Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Indian River City,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
If you have an old boat;how was your first year aboard

Hi to all,
Well, we have been living aboard for about 5 months and I must say it's been a little rough. She is a 1985 Defever '41 with good bones. However, as we were starting to move aboard the holding tank cracked, and what a stink. I measured and ordered a tank with a little larger capacity, unfortunately it was about 1/4" to tall so I reordered a smaller capacity tank thus smaller in size. Now, I must buy another tank( custom) because the capacity is way to small for two living a board.
The old Dometic Refrigerator quit so we spent $200 for a repairman to say the cost to repair it would exceed its worth. We bought a regular fridge that we will soon run off of an inverter. (just bought)
The aft cabin air just quit working.
There are other things not mentioned.
Has anyone else had these kind of experiences.

Thanks for letting me cry in my beer.

P.S. An evening cocktail over looking the river with a cool breeze blowing seems to make it all worth while.

Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You ask the wrong question. You should ask "Has anyone with a 30 something year old Taiwanese Tub not had those experiences?". Keep an eye on your fuel tanks. They will go next. Ahhh, that wonderful aroma of diesel....

Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
TJM
Veteran Member

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
I am on my 4th year aboard on a 1982 President. Your experiences are common, but frustrating. I rationalize it by the fact that boats are designed to be "entertainment" and not used 24/7 as we do.
Get to know all of your systems and make sure they fit how you will use the boat.
Newer replacement items are much better designed for efficiency and space. Every time you make an upgrade life gets better.
We use the Marina features as much as possible, dock water supply, marina head, 120 VAC etc...
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We lived aboard our '84 38' Fu Hwa for three months this past summer. Very pleasant place to be...but that was the problem. We were in one place (and we still are).

We were: Awaiting new fuel tanks and their installation. Rebuilding ER wooden equipment shelves and associated parts. Reassembling water system onto the new shelves. Removing stray and poorly done wiring. Redoing a bunch of the wiring with more to do. Removing varnish. Rebuilding sliding door rollers. Adding VHS radio and antenna. Replacing water system hoses. Rewelding stainless steel water tank. Replumbing galley sink drain. Replumbing head tank vent. Adding most of a second bilge pump. Adding a forward bilge pump. Scrubbing diesel out of the ER and bilge. Adding swim ladder. Troubleshooting port engine wiring, successfully. Troubleshooting starboard engine random overheating, so far unsuccessfully. Topping up and bleeding helm pump. Reading and napping!

We're back home at the house to lots of projects here.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Gordon, your experiences are not limited to livaboards, old, or Asian boats. Boat-break out another thousand.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
One of my favorite quotes, from the old salt pro captain of a high end custom sportfisher"

"Even as we sit here enjoying our drinks, all tied up and safe and sound, something is breaking"

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
6 years of pretty solid project accomplishment ...cant say most were 8 hr days and averaged 4 to 6 month trips to Fl that were not that much in major project completion.

But just about everything except the main and genset engines have had major work or replacement.

Sometime wonder if building new would have been less or at least easier work.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
We've owned our boat now for 5 years. We're not living aboard so I know our projects are easier to deal with than yours. I had a lot of projects early on but most were planned for. Complete rebuild of wheel house and v berth. All new teak caprails, doors and anchor pulpit. New paint on the cabin inside and out . New paint on all deck space,custom made davits and new bottom job that included some fiberglass work. Mechanical work here and there.The boat had the tanks already replaced before we bought it. Right now it needs new ac unit, all the hatchs need reworking and I have some more woodworking projects I want to do.
Hang in there man everything you do to your boat adds a sense of pride and accomplishment and she will thank you for it.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
We've quit calling them repairs and changed the term to 'upgrades.' And yes, very common. Our take on it is, now that we're living aboard, pushing the systems every day 24/7 the 27 yr old stuff is showing it's age. Taking our time, doing most of the work ourselves, we're getting her tuned up. It beats cutting the grass and washing cars, re-roofing the house, etc. I'd rather be in the 'man cave' below decks than doing any of that stuff.

Frustrating - can be. I'm learning patience and taking my dirt home / shade tree mechanic skills to a whole new level. But you are in fine company, and we can't beat the view.

Eat Life -
www.grandpapickers.com
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Trenton
Cruising is just doing boat maintenance in exotic locations. Perhaps living aboard is doing the same but standing still?
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #11

City: Wakefield
I'd like to offer some guidance but I have to get home to check the furnace, take out the window AC units, fertilize for fall, rake the garden out...hoping to finally paint the bedroom this winter and I really should figure out where the roof is leaking!
Snug Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thank you all

Thank you all for you responses. I will read them them to the co-captain as I know it will calm her nerves as it did mine.
Gordo
Old 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I love this quote

Best quote of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
One of my favorite quotes, from the old salt pro captain of a high end custom sportfisher"

"Even as we sit here enjoying our drinks, all tied up and safe and sound, something is breaking"
Old 10-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Gordon
Sometimes the breakdowns do have a lull. It just crossed my mind that it's been about 6 months since I've had to fix anything at all. Knock on wood.

That's after replacing the engine, gearbox, fuel tanks, batteries, navigation instruments, radios, cockpit hardtop, fridge, thru-hulls, hoses and skin fittings, windlass, anchor, rode, 90% of all wiring and lights, bilge pumps, battery charger, propellor, standing rigging, running rigging, sound insulation, fuel lines & filtering system. The only thing I've replaced twice is the damper plate.
Having done all repairs myself, I can say that I know my boat inside out.

It helps having a boat with very simple systems. (single small engine, no a/c, no heating, simple manual toilet, metho and butane stoves, all 12V, no inverter, basic electronics).

There still are a few original components besides the hull. Water tanks (built-in fiberglass), water supply pump, toilet, mast and boom, and the old metho stove are all original.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Be happy when you will have fixed and upgraded everything, you will have nothing to do ( well for a minute or two )
The way I see it is that a boat is more a house with an engine so always something to fix or maintain, but if done on a regular basis it's staying under control instead of doing nothing and waiting everything to fall apart.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Be happy when you will have fixed and upgraded everything, you will have nothing to do ( well for a minute or two )
The way I see it is that a boat is more a house with an engine so always something to fix or maintain, but if done on a regular basis it's staying under control instead of doing nothing and waiting everything to fall apart.

L
. . . what he said.

Eat Life -
www.grandpapickers.com
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I sure would prefer to be ignorant to this, but thatís pretty much the way it is. I, on the other hand, seem to have a project fetish, so for my experience, add 40 percent to everything said so far. My boat is an Ď87.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
A lot of the workload, if not the majority, is based on what your standards are for seaworthiness, livability and cosmetics. One man's "broken" is another man's "I can live with that in that condition".

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
Guru

"Something is breaking." As ol' time ballplayer Satchel Paige used to say, "Don't look back, something's gaining on you."
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #20

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The first year you live on a boat is the worst. After living on the same boat for 16 years everything was perfect and I found myself bored so I bought a boat that needed lots of TLC. Iíve been happy ever since.

There were times when I felt over whelmed, like the time my boat had a 15 degree list because both engines and transmissions were on the starboard side of the boat, one in my saloon, while I replaced an outboard fuel tank all while living on the boat in my slip. I survived it.

For me, living aboard is only a five year plan, that I have renewed 4 Times now.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote