Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here in California, the property taxes on boats is the same as for real estate. The difference is that taxes go up as the value of real estate rises (as limited by Proposition 13), while they go down for a depreciating boat.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #82
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Thai Style Houseboat/Cottage

I'm actually vacillating back and forth between the idea of a floating cottage and a used liveaboard vessel, one each for my portion of the year I live in Thailand, and the other portion in the USA.

It all really began as a thought to have a cottage down by the southern seashore in Thailand since I have married a lady who lives in the north. Then came the idea to make it a 'floating cottage' that might be moved to different areas over the years. Here is a subject thread I started on that idea a few years ago:
Bali or Thai style houseboat - YachtForums.Com

I then began to consider this same idea for 'floating accommodation' to use while we were in the USA for a portion of the year. I was finding it to be more difficult to overcome some logistical situations here in the USA than I originally envisioned,....and to the point that I began to think it would be easier to just utilize an older boat as there would be less opposition from local authorities and marinas.

I dropped the whole idea for a few years due to a few other circumstances, but just recently during my 2 month stay in Thailand the idea has resurfaced. I went looking for other 'floating examples' in Thailand and posted a few 'resort examples' on that other subject thread.
Bali or Thai style houseboat - Page 3 - YachtForums.Com

I'm going to have to sort thru my photos, etc I took on this trip and post them in a subject thread.

PS: Years ago I owned a luxury townhouse right on the harbor of Annapolis, and had a boat business there as well. Sometime later I was living in DC, and ended up buying an older wood yachtfishermen vessel that had only 1 of 2 engines operational. I was unsure as to what I was going to use it for, perhaps just a waterfront cottage there, but I just got it at a fire-sale price. Before I could formalize my plans for this vessel a gentleman came along and made me an offer I could not refuse. But what was he going to do with this vessel??

His answer, turn it into a water front liveaboard vessel for those times he spent in his hometown of Annapolis. See he traveled much of the time building/supervising cell phone tower installations around the country, and upon returning home wanted a nice waterfront cottage. And as he said he could not justify the high cost of buying and fees of waterfront property on land.

brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #83
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I think the problem here is you 2 guys are in California where there are limited numbers of natural inlets and locations for marinas,....so they are in short supply??

In other areas of the US, there are many more marinas, and nowadays slip space and rental rates are more negotiable with the current depressed boating economy.
What makes you say that? Have you ever been to the SF Bay and CA Delta? 1000 miles of waterways and more marinas than I can count.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
To be honest, I wasn't looking for a boat to put a lot of time and money into. I wondered if it was possible to buy an inexpensive boat that was comfortable to live in but would never actually get underway. Not a fixer upper. A leave it as it is.
You seem to be asking everyone to do your research for you.

Get on the Internet and search for what you are looking for. Also, ask around at local marinas to make sure they will allow what you plan on doing. For example, my marina (because of it's permit from the county) does not allow people to "live aboard". Staying aboard (for a few days) is fine. They also require boats to be moved in the event of a pending hurricane. A boat that cannot move under its own power would not be allowed in the marina.

Keep in mind that you will generate sewage and need some way to have it pumped out. Some marinas have a pumpout boat or mobile cart, some have pumpout facilities at each slip, but in some marinas you have to move your boat to a pumpout station. Some marinas have no pumpout facilities at all.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #85
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Boats can avoid the pumpout issue as long as they aren't in no discharge zones....type 1 MSDs meet that requirement and many liveaboards have something like it to avoid the pumpout hassle...

Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | LectraSan

I occasionally tow motorless houseboats from marina slips to the travel lift for the winter/storms...we used to do it for a very nominal charge ($100/each way) and did quite a few... but now it's full price so they get others to do it instead.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
What makes you say that? Have you ever been to the SF Bay and CA Delta? 1000 miles of waterways and more marinas than I can count.
Good point, didn't think about that.

I was just thinking their 'boating coast' is somewhat limited compared to that of the east coast. I guess I don't know my geography of calf that well. But isn't that 'delta region' all a part of the San Fran Bay area?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Boats can avoid the pumpout issue as long as they aren't in no discharge zones....type 1 MSDs meet that requirement and many liveaboards have something like it to avoid the pumpout hassle...
Had forgotten about those units. I imagine they put out less pollution over the years than just one minor 'accidental spill' by an overloaded municipal plant (and those occur far more often than advertised).
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Had forgotten about those units. I imagine they put out less pollution over the years than just one minor 'accidental spill' by an overloaded municipal plant (and those occur far more often than advertised).
Somewhere I heard that they put out cleaner water than municipal sewage plants and something else...can't remember but it was about no discharge zones and the writer was saying that if people were allowed to use them in no discharge zones they would actually help clean up the water.

Can't relocate that article or the ppm comparisons.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #89
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Floating Apt.

If you are looking for a floating apt. that wont go nowhere, your best bet is a houseboat with non-working engines. You can't hardly give one away.
Don't know anything about your area but areas I am familiar with require that a boat be moved under it's own power. At least that is for the nicer marinas. The derelict marinas have no such rules. Different areas of the country vary in their rules. I am used to hurricane territory where there are mandatory evacuations.
Anyway, you could probably get an older houseboat about 40' at give-away prices. Like in the $5K category. You wont find these in Yachtworld.com so check the local brokers and walk the docks. Walk a lot. Most will probably be FSBO.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #90
Guru

There are places where you can set a deck on some floats and build whatever you want on top. There's a TV show "Buying the Bayou" where some of the homes are just that.

Other places, that's not allowed.

I doubt many of the $5K houseboats have LectraSan sewage treatment systems.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #91
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
You can buy a houseboat with dead inboard or outdrive engines, and for modest money put something like a single 40hp outboard on a bracket. Can even leave the dead engines installed as ballast. 40hp is plenty to move around, and depending on how bracket is set up, motor can be tilted clear of water (very important).

Anything that goes wrong with an outboard can be fixed with four bolts!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
There are places where you can set a deck on some floats and build whatever you want on top. There's a TV show "Buying the Bayou" where some of the homes are just that.

Other places, that's not allowed.

I doubt many of the $5K houseboats have LectraSan sewage treatment systems.
Some marinas have pumpouts at every slip or so the hose will reach your slip....

Lectrasans used aren't too bad in price and if a $5000 houseboat needs a $1000 Lectrasan to be legal and allowed in a marina...it might be worth it for those that want the lifestyle...
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #93
Guru

Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #94
Guru

Floating Rafts and Houseboats in Thailand

Just today I'm going thru a whole lot of photos I took of a large number of floating rafts (entertainment and dinner rafts), and houseboats on the river Kwai in Kanchanburi Thailand. I'll have to post some when I get back home...in route now

Oh and most of these rafts/homes are rather large, and have no propulsion power of their own. But the do have some great little tow boats. Got some pics of them as well.

Here's a few:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2629.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	28012

Name:	DSCF2639.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	28013