Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: How ofter do live aboard leave the dock

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:M
From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"* but I am envious of your Jaguar(s).

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.* Suave, yes sir, absolutely sauve.

*"Au contraire?" you say? French, eh? You must have been one of those sauve Zouaves. The girls must have loved you in those pants. Nice color too.

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1093843&aBID=115492[/img]

*Yes, yes. *My Breton red knickers. *I would wear them at Newport during the "season". *Drove the girls wild.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

dwhatty wrote:M
From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"* but I am envious of your Jaguar(s).

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.* Suave, yes sir, absolutely sauve.

Dear Mr. Donald Moon, ESQ.

We are not generally in the habit of correcting folks posts, but we have to point out a possible typing mistake of yours.

Your comment "Surely it wasn't the cars getting the girls. I just know it was me." seems to be accidently reversed. "Cars"should be "me" and vice versa.

Always at your service,

Jaguar of Coventry

*I say, is that you Sir William Lyons? *I certainly meant no offense. *Your cars are so svelte and sexy that they must have had the desired affect on the ladies. *Zooming off with to the soft purr of the Jag was a pleasure indeed. *In the evenings riding through the brick paved streets under the palm trees of Winter Park was quite special indeed.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #43

the jag was a good hobby car?
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
capt jerry wrote:
the jag was a good hobby car?
*If you are into masochism and an empty wallet, yes.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #45

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

I owned this E type Series II for 40 years while living in CA and drove it frequently. In my opinion, this was the best of all the E types ever built. It was the last with the covered headlamps, toggle switches on the dash, tail lights over the rear bumper, and no smog controls. It was a head turner...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010015.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	10466   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010016.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	10467  
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Great Laker wrote:
I owned this E type Series II for 40 years while living in CA and drove it frequently. In my opinion, this was the best of all the E types ever built. It was the last with the covered headlamps, toggle switches on the dash, tail lights over the rear bumper, and no smog controls. It was a head turner...
Compared to the E Type, the newer cars have the styling of a Mack truck.*
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #47

"Compared to the E Type, the newer cars have the styling of a Mack truck. "

There was something very seductive about these cars. My E Type had a 4.2 liter racing engine, tripple SU carbs, 4 speed stick with fully independent suspension and a deep throaty dual exhaust. The dash included a keyed ignition, but a push button start. You pushed the button and timed the release just as the engine came to life. What a thrill. No electic seats or windows and who cared. It was always satisfying just to know you could go out and take it for a spin. You sat low, cornered hard, and people looked with envy.*

One time on the way up to Marina Del Rey on the 405, a to die for blond pulled up beside me and motioned for me to follow her and get off on the next off ramp. That is a story for another time.*
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Great Laker wrote:

One time on the way up to Marina Del Rey on the 405, a to die for blond pulled up beside me and motioned for me to follow her and get off on the next off ramp. That is a story for another time.*
*Does anyone know where I can buy one of those E Types now? *I need it quickly. *Not much time left.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #49
FF
Guru

"I need it quickly. Not much time left."

Just purchase a photo , it will still be OK in the rain, unlike most cars with a Prince of Darkness electrical system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Not sure it would help Don! :no:
*dwhatty said it would, so there Mr. Smarty Pants.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #51
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
If we're breaching the subject of problems in the rain, or a cloudy day, let's not forget to include FIAT! Lucas did not have the totally exclusive hold on worthless systems. Had a brand new 124 Sport Coupe on a coast to coast trip. Even a hint of clouds and a spray of wire dry was needed. Sorry to even mention FIAT when we are talking Jags, but bad is bad.
*Carl,

Back on page one or two here is a qoute from me "For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy."

That was the electrical system in your Fiat, as well as the rest of the Italian cars until they got over being mad at the Germans and went to Bosch which fixed almost all of the problems Jag had*as well as some of the Italian cars.

A little known fact is that the Type I electronic*fuel injection system in VW and later in the 914 Porsche was originally developed by Bendix in this country and they could not get it to work.* Bosch bought the rights to the system and had it up and running a couple*years later.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #52
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
JD - I had a set of those Girling brakes on my trawler for a while - They were worthless, as you say! Got rid of them! :no:
Girling had high temp brake fluid before any of the US folks did.* The only problem I ever ran into that was a*PIA was their double cup calipers* on the rear of the E Jag.* The problem was that the pads were so hard that there was little wear*so little movement and up north in the snow with salt on the roads the calipers would freeze up.* The whole rear assembly had to come out to replace them.* On one car the customer did want to pay for the time required to remove the rear assembly so he cut holes in the body sheet metal removed the two calipers, brought them to me to rebuild*and then covered the holes with new sheet metal and sealed it with body mastic.** Worked fine but I couldn't do that to a customers Jag.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:Old Stone wrote:
JD - I had a set of those Girling brakes on my trawler for a while - They were worthless, as you say! Got rid of them! :no:
Girling had high temp brake fluid before any of the US folks did.* The only problem I ever ran into that was a*PIA was their double cup calipers* on the rear of the E Jag.* The problem was that the pads were so hard that there was little wear*so little movement and up north in the snow with salt on the roads the calipers would freeze up.* The whole rear assembly had to come out to replace them.* On one car the customer did want to pay for the time required to remove the rear assembly so he cut holes in the body sheet metal removed the two calipers, brought them to me to rebuild*and then covered the holes with new sheet metal and sealed it with body mastic.** Worked fine but I couldn't do that to a customers Jag.*

*My Jags had big drum brakes. *They excelled at locking up. *I found if you went into a curve too deeply with a little under steer, that the wire wheels could still spin with the brakes locked. *Bummer. *
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #54
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
Great Laker wrote:

*No love for the new XKR's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaguar-xkr-4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	10470  
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #55
Guru

How ofter do live aboard leave the dock

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:Great Laker wrote:

*No love for the new XKR's?

*I think that I wrote that remark. *The XKR had a good design going until they put that vertical chrome strip on the side of the front fender. *It looks like (are you ready for this?) the heat extractor on the side of a Mack Truck. *Then they added those awful bling wheels. *Here is a little something that seems to have followed the purity of design spirit except they are all into pimp wheels. *The 6 series BMW coupe that Marin drives is a good example of a classic, enduring design.

The XKR had a beautiful, curvacious design going. *Why they thought they would put an absolutely vertical piece of trim in the middle is a conundrum. *It in effect cuts the car into two sections. *I just don't get it.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 09:04:34 AM
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #56
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Agree 100% on the stupid chrome strip!* Blackening the wheels would be a big improvement.* And Jags should be in British Racing Green.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #57

City: Ft Lauderdale, Fl.
Vessel Name: Counterpoise
Vessel Model: 1980 Bristol 42 Trawler

Here in San Diego and when I was in Alameda, Ca. We loved taking our new toy out as much as possible.. In SF bay we were close to the open water from our marina, but WE made a mistake coming to the back bay of San Diego.. Lots of boat cops, lots of Military cops, coast guard and Navy traffic, so it's a hassle...Looking forward to a place where gunkholing will be a possibility, maybe Mexico somewhere..Oh and how many boats CANT leave the docks? We've our share here. Floating condos/hulks...
counterpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #58

"No love for the new XKR's?"

The manufacturer of an enduring classic should be immediately recognizable. This car could be from almost anyone... What a shame! *