 months and the house now turned into a rental. We made the commitment to go fulltime, while we were still working, to see it the plan worked for us. The house was turned over to a profession property manager, so we could see what it would be like to be in the situation...again before we pushed off for good. Our expected exit date is still 72 weeks away so we can make adjustments if need be, but so far, we are loving it.

Having the house leased for 12 months, means we can't move back, but then in the past 18 months we have never wanted to. At some point that will be additional income as well, and we keep a piece of dirt. Shortly the cars will go. As for items we've owned, many passed on to friends, family or yard sales. Just made no sense to store a couch table ..stuff for 2 years..5 years.20 years whatever. If we move back to dirt, we'll buy new stuff, and be money ahead as opposed to paying storage for years.

It may not work for everyone, but it is working for us..
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Cape Star
Vessel Model: Roughwater 36
I'm new here, but this thread struck a chord with me. My wife doesn't know it yet, but we may be headed in this direction. Where we are coming from may provide an additional consideration for some of you.

We sold our home not long ago and are currently living full time in our RV. I did a couple of years of research before we moved into our current fifth wheel trailer. We went through the process of simplifying and getting rid of extraneous stuff. We love not having to maintain or worry about a fixed home and especially not worrying about things happening to it while we are not there. Now, we are parked in an RV resort in Anacortes, WA and I am dreaming of a trawler. This area is beautiful, but we could easily move somewhere else if we wanted to. A little over a month ago, we were in Rockport, TX.

What I envision for a year or two down the road is possibly living on board, but keeping our RV in storage for whenever we want to live/move about on land again.

So, for those of you who live almost entirely on board, does the house need to be fixed or could it be mobile?
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
I did it backwards.. lived aboard a series of yachts and a RV for decades when I was young, then at the same time dockage prices was going through the roof (from $150.00 a month to $800.00 in just 3 years) down here in Miami, I was watching all the construction of high rises going up in the 90's, and (rightfully) figured I could buy one WITH dockage for what I was paying to rent 4 pilings and a seawall at the marina. Good move on my part. I was recently quoted $1800.00 a month to park a Bayliner 4788 here at a gated marina in N. Miami. Had it behind a neighbors house and it was stolen. Got it back, because I remembered seeing a 4788 going through the Broad Causeway Drawbridge (advantage of a high rise- VIEW!!) a couple of hours earlier, and tracked it down to the Miami River where I caught the thief red handed. Had my Captain (he had left the keys in the ignition!) take it up to Marina in Riviera Beach where it was much less expensive. Did I call the police on the thief? Yes, I did, but they never showed up, so I decided to make him a friend instead, as figured "how many times do you get to meet a guy with balls enough to steal a boat in broad daylight?- plus I was on HIS turf alone." Called the Coast Guard and they said "call us back tomorrow".
Better to have a pirate in the rolodex -than one looking for revenge. He said he passed 2 Coast Guard boats in Government cut too.
Bought ANOTHER boat to cruise in 2010, (sailboat- too slow- sold it after taking it exactly 2 miles from where I bought her) then bought a 43' Wellcraft in 2011- again dockage was the stickler, so it now lives in Curacao. Just for the record I personally wouldn't take a 1988 Wellcraft Portifino to even the Bahamas as I thought it just a cocktail bay cruiser, BUT the buyer took her all the way home on her bottom during Hurricane season with NO issues. Ironic that I specialize in Pilothouse boats but the longest voyage taken by any of my customers was in anything BUT a ocean voyaging boat. Where there's a will -there's a way.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #36
Guru

Tim, While the original question was geared more toward the fixed base homeowners, who had or had not made the decision to sell and move aboard permanently, the fact is, home is home be it mobile of fixed. Keeping a mobile (RV) home on land makes a ton of good sense.

PHK- Interesting observations. I like the idea of a waterfront place with a dock. Makes good sense.
Glad you recovered your boat as well. I knew a girl once, a former Coastie no less, who decided that stealing boats was more lucrative than staying legit. She and her boyfriend stole dozens of yachts over a period of a couple of years, selling them all in South America and the Caribbean. The stories she has told me of their exploits were truly amazing, both on their end and in the stupidity of the vessel owners. I was thinking of hiring her on as a consultant. It takes a thief to stop a thief! Unfortunately, as a condition of her probation, she can't be anywhere near a boat or the waterfront for another few years.

Greed and stupidity (on her boyfriends part) finally got them busted. She told him taking this one boat was a bad idea due to the location, but he didn't listen. She was released from prison about 2 years ago. The boyfriend still has a stretch to do

The bottom line is, they took every one of them right under the watchful eyes of all the enforcement agencies
Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When I first moved aboard, I kept my home, hired a management company and rented it out. It's been rented ever since. They charge one month's rent to lease it, and that includes credit checks, background checks, ads, etc. Then they charge 10% of the rent monthly to deal with the tenants. It's a great deal for me, since the only time I hear from anybody is if there is an expense over $250 that's needed. They inspect the house twice a year and send me a report. Charge 1/2 month's rent if a tenant re-leases. You get to have a dirt address to use for the UPS store, etc. It's paid for, and I can always move back if needed.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Sounds like a cool house! I've had storages spaces of various sizes while I've lived aboard. To save expense, I've also farmed out collectibles like a huge roll-top desk to people who could use them in their home. Your comment is spot on...the only reason to rent a storage space is to keep heirlooms that aren't replaceable, and the overflow stuff you MUST have even while living on the boat. The latter in my category are Christmas decorations we use every year in the parade, cooking stuff and electronics for when I move back to a house (which I did earlier this year). If you do the math, you'll realize it'll cost more to store things like refrigerators and other appliances, furniture, etc. than it'll cost you to buy those things when you move back to the house. When I moved back to the new house this year, I bought all my furniture used...when I move back to the boat I'll sell it for about what I bought it for. Store as little as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Kudo's to "Off Duty", great post. To sell or not to sell, the wife & I are agonizing over this very decision. It was always a part of our plan to sell the house when we moved aboard but as the day draws rapidly closer, we are having serious second thoughts.

Financially and logically it makes no sense whatsoever to keep it, it's too big, maintenance intensive and not suitable to renting out. Part of our problem is it is a very unique home that would be impossible to replace should we want to move back to land, the other hard part is that by virtue of size it has become a repository of family antiques and mementos that have been passed down for generations. In keeping with our plan I started selling this stuff off but it is getting increasingly difficult as I get down to our so-called prized possessions.

It is encouraging to know that so many have somehow gotten over these hurdles, as far as the stuff goes I'm thinking of renting a storage unit for the things we seemingly can't part with and see how things go. As to the house we are at an impasse and simply can't decide but I suspect common sense will eventually have to prevail.

I am thinking of one of those reverse mortgage type deals where they pay you a monthly amount and you get to stay in the house until death, has anybody gone this route? At a glance, it seems to me this might offer the best of both worlds and eliminates the need to sell anything. Thoughts anyone?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #39

City: EC FL
There is a third way to look at this problem, which only Fast Fred has hinted at.

Buy a house on the water with a dock.

In 2005 we sold our house for a inflated price at the top of the FL real estate “bubble”. Not because we were smart but just because we felt it was time to go cruising. Pure luck. I rented a storage unit because I was not going to sell my tools. I told the Admiral to fill it up with what she wanted to keep and she did - both levels. Whew, lot’s of stuff!

We cruised for 6 years. I never thought of us as live aboards since we kept moving. We were cruisers, stopping once a year or so for a month so we could attend to family or maintenance.

I hate living aboard in a marina - it’s like being back in a college dorm where everybody knows your business.

One day at anchor in Dark Harbor ME the Admiral says to me, “Lets go home to FL and buy a house on the waterway”.

So we did. Now when we cruise for 3 or 4 months at a time I have a service that comes by the house, exercises the appliances, checks the place over and sends me a video report.

My business partner drives our cars from time to time, and exercises my 2 motorcycles.

We get a lot of cruisers who we met on the water stop by our dock. Some of them are members here. We sure do have a good time with our visitors.

Life is good.

Mike
DeFever 40
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
Guru

Sceptic-Sounds like the best of both worlds

Keith, I like the outlook on the replaceable articles. Makes good fiscal sense to me

Thanks to both of you.

Happy New Year