Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
IMO the owners sr should not be in the bow and should have at least areal queen sized island bed
love my aft cabin and it comes with no water slap in the middle of the night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140322_121821.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	32649  

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
N4061

You mention never having used the second stateroom when you had one, so a one-stateroom boat should be fine. That said, I would also consider resale when making the choice. If a boat is 35' or less, I don't think prospective buyers will mind so much a one-stateroom boat - but if bigger, I think they would like to see more than just one stateroom. I know I would.
We looked at a very nice 40 Willard Pilothouse. Very well kept boat. Great price!

On this two stateroom model one of the staterooms had been converted to a utility room. Washer/dryer deep freeze, storage, etc... Very nicely done.

We passed on the boat because it only had one stateroom. The thought was that we don't have guests often but we weren't going to buy a bigger boat with LESS sleeping areas than our 28' boat which had a huge vee berth plus a regular stateroom.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
One of the few features that might make me consider another boat is a full-beam master, with room for a household (meaning regular dimensions, not boat shapes)queen-size adjustable "sleep #" bed or equivalent.

If we had to have a second stateroom because of the resulting boat's size, I guess we could live with it... and in that case, it'd probably be OK if it were an island queen in the bow.

But I think this isn't a question about the number of stateroom; it's more about your social preferences. If you like company, guest staterooms are probably useful. If you're like us, you go out of your way to avoid using the existing second stateroom. Others are maybe somewhere in the middle...

We do have a second stateroom now; I keep trying to think of some way to convert it to something useful... while at the same time, making it "returnable" to original in case some future buyer might actually want it as a guest stateroom.

And having a fold-out settee in the salon sucks, for us. Can't get around it, pain in the a$$... So that sees even less use as a temporary bed. In fact, we probably only keep it because I haven't shopped for replacement easy chairs yet. Think I've only sat on the thing 4-5 times in the last 9 years... Pain in the a$$...

-Chris
Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
Indeed, we added a full queenairadjustable mattress. admiral is happy so captain is happy.
No camping type creature comfort concessions.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
love my aft cabin and it comes with no water slap in the middle of the night.
My previous boat was a sedan type and had a bow owner SR. I always admired boats with aft OSR - so when I switched boats, that was a consideration and ended up with a GB36C, an aft-cabin boat.

Now, I very much miss the sedan layout, where the cockpit is, in a way, part of the saloon. It's nice when someone in the saloon could have a conversation with someone in the cockpit. It is also easier to go from the cockpit to the galley making important refills easier. Also missed greatly, is the ability to open a transom door and just step out into the swimstep then to the dinghy.

I would love to own a sedan type again. But this time, I would like the OSR to be midship, maybe under a raised pilothouse. Dreams are free.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
My previous boat was a sedan type and had a bow owner SR. I always admired boats with aft OSR - so when I switched boats, that was a consideration and ended up with a GB36C, an aft-cabin boat.

Now, I very much miss the sedan layout, where the cockpit is, in a way, part of the saloon. It's nice when someone in the saloon could have a conversation with someone in the cockpit. It is also easier to go from the cockpit to the galley making important refills easier. Also missed greatly, is the ability to open a transom door and just step out into the swimstep then to the dinghy.

I would love to own a sedan type again. But this time, I would like the OSR to be midship, maybe under a raised pilothouse. Dreams are free.
I too like the sedan layout, but hate sleeping in the bow of the boat. No charge for dreams!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
How about flexible space. The Krogens have a second stateroom set up like a den or office with pullman style bunks. I like it. Our boat has a side stateroom that I use as an office, or just a place to nap and read. It is nice to have two living spaces for a little separation. TV in the saloon---a quiet space to read and nap. Works for me. Very large staterooms and heads are nice, but really how much space does it take to sleep or----------never mind.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The best 2nd stateroom is the one where it's up in the motel/B&B and your slip is 1/2 price because your guests were so gracious to book that room.

And you get full use of the pool, spa, golf curse, etc...etc...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach
Vessel Name: Cool Beans
Vessel Model: 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Our boat is equipped to entertain 6 for happy hour, host 4 for dinner and sleep 2. This works great for us! .......... Guests are welcome to book a hotel.
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Same here, Beans.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:

It was for this very reason my wife demanded a sedan with aft cockpit, (although I was thinking tri-cabin up till then, but for us she was right), so we just waited and kept looking until we found one. However, we were limited to a 34 ft boat, but the saloon can sleep 4 if needed.

Fortunately, we don't mind a bit of wave slap, I find it soothing and reminds me we are actually on the water. Over our last Easter period when we were out, it was so calm at night it was eerie. No wavelets slapping - not even a gurgle occasionally.

I do admit to envying those with a queen double up front, and yes, if one could afford the larger boat, the bow and mid-ships staterooms, with full queen under the pilothouse would be ideal. But I would never sacrifice that roomy aft cockpit. Not for anything.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
One of the reason people go to flush deck MY's or "sundeck" boats is for the larger aft outdoor living space on the same level as the salon. The aft deck, which could be quite open to the fresh air, or enclosed in bad weather, is by far the most-used "room" on our old Hatteras and its many siblings, as it is on most of the sundeck boats we've seen. Great for entertaining. This allows a nice square aft MSR. If length is no issue, get one with a cockpit too. Hatteras for instance offered them with or without, so did some models of Defever, such as the 44/ 44+5.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #33
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We can entertain 8, sleep 5, and more if needed on settees which are are very comfortable.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #34
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
You mention never having used the second stateroom when you had one, so a one-stateroom boat should be fine. That said, I would also consider resale when making the choice. If a boat is 35' or less, I don't think prospective buyers will mind so much a one-stateroom boat - but if bigger, I think they would like to see more than just one stateroom. I know I would.
Depending upon how long you intend to keep the vessel, if it is long term I would not be at all concerned with the next owner. This boat is for you (N4061) so make her yours.

Because guests were not a factor previously N4061, I doubt you'll suddenly switch into being boat-overnight-host-of-the-year. It's not in you so go with what pleases you most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Really, it depends on your needs, not somebody else's needs. If you often have more than two people aboard you would want sleeping quarters for them. That might mean buying a larger boat.
When it is an occasional guest, I see no need to go to extraordinary lengths. I am of course presuming any guest coming to the boat is there to see YOU, and not because you provide spectacular overnight accommodations.

Even on Seaweed I've had overnight guests -- albeit other boaters so the standard is a bit lower mind you than those familiar with the Ritz. The dinette lowers and the cushions move around. Not perfect but then again, it's good enough.

In my view of course.

Mother always used to say "The ideal boat sleeps two, feeds four and drinks six." She was right.

However N4061, if your better half wants that spare cabin for any reason you must remember just one thing Jeff Allen says: "Happy wife, happy life."

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #35

To not worry about resale on what I assume to be a high six-figure to maybe even seven figures is too rich for my comprehension regardless of how long the boat is kept. Unless one is very wealthy which the OP here has mentioned in the past more than once that he isn't.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #36

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
One of the reason people go to flush deck MY's or "sundeck" boats is for the larger aft outdoor living space on the same level as the salon. The aft deck, which could be quite open to the fresh air, or enclosed in bad weather, is by far the most-used "room" on our old Hatteras and its many siblings, as it is on most of the sundeck boats we've seen. Great for entertaining. This allows a nice square aft MSR. If length is no issue, get one with a cockpit too. Hatteras for instance offered them with or without, so did some models of Defever, such as the 44/ 44+5.
I have to agree George. The main reason for us getting the Californian is because of the aft deck. I was really looking for something no bigger than 45 tops but once the admiral saw the massive back deck and how roomy the salon was there was no going back.

We have slept eight on our boat one weekend, I can accommodate 10 if I drop the dinette, more if they want to sleep on the bridge or aft deck. I don't think I would do that for more than one night though. Four is extremely comfortable and if we have 6, each couple has a stateroom and their own head.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I'm not so sure the single stateroom is a resale killer or even negative. He's not the only one who that might fit and while many would say no to it, then it might be the boat to excite another buyer. We lived in NC and everyone said, no home without 3 bedrooms will sell. Well, we bought a home on the lake, Turned it from 3 bedrooms to 2, enlarging the master suite significantly and enlarging the bath and closets. When we got ready to sell it, in a down market, we had an offer within 3 days of listing and a backup offer as well. The first offer did go through and we closed in less than 30 days. They loved the huge master and had no use for a third bedroom.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A single stateroom 40'er would be our ideal boat, but we are decidedly minimalist by nature. I would assume a single stateroom vessel would have copious amounts of proper storage. We will also downsize house soon too a custom built 2 bedroom and no more than 1,000 square feet perhaps offering insight behind our choices.

Janice really nailed it though, if you haven't used your second stateroom for guests to this point don't expect to suddenly start now. The whole point of a new build is to get the exact boat you want.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
Guru

Some great debate, thanks. For those who disagree with a one bedroom concept I will counter with a design that does take into consider the "less than 10% of the time" when we may have an overnight guest and "resale". The salon on the boat is an open design and large (within perspective) with galley. We have a day head off the salon which allows for the guests who would sleep on the very large sofa (playpen when ottomans are added) to have complete privacy to their own head. The pilothouse separates the guests from the OSR. In my simple opinion it is the maximum use of limited space aboard a boat. One can even add a curtain around the sofa area and day head for maximum privacy.

OK, I'm ready for the comments!

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Some great debate, thanks. For those who disagree with a one bedroom concept I will counter with a design that does take into consider the "less than 10% of the time" when we may have an overnight guest and "resale". The salon on the boat is an open design and large (within perspective) with galley. We have a day head off the salon which allows for the guests who would sleep on the very large sofa (playpen when ottomans are added) to have complete privacy to their own head. The pilothouse separates the guests from the OSR. In my simple opinion it is the maximum use of limited space aboard a boat. One can even add a curtain around the sofa area and day head for maximum privacy.

OK, I'm ready for the comments!

John
Love it.

Sounds like it meets your purposes very well. I do believe in buying or building to one's own needs, not that of others. In every boat we've looked at where they was a choice of x staterooms or x+1 (regardless of whether x is 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5), we've always liked the fewer staterooms better. The main place people seem to just put as many staterooms as possible is charter boats. Charterers always go for as many as possible.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote