Ideas for hanging bike from boat rail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalSeaGal

Vessel Name
Madge You're Soaking In It
Vessel Make
PT Overseas Sundeck trawler
Greetings.
I am trying to find a way to hang my mountain bike from my boat (PT Overseas Sundeck) rail. I use my bike every day so I need something easy and accessible in which to hang the bike. My rails are wood. Anyone come up with or seen a contraption that works? Thank you!

I haven’t done it yet but I was going to try to use a roof rack bike mount for a a car or SUV and mount it to the rail.

I use my bike every day as well.

My boat is different I suppose but I just secure it in the cockpit with a couple bungees

I'd definitely give some consideration to keeping the bike protected from salt spray. It'll stay in better condition and need less maintenance if you can keep it dry and not salty, as you'll have less corrosion to deal with.

Have 2 e bikes. Although they are heavy found only practical space is on boat deck. Secured with bungees but also locked. Wife is figuring out a way to do sunbrella covers. Have outlets up there for charging so leave batteries in. Still take them out briefly when moving bikes to aft cockpit. When in home marina leave them on locking bike rack on car with batteries removed and charging inside the boat. Unfortunately until you go big can’t think of a truly convenient way to do this. Bikes are hub driven with aramid belts. To date corrosion hasn’t been an issue.

these: Quick-Release Fork Mount Rack
on the stern edge of the upper deck. The back wheel can rest on the back cabin top.

Dont hang weight on dynamic rails....flex will.break stanchion seals lead to water incursion. We built 2 x 3. 3/4 starboard platform on 4 inch riser. Attached it to rails with u bolts. No stress on rails. Works nicely for 2 folding e bikes. Bikes strapped to platform. Suggest you keep weight off rails.

Bill Gillroy
Maka Honu
42 ft tay PH Trawler

these: Quick-Release Fork Mount Rack
on the stern edge of the upper deck. The back wheel can rest on the back cabin top.

I use quick release fork mounts for the two bikes on the sailboat. It works best if you first grind the lawyer lugs off of the fork so the quick releases can work they way they were designed to work.

Ditto the concern of salt spray on an expensive bike while underway. Maybe below decks while traveling and on deck while at rest?

I wouldn't. If I were travelling, I'd just lash them in the cockpit. The OP has a large aft-cabin model, so there will be plenty of room. In port, I'd chain it at the head of the dock or somewhere near the dinghy dock.

I just bought a boat and have yet to seriously address this problem. I might just put a couple of cheap bikes on it temporarily. Salt spray does not sound all that great for the bikes. One bike is a $10k mountain bike and the other is a $7k electric bike. At the moment, I am paranoid to leave them locked outside a Piggly Wiggly. I can't stand the feel of a cheap bike, but it might be a good working solution right now.

One bike is a $10k mountain bike and the other is a $7k electric bike.

I can understand the desire to have a quality bike, but you're not doing that kind of mountain biking. You're going to the store, or the beach. Buy a $200 bike, then donate it at the end of the season.

To Bgillroy: do you have any pics of this set-up? thanks in advance.

We have kayaks mounted on our rails. I’m getting rid of them. Think putting weight or large objects with wind resistance can degrade the bedding. Don’t like anything of significance mounted on rails. Biggest thing a rod holder or gps puck or antenna. Minimal wind resistance.

I tried hanging kayaks outside the bow rails on my Albin. Huge P.I.A. getting them into position.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom