Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #21

If you really don't plan on taking the boat out, a houseboat, as suggested by psneeld, is very hard to beat. They are more similar to a house than a trawler of the same size would be and much cheaper to buy and maintain.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
..... a houseboat, as suggested by psneeld, is very hard to beat..
Ditto!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Corpus Christi
In that case I will look for a good houseboat.

Has anybody ever heard of someone renting a liveaboard to try it out before actually buying?
Tuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
Has anybody ever heard of someone renting a liveaboard to try it out before actually buying?
Renting or chartering for a few days to a week is common. However if you mean month to month, similar to an apartment that is very rare. A boat owner would have nothing to gain.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Look at houseboats...usually the cheapest for the most interior room.

Many can be had in the $10,000-$20,000 range....inexpensive to keep as they are well suited for Home Depot style maintenance issues.

Page 1 of 3 - New and Used Houseboats for sale on BoatTrader.com - BoatTrader.com

sort low to high on price
If all you really want is a waterside condo than a houseboat or a floating home is perfect.

Bigger inside than a seaworthy boat, and more "house" type systems. For example no need for 12 volts if you are plugged in all the time.

I've seen floating houses in the PACNW (IE BC and southeast alaska). They do not pretend to be seaworthy, they are just that, floating homes.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Oldfishboat too river side condo conversion

I first met this old girl while living aboard in the same marina that she was moored. One afternoon I noticed she was a little low in the water. I walked over to talk to the current owner that had her for sale. He had just brought a wet dry vac down. But as I walked up to him and the boat she just dropped into the water with the dock lines holding her up. The head had just gone under and wa la she filled fast. She had been out sea trial a week or so prior with a prospective buyer running around the river. But something was "left open, and something was turned off. So the portable pump went to work .

She was then pulled out of the water lifted up and converted to a riverside condo. Power and fuel tanks pulled out. Home depot cabin built onto boat.

Then purchased by Mom in law where she lived for many years. Surveyed / insured with good solid place to moore.

The only real issue I had was insurance. In that most underwriters do not offer this kind of "cross over " policy. Its a boat yet not , its a float home yet not. However insurance eventualy happened.

I could push pull it around with the 12 foot livingston. For any long hauls I could add balast along the keel inside ( drums of water ).

She is still here in this marina. Has now gone through one owner that lived aboard after Mom and is now used by some one in the airline industry for a base away from home.

Cheap and effective

Is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clara S.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	20978   Click image for larger version

Name:	conversions and oil slick 006.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	20979  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

OFB,

How big was that boat and how much did it sell for? This is exactly what I was initially asking about, although I will still look at house boats.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Be careful of buying a boat that can't run. Here you are required to prove your boat is operational or you cannot have a liveaboard slip. There are many reasons a marina would have that requirement anyway. Like everybody says, what starts in CA moves on to the rest of the US. I'd check around first. Just an FYI
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The real issue you're going to have is a place to dock your floating apartment. finding a non seaworthy boat is easy.

Most harbors I've seen (and read the moorage agreements to) exclude boats that cannot and do not leave the harbor under their own power.

The reason they do this to keep derelict boats out of their harbor. People, ie other boaters want to see nice looking, boats in the harbor. Derelict boats in general are not welcome in any harbor.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #30

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Be careful of buying a boat that can't run. Here you are required to prove your boat is operational or you cannot have a liveaboard slip. There are many reasons a marina would have that requirement anyway. Like everybody says, what starts in CA moves on to the rest of the US. I'd check around first. Just an FYI
Ditto that, in Monterey the rules of the marina say that your boat must be navigable. They have made a few go out and circle mile buoy. I can't help but think the maintenance will kill you. It's got to be cheaper to rent an apartment that isn't going to sink. On a boat, everything goes wrong eventually. If you don't find joy in maintenance, it won't be a lot of fun.

Just my two cents
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
Ditto that, in Monterey the rules of the marina say that your boat must be navigable. They have made a few go out and circle mile buoy. I can't help but think the maintenance will kill you. It's got to be cheaper to rent an apartment that isn't going to sink. On a boat, everything goes wrong eventually. If you don't find joy in maintenance, it won't be a lot of fun.

Just my two cents
Exactly!! Marinas cull out people who are not boaters and every boater I know in all marinas I know of squeal to the office of sneak aboards and people only looking for a flop boat.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Well, then maybe it is not all that good of an idea.

I can see how marinas could wind up looking like a trashed out trailer park if things like this weren't kept under control.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Guru

My advice if you love the water and want to live aboard is to start by taking sailing lessons or boating courses and get real familiar with the rules of the road and running a boat. Then find one that operates well enough and is liveable in as well as in your budget. Then you will fit in with other boaters, have talking points in common and I'm sure you'll find working on your boat and going out on it much more fun than just sitting at the dock.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have already signed up for a sailing class. Looking forward to it!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
I have already signed up for a sailing class. Looking forward to it!
Awesome Tuffy, now you're on your way. Good luck
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Corpus Christy is an awesome sailing town. I understand it has very predictable wind patterns. If I don't miss my guess the local marina is probably 70%+ sailboats anyway.

Sail lessons are a fantastic introduction to boating Tuffy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Cast Off
Vessel Model: 1984 hunter 34
Yes.right now the wind is gusting to 30 mph. Most of those boats never go out. We've been out there on many major holidays and there's no one out there but us.But it is nice.Especially Shamrock Cove, if you can get across that rough bay.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Here are two hose boats in the marina that are FL registered. The smaller one has one engine and the larger twins. Both have IO's and aluminum hulls. ICW cruising? Probably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	20994   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	20995  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The houseboats may be more practical for what I want to do, but those trawlers sure look better!

I want to use my weekends for fishing from a motor boat, sailing, and sea kayaking. I have access to each without having to buy a boat.

How practical it is to buy a house boat depends entirely on how expensive the boat is and how much it costs to maintain it. From what I can tell, a house boat costs a lot less than a house. I already know that the views from the boat are better than any house I could afford. I guess the trick is to buy a boat that has already depreciated as much as it is going to, assuming maintenance is performed.

Do house boats have the exact same maintenance requirements as a trawler?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
The depreciation of a houseboat approaches zero with no maintenance. Not so true with a house sitting on dirt: the dirt will always be worth something! A houseboat sitting on the bottom can actually be a liability.... Like I said earlier and Capthead said, most marinas want useable boats with insurance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote