Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #41

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Before my wife and I purchased our last house we had this discussion. We could have gone either way. There certainly is a lot of appeal in having less space, I have lived with my son and wife in under 800 square feet. The less space you have the less time is spent on that space.
Our minds weren't completely made up, but when we found our current home it just felt like the right move now. It's a lot of room - but it's funny how we fill the room in our lives. Whatever that might be, whether hundreds of square feet to thousands.
Later in life we may find ourselves much closer to the prospect of living full time. Until that time comes we'll enjoy the time we do have on whatever boat we happen to be on.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Agree with Keith. Self serve storage. If you follow the industry comments you will hear that the industry estimates that most long term storage renters spend more in rent then the value of the items stored.

Marty

Bay Pelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #43

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I have always wanted to live aboard and bought our boat with that in mind. We have 2 homes in NE Florida. Our townhouse is currently rented and will be paid off in 2 years. Our other home suits our needs but is too large for just my wife and I. Over the last 10 years my priorities have changed somewhat so I when the time comes we will sell the big house remodel the townhouse and split our time between the boat and townhouse. I have a few more years of working before we can really take off for any extended cruising but we will downsize expenses and increase the cruising kitty. I am not ready to sell everything and just have the boat. The comment of not having all eggs in one basket makes sense and the fact of having a home so close to being paid for it just makes sense to go that route for a while.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #44
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
There is a third way to look at this problem, which only Fast Fred has hinted at.

Buy a house on the water with a dock.
As far as I'm concerned that is THE answer. Only problem is the $. So, for me, it's looking like a place on the water with postage stamp size land, or, lots of acreage out in the boonies. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to either. Since I've been living in a townhouse community for about 8 years I've had my fill of neighbors. A little solitude in the woods is looking mighty attractive right now.

I'm just thankful that I'm in a position to have choices!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
As far as I'm concerned that is THE answer. Only problem is the $. So, for me, it's looking like a place on the water with postage stamp size land, or, lots of acreage out in the boonies. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to either. Since I've been living in a townhouse community for about 8 years I've had my fill of neighbors. A little solitude in the woods is looking mighty attractive right now.

I'm just thankful that I'm in a position to have choices!
Always a good position to be in.
That's the nice thing about our home. Our neighbors are close, but not too close, and they're all really great folks. The location is close (relatively) to anything/everything I want/need to do or get to.

I'd love to do the place on the water with a dock. Unfortunately, while properties are doable, our insurance industry here in Florida has just about dashed that hope for most working stiffs with their recent flood insurance rate hikes
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #46
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Come on, cut the guy some slack
I'm with you on the snow, but there are a lot of people I've met over the years, that prefer to live in colder climes. I'm not one of them, but to each their own

Ocean Breeze: I cab certainly understand your situation.
Previous to the trawler idea, we had been considering a waterfront condo here in Fla. Unfortunately, our insurance industry has shot a huge hole in the idea for now, doubling, tripling and more, the home owners insurance rates for waterfront homes and condos. These maggots have even taken the license to move the "area" into what have been traditionally/historically "no flood zones", and

OD
You don't have to buy into the insurance industries trap of buying their products. They push fear, and hold themselves the solution, when they are really the problem. As long as you have no lenders requiring insurance for their protection, your not required by law to have it for your home, boats, and toys. Instead of paying them huge sums for little (The Insurance giants just file bankruptcy and flee, when facing huge claims, as they did here in Florida after Andrew and Wilma, and you saw what they paid people in New Orleans after Katrina, so all your premiums were wasted) coverage-just go self insured, and spend that money on making sure your stuff is not vulnerable.

Be prepared. I rode out Andrew on my 50' pilothouse, and had no damage, and never had insurance. Of course, like windsurfing over sharks, you really cannot fall, and therefore don't. Insurance makes one subliminally have that option.

In Florida where rates are insane for boats (would you believe people pay $9k annually for a Bayliner 45'?) and homes ($36k annually for $300k?!), it's better to instead "have your act wired tight" (extra anchors, docklines, good locks, don't buy a house built on a slab in a flood zone, have generators, batteries, lots of food and water, and have a plan! Take a professional boat handling course, or hire a captain to train you for YOUR boat.). Don't let their business stop you from living life, the way YOU want to live it!

You always have the option of doing what they do, which is to have your assets protected by legal means, such as corporations inside of corporations inside a LLC, and file bankruptcy as a last resort when and IF the shit hit's the fan. Florida has a Homestead law which protects your home (where people hide their assets) from creditors. That's why OJ moved here. "ounce of prevention" Oh, final thought- Always know where the mother of people who could damage you lives. :>)

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #47
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I am in the process of downsizing now. My son and his wife, and the new grand daughter, live in the "big house". They plan to add a few more curtain climbers in the near future. My wife and I have moved into the "guest house". Tiny, 1 bedroom 1 bathroom, kitchen/living room, etc. We love it !!!. Also, I have divested myself of lots of things I thought I really loved. How about a Dodge Viper SRT10, with every power upgrade available, over 650 hp. It had just over 3000 miles on it. Obviously I didnt drive it much. Or my wifes Z06 corvette, that a rat filled with bird seed while it sat in the 3 car garage, didnt use it, hadta go. Shelby Cobra kit car, gone. I am still in the process of getting rid of stuff. I have a 90x30 shop full of "stuff" that I thought I needed. Turns out, after these things are gone I've almost forgotten about them. Yeah, I had fun with the toys and have some memories, like shifting the Viper into 3rd at over 100 and doing 3 full 360s going down Trail road past my house. I wont forget that. I have lots of memories like that. But the thing is, I dont miss the things I had at one time thought i really loved. My plan is, when I finish my trawler and put it back in the drink, is to cruise, maybe the world, maybe just close. But I do plan to be on the water. I hope my wife goes with me.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
... I hope my wife goes with me.
Well I hope so too my friend...

OD
Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #49

City: EC FL
I know this sounds counter intuitive but there is a lot of waterfront property in FL that is not in a flood zone.

Step one in looking for property in FL is to download the Flood Zone maps for the area you are interested in. By the way, these flood zone maps are not produced by the insurance companies but by Fema, and in the case of FL, in consultation with the Saint Johns water management district for north FL, and the South FL water management district for south Fl.

My property is not in a flood zone. My house is 14 feet above the water level at MHW. I have seen the water come over the seawall cap by about a foot on two occasions. My house is not on stilts - it’s the grade of the land. Makes carrying heavy stuff back and forth to the little DeFever a PIA.

The reason flood insurance rates have increased in some areas is that Fema and the US govt., by direction of the Congress and the president is obligated to make the program more in line with the real market rates.

My Flood Insurance has not gone up at all.

I would hope that Beach Bum would chime in here. He’s a experienced FL real estate guy who used to live in my area - Central FL.

Mike

Edit to add - I hope Mrs. Kulas goes along also. Mrs not-as sceptical-as me made all the difference.
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
If she chooses not to I will understand, she really likes her babies. I on the other hand, dont really care much for babies, and they dont seem to like me either. Give me a 10 year old and we will have a large time, until they are about 16, then all bets are off. Except, most 16 year old boys will fish instead of going to the prom, if they have been brought up right. My sons learned how to shoot wild bobwhites when they were about 10. We noodled catfish when the oldest 8. They still love hunting and fishing.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #51
Guru

PHK- You're correct sir. Assuming everything is paid off, there is no requirement to have insurance. Had to correct a health insurance guy recently when he started spouting off about the "requirement" to have auto insurance. "Proof of financial responsibility" is all one needs in Florida. As for insurance in general, While not required, I'll keep it rather than play the odds. get a good rep, good company, and might even want to consult a "good" attorney to make sure all the "loopholes" are filled in. If you're happy, then go for it. I'd rather use OPM than my own

Sceptic- very good points. Unfortunately, most of the West Coast of Florida is low enough that building codes require stilts for most new beachfront development, and just about everything is in a flood zone. I had a friend who lived in Palm Coast, Fl. and his yard leading to his dock was much the same way as you described yours...quite a grade.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #52
FF
Guru

Boonies , You bet !!!

We are not NOWHERE , but it can easily be seen across our canal.

At night to the East there is not a visible light for 15 miles!

15 miles to the grocery , and 55 to Ft Myers , but 65 ft wide water lots front can be has for $50-$60K, and homes with docks start at $100K -$125K.

The biggest place with 3 lots and a 5 year old house is about 350K .

Sure it takes getting used to for a recovering New Yorker , that dozens of shops/rersturants are not within a block, but eventually one gets used to it.

FL has no income tax and really fine gun Carry permitting , so going to town one is not caught in a gun free, free fire zone, like Chicago.

200+ ft of dock and two face docks for 50-70 ft in a hurricane hole,, and a workshop under the stilt house makes a good retirement spot .

Best the neighborhood has no problems with a boat or RV parked .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #53
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
In Florida where rates are insane for boats (would you believe people pay $9k annually for a Bayliner 45'?) and homes ($36k annually for $300k?!), it's better to instead "have your act wired tight" (extra anchors, docklines, good locks, don't buy a house built on a slab in a flood zone, have generators, batteries, lots of food and water, and have a plan!

You always have the option of doing what they do, which is to have your assets protected by legal means, such as corporations inside of corporations inside a LLC, and file bankruptcy as a last resort when and IF the shit hit's the fan. Florida has a Homestead law which protects your home (where people hide their assets) from creditors.
I use to have a small house in Fl, but sold it. And the insurance rates were going up greatly, even after NEVER having any claims against the policy for many years. Have not looked at any rates in a long time. Are they that high all over Fl, or just in the southern areas?

Are the boat insurance rates really high all over Fl as well?....and because the vessel is in that southern USA hurricane potential zone.? Wonder about rates up on the St Johns river near St Augustine,...either for a ~40' boat, or small home/trailer for part time living in USA?

Homestead law/credit takes a while to newly establish, or re-establish, is that correct??
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
I know this sounds counter intuitive but there is a lot of waterfront property in FL that is not in a flood zone.

Step one in looking for property in FL is to download the Flood Zone maps for the area you are interested in. By the way, these flood zone maps are not produced by the insurance companies but by Fema, and in the case of FL, in consultation with the Saint Johns water management district for north FL, and the South FL water management district for south Fl.

My property is not in a flood zone. My house is 14 feet above the water level at MHW. I have seen the water come over the seawall cap by about a foot on two occasions. My house is not on stilts - itís the grade of the land. Makes carrying heavy stuff back and forth to the little DeFever a PIA.
Wasn't there a lot of 'redefinition' by the insurance companies of what was and was not covered under flood insurance, and what constituted a flood??

Weren't some really heavy rain loses refined as floods so the insurance companies could claim the homeowner could not collect on insurance as he/she did not have flood coverage, even though they were not in a flood potential area??

Seems to me this occurred in both FL and much of the southern states affected by Katrina ??....the insurance companies finding ways to weasel out of obligations.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
15 miles to the grocery , and 55 to Ft Myers , but 65 ft wide water lots front can be has for $50-$60K, and homes with docks start at $100K -$125K.
South or north of Meyers?

I was down that way a few years ago and looked at a houseboat in Goodland FL....interesting place.

...but I imagine the weather somewhat parallels that of Thailand, thus my Thai wife and myself would have trouble selecting what season to spend where?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #56
FF
Guru

South or north of Meyers?

EAST , up the Caloosahatchie River past the Ortonsa Lock.

Gooing inland means a day spent driving down the river to get to the GOM or 2 days going east to the Atlantic , but thats the price of cheap , in a Hurricane Hole.

Day sailing sucks , its just driving in a dug canal, but it is fine for required exercising the engine.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #57
Guru

FF.

Any obstructions enroute to either the GOM or Atlantic side from your place?

I'm assuming from your post, that there's no HOA Nazi's to have to deal with

I'd like to get somewhere closer the open water, but hey, a day one way or the other ain't gonna hurt, and it's as you said, a small price to pay for the safety of the hurricane hole.

Besides, if I'm understanding it correctly, I could even run our airboats out to the lake from there? Do I have the geography correct?

OD
Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #58

We will have our home paid for in March. The hubby won't let me sell it. Kind of a twist there. He just feels like he needs something to come home to. We have a 42ft CHB Ponderosa in the San Joaquin Delta. I figure we have a lot of waterways around here to explore close to home. I would like to go to the PNW for a bit as well. We will have to see where the tide takes us.
debstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #59
FF
Guru

Any obstructions enroute to either the GOM or Atlantic side from your place?

Franklyn Lock and Ortona Lock and a really low bridge at Alva. if FMY bound.

Also more locks and bridges going to the Atlantic.

The locks are one of the prices for Hurricane Hole safety.

>Step one in looking for property in FL is to download the Flood Zone maps for the area you are interested in. By the way, these flood zone maps are not produced by the insurance companies but by Fema, and in the case of FL, in consultation with the Saint Johns water management district for north FL, and the South FL water management district for south Fl.<

Fl has just reevaluated almost all the flood zones , but they used 40-50 year old maps .
There is currently a HUGE hue and cry over this Army Corps Stupidity , and many law suits will follow.

Hurricane insurance can be quite high , although a proper shaped , and constructed , and protected home will pay about 1/2 of a lesser home..
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Franklyn Lock and Ortona Lock and a really low bridge at Alva. if FMY bound....Also more locks and bridges going to the Atlantic...The locks are one of the prices for Hurricane Hole safety...
Good point.

Quote:
Fl has just reevaluated almost all the flood zones , but they used 40-50 year old maps .
There is currently a HUGE hue and cry over this Army Corps Stupidity , and many law suits will follow.
Been waiting to see the fur fly, as I'm sure it will.
Going to be an interesting ride for a few years I believe.

Quote:
Hurricane insurance can be quite high , although a proper shaped , and constructed , and protected home will pay about 1/2 of a lesser home..
Small price to pay for living in paradise