Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
RE: How ofter do live aboard leave the dock

Great info. Have you thought about trading down to a smaller, less time consuming trawler?*** KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

When we retire hopefully in 3 years, we plan on heading north to Canada and Alaska for a couple of years and then maybe down the coast to warmer climate.*We are not planning on retire in the PNW as its to cold, cloud and damp and the US cost of living and medical is to darn high.*Also having lived on a boat we do not have very many processions, do not require to many creature comforts and/or that much space.* i don't think we could or want to live in a dirt*condo/house as they*have to much space.* ***

When we move off the Eagle we would probable sell the Eagle and keep the 19 ft run about for local lakes and Puget Sound.* Until the Eagle is sold I will probable moor it back on LakeUnion which is fresh water and has a better chance of selling.*Also take it to major boating events like Trawler Fest, and boat shows around Puget Sound.*

Until then we will remain*a dock queen and proud of it! **

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, especially the part about moving south to a warmer climate.* These old bones don't like the cold anymore.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: League City, TX
Vessel Model: Californian 30

I have only been living aboard for a year, so since this is still all new to me perhaps I have more motivation for it. But I have taken mine out at least twice a month since I bought it a year ago. I just go out for a few hours at a time though. Having most everything inside secured down or just not in a position to fall or shift around helps. Since mine is only 30ft and some people drive past our marina ignoring the slow wake signs, she tends to move around a lot so nothing gets left out.

When I decide to go it only takes me about 20 min to be ready to leave the dock, and most of that is while to motor is warming up.

Hopefully I will continue using her on a regular basis and eventually get to taking some long trips.
ERJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

We have belonged to the Roche Harbor Yacht Club since we bought our 38' tolly in about 2000. It is a reasonably priced cruising club with no clubhouse, several outstations and a "cruise" every month.
Makes a great excuse to take the boat out. We've made most of them
check them/us out at www.rhyc.org
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #26

We probably left the dock 15-20 times last year.....stay for 3 or 4 days out
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Since answering over a year ago, things have changed a bit with our plans to relocate to the Keys in the fall. Because of that, the anal part of me (that would be the larger part of me) will be taking runs every day this summer to (hopefully) shake out anything that could go wrong..........I know, it will anyhow............So the only real modification to be done, since most the the interior renovations are finished, is to Velcro the bottom of everything that moves. I love my dragons and cars and boat models and crap around (below), so won't have to think about them before casting off. I also am moving one slip over to the head slip, where I will have only one side to tie. Much easier to leave and return from, and gives the marina the ablilty to put two boats between fingers in my old space.

From the pics, as you can see, I am the boy who never grew up!
*Carl, is that an XK120 roadster? *Did you own a 120? *I owned a coupe. *If you love working on cars, they are the car for you. *Between Girling and Lucas I was kept quite busy.
Attached Images

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Old Stone wrote:
Since answering over a year ago, things have changed a bit with our plans to relocate to the Keys in the fall. Because of that, the anal part of me (that would be the larger part of me) will be taking runs every day this summer to (hopefully) shake out anything that could go wrong..........I know, it will anyhow............So the only real modification to be done, since most the the interior renovations are finished, is to Velcro the bottom of everything that moves. I love my dragons and cars and boat models and crap around (below), so won't have to think about them before casting off. I also am moving one slip over to the head slip, where I will have only one side to tie. Much easier to leave and return from, and gives the marina the ablilty to put two boats between fingers in my old space.

*Carl, is that an XK120 roadster? *Did you own a 120? *I owned a coupe. *If you love working on cars, they are the car for you. *Between Girling and Lucas I was kept quite busy.

Ah! I will always remember with such great fondness adjusting the valves on my 3.8S, outdoors, in the wintertime, in Boston, and dropping a camshaft timing chain bolt down into the innards of the beast. Not to mention those bloody tappet spacers.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
superdiver wrote:
It seems a common thread, that the longer you live aboard the less you take the boat out for enjoyment (not counting just moving from area to area...)? From what I have read here and from talking to others in our area on the subject at least...
*Carl, you ask a very tough question. *I would love to have either. *The E Type was such a fluid design with a modern suspension. *I would probably like to try one. *It was also a lot more civilized. *When I was dating my late wife, she would get headaches from the Abarth exhausts noise. *I rellished it, but have much deminished hearing today. *Couple that with being around construction equipment for over 40 years, and the ears have taken a beating.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:For you two only though - Which would you rather have right now - an XKE roadster, or the 120 - 150 series? The XKE was one of the most thrilling rides you could experience, but the older series was sooooooooo elegant! All previous Jag owners may step in on this one. No Fiat owners allowed!
Tough question here too. Unfortunately, at 6'4" I have trouble fitting in those cars (or at least that's my recollection as I haven't been invited to sit in one for at least 40 years). Interesting though that I had no trouble driving an AH Sprite that I had back in the 60's.

I actually think the Jag I would like to have right now, that I know I could fit in, would be a early 60's MK II sedan. Always liked the lines of those cars.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Old Stone wrote:

Ah! I will always remember with such great fondness adjusting the valves on my 3.8S, outdoors, in the wintertime, in Boston, and dropping a camshaft timing chain bolt down into the innards of the beast. Not to mention those bloody tappet spacers.

*Ah yes the tappet spacers.* Folks haven't lived unless they have done a valve adjustment with the box of spacers.* And then there was the trick of turning them over to get past the groves worn in them by the spring retainer when you didn't have the correct spacer needed.

How you get that little bolt out?

For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #32
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
JD wrote:For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.

Balanced your Stromberg's lately?*
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #33
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:JD wrote:For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.

Balanced your Stromberg's lately?*

SU's and Zenith Strombergs.* With the correct tool it was fairly simple.* The good old Uni syn.* I liked the SU's better than the Strombergs.* They were simpler than the Strombergs.* Actually used the Uni syn on Porsche quite a bit.* The old 356's had two two barrel Solex's, one on each bank and the 66*911 had two three barrel really simple Solex's one on each side.* Then it all went to hell and we got Weber's on both the 912 and the 911 and*911S hand Bosch mechanical injection.* That all changed by 72 when all Porsche's were injected with electronic fuel injection called the K type.* The Porsche engines had a way*better valve adjusting system than the JAG and even the*cam timing was a lot easier.*

Those were the days for sure.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Don - I forgot to ask - Is the 120 coupe in the picture the one you owned?Just beautiful!!!!!!!!

-- Edited by Old Stone on Monday 5th of March 2012 03:22:31 PM
*Yeah, it was a black coupe that was fitted out with polished wheels. *It was before we set it up for racing with no bumpers and "chicken wire" grill and stone guards over the head lights. *It was more car than I needed to drive at that point. *That was also before I stripped the splines on the front wheels braking so hard because I entered a curve too fast. *That was at Ocala I think. *When she was dressed up, she was a gorgeous car. *Loved the wire wheels, but they weren't great to race with. *Never should have started novice class with a car that powerful. *I started out running with the big guys after just a few classes. *Crazy.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
JD wrote:

As I recall, I think it involved having the car towed to my local private practice Jaguar mechanic (an automotive surgeon who would not operate on your engine unless the engine and engine compartment were spotless and the valve covers polished to a reflective shine. Hard to do with the typical, cleverly engineered, exterior self-oiling British car) and a rather convoluted process ending up with a dropped pan. A "simple" tuning procedure that turned expensive and time consuming due to the bumble fingered ineptitude of, well, me. Did I mention that British cars of that era were also cleverly engineered to shed sacrificial parts along the wayside?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:JD wrote:

As I recall, I think it involved having the car towed to my local private practice Jaguar mechanic (an automotive surgeon who would not operate on your engine unless the engine and engine compartment were spotless and the valve covers polished to a reflective shine. Hard to do with the typical, cleverly engineered, exterior self-oiling British car) and a rather convoluted process ending up with a dropped pan. A "simple" tuning procedure that turned expensive and time consuming due to the bumble fingered ineptitude of, well, me. Did I mention that British cars of that era were also cleverly engineered to shed sacrificial parts along the wayside?

*Yes, we too had one of those. *Waverly Denim at Classic Motor Car Service in Orlando. *Absolutely a pure snob. *However, he had all the little special tools to get the job done.

I miss my correspondence with the Jaguar factory in Coventry. *The letters would always come addressesd to Mr. Donald Moon, Esq. *Being a college student, this was heady stuff.

This is a photo of my Mark V drop head that Waverly called "the beast". *Also a little nostalgic racing day. If you look closely, you can see the '59 Tennessee license plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	don's day job.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	9711   Click image for larger version

Name:	don's mkv jag.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	10463  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Boy, you guys sure are bringing back some memories from the late 60s and early 70 for me. Best friend in college (66-70) had a 56 Jag. Sedan. what a great way to go from Seattle wa. to Pullman wa!
Later in life when my girlfriend, now my wife, needed a car, I bought her a 70s xj-6. Never buy your girlfriend a Jag!!! She won't be looking at chevys when she needs a newer car! Next one was a 91. I loved them both, but living aboard ya don't have a place to work on them so when it was time for the next car, she's driving a Suburu.

My junior year I bought a 63 mgb. Uni-sin!! and topping off the oil in those SU carbs! LOL After grad I lived in a house in the U-district in Seattle for a year. One of the guys had a Morgan. I rebuilt the tranny for the mg on my bedroom floor using "The complete MGB" shop manual.
"Lucas, the prince of Darkness" !!

Lotta fun times,
thanx for the memories
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:JD wrote:

*Yes, we too had one of those. *Waverly Denim at Classic Motor Car Service in Orlando. *Absolutely a pure snob. *However, he had all the little special tools to get the job done.

I miss my correspondence with the Jaguar factory in Coventry. *The letters would always come addressesd to Mr. Donald Moon, Esq. *Being a college student, this was heady stuff.

This is a photo of my Mark V drop head that Waverly called "the beast". *Also a little nostalgic racing day. If you look closely, you can see the '59 Tennessee license plate.

A good looking male friend of mine who had a "Big Healey" back in his, long ago, high hormone days was referred to, in later reminiscence by a former female admirer, as "That Hunk With the Healey". I was/am a bit envious of both him and the Healey. (He has now lowered himself to owning a late model Porsche 911).

From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"* but I am envious of your Jaguar(s).
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:M
From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"* but I am envious of your Jaguar(s).

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.* Suave, yes sir, absolutely sauve.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:M

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.* Suave, yes sir, absolutely sauve.

*"Au contraire?" you say? French, eh? You must have been one of those sauve Zouaves. The girls must have loved you in those pants. Nice color too.

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1093843&aBID=115492[/img]