Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Auburn, Washington
Vessel Name: ???????
Vessel Model: ???????
Journey Continues

Hey Everyone,

My quest to be on a boat as a partial live aboard by spring 2016 had me driving to Anacortes, Wa to look at four boats a week ago. A 1984 35' Performance Trawler Sundeck, a 38' Performance Trawler Sundeck, a 1981 38' Performance Trawler Europa and a 1983 37' CHB Tri Cabin. The CHB was the best of all the boats. Master Aft Cabin was spacious with a CL Queen bed and all the storage I will need. In the V-Berth I found the extra room I was looking for. I thought I had my needs figured out with the Tri Cabin style until I looked at a 1978 39' Universal Trawler Europa on Saturday in Tacoma, Wa. What a boat. Seems that I can expand my search beyond the tri cabin design. This Europa had a great lay out with a spacious port side cabin and fantastic V-birth. This 39' in Tacoma was spectacular compared to the 38' Performance Trawler Europa in Anancortes.

I did a little research on the Universal Trawler builder and could not find anything. Does anyone know who builds this boat and where? What comments do all you guys have on U.T.'s?

Thanks,
ALL IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Universal and Litton are somewhat synonymous and they are often called Litton Universal or Universal Litton. They are another Taiwanese make that flourished in the late 1970's to mid 1980's. It is possible the building of the boats were contracted to various yards in Taiwan. Unlikely you will find much information on them as most of the builders went defunct in the late 1980's.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Auburn, Washington
Vessel Name: ???????
Vessel Model: ???????
Thanks. My search will continue for the right boat.
ALL IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Hey Rick, the longer you " look" the better defined your needs will be. What seems great today may show up as potential disaster next week. We spent 4 years shopping, looking, dreaming, talking, etc. Maybe we are just slow but finally understood what we wanted and how we were actually going to use the boat. As a bonus, while we shopped the boat we eventually bought decreased in price almost 50% from the previous year! The seller was just tired of waiting.
Define your needs, Define your wants, Define WHAT you will do once you are "All In".
Good luck and enjoy the process.
Dave.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote