Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #1

City: Los Angeles
How to dry the air

I just purchased a 42 ft trawler that I will be living on in Southern Ca (Oxnard). I noticed that the previous owner has number of different "bags" and small plastic containers holding moisture absorbing chemicals of some sort. What is the best way to control the humidity on the water?

Also, I have a "non-stainless" 9mm pistol and a 12 ga shotgun that I will store on the boat. Is there a good way to store these firearms so they don't corrode from the salt air?

mikekomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I currently use the little plastic buckets of absorbent material too and would be interested in a better way myself. As for the firearms I prefer routine old school maintenance with plenty of oil in a soft case. Mine are lamb skin wool lined.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
If you can put the items in a sealed locker, then a bag of adsorbent will do a decent job of drying out the area. Better though to wrap the items in plastic, drop in a bag of adsorbent and seal the bag.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
FF
Guru

A de humidifier , over the sink , operating 24/7 works.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The way to keep the air dry is simple.

Ventilation

Anything else you do is just making up for poor ventilation.

There are allot of methods to ventilate a boat. In some locations the little sun powered units work.

In other locations passive ventilation works.

On our boats I've found that I like power ventilation. Vetus makes a really nice power ventilator for a boat. Costs <$100 and draws if I remember right something like 50 miliamps. A couple of these in the right place will do the trick.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Ventilation

There are allot of methods to ventilate a boat. In some locations the little sun powered units work.

On our boats I've found that I like power ventilation. Vetus makes a really nice power ventilator for a boat. Costs <$100 and draws if I remember right something like 50 miliamps. A couple of these in the right place will do the trick.

Read "The warm dry boat", everything you need to know about ventilation.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
DRI-Z-AIRŪ DEHUMIDIFIER - MOISTURE ABSORBER - MADE IN THE USA

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomm View Post
Also, I have a "non-stainless" 9mm pistol and a 12 ga shotgun that I will store on the boat. Is there a good way to store these firearms so they don't corrode from the salt air?

Clean them well and make sure everything has a light coat of CLP on it.

As for storage, you can use anything from a $10 SackUps or Bore Stores silicone impregnated gun sock to a $200 Pelican waterproof case.

There's also a company called "Inhibitor" (theinhibitor.com) that specializes in this sort of thing and has what are supposed to be really good chemicals and storage solutions, but I've never used them personally.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I bought one of those little Evadry dehumidifiers this fall and it works great. Yes, I have read "A warm dry boat", a few times (our local library has a copy) but the dehumidifier has worked better for me this winter than ventilation has in the past.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I bought one of those little Evadry dehumidifiers this fall and it works great. Yes, I have read "A warm dry boat", a few times (our local library has a copy) but the dehumidifier has worked better for me this winter than ventilation has in the past.
The Eva-Dry 2200 worked well for us also. We left the boat in FL for 1 month plus last August. Came back and everything was dry and no mold or mildew. We modified the reservoir so it would drain into the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	27036   Click image for larger version

Name:	108a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	27037  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Anything above 60% relative humidity will breed mold. It really depends on where you are and what the RH is in the air. Sometimes the RH can be so high that introducing it into your environment is not only bad but your asking for trouble if you have non moving air. There are several things I would suggest, I have dealt with a mold remediation in a basement once and don't ever want to go through that again. After having conversation with a micro biologist about the presence of mold and how to avoid having it in my living situation here is what we came up with. Very simple and will always keep mold at bay,
1. If there is mold present you need to clean it up. Wear a mask and clean with bleach. Google how to properly clean up mold. There are several methods but best is a mild solution of bleach 1 cup to say a gallon will more than work. (Probably over kill but it's mold)
2. Purchase a RH meter at your local hardware store and monitor. Often RH meters are built into the nicer temp indoor outdoor gauges. I have one and monitor it several times a week.
3. Move the air - simple mold won't establish itself if it's moving. Mold is always present in the air. It's warm, stale air that allows it to establish.
I have five fans in my boat. A few pancake dehumidifiers a couple of chemical dehumidifiers and three 4" fans.
If your RH is above 60% or higher you need a dehumidifier, try a few pancakes if that doesn't work then get a small one that can drain directly into your sink and run it. Make sure to buy a few fans so all the air is circulating and being adjusted to your RH levels. I usually like about 40-45%. To dry and you risk damaging your wood and health.
Also - be very careful with the chemical dryers the water collected from them can be corrosive (dispose properly).
Also one of the projects this summer is to repaint the interior cabinets as there was mold present from the PO. I cleaned and now keep the drawers open when away from the boat. Repaint with a bilge paint that has a built in mildicide. No worries if I continue with my current practices.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have a portable By Arrow Pneumatics it has a drain so I sit it over the galleysink, I got it about 10 years ago. I had to have a local A/C guy service it 4 years ago.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #13

Love the EVA dry! that is a great mod - I think I am going to partake your solution for long term draining is great!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #14

Awesome they even have a 12v for the Eva
Eva-Dry 2200 Electric Dehumidifier
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
When looking for a dehumidifier be aware of the temperature you will operate the unit in. Most dehumidifiers will quit working at around 65 F. There are dehumidifiers that will go down to 45 - 50 F and are usually called Basement Dehumidifiers. This is what I have in my boat here in the PNW.

When we used to live on our Defever 45 in the Seattle area, the dehumidifier made a world of difference in livability. Before the dehumidifier I was constantly wiping the moisture off the glass after cooking or even breathing in the winter. After the dehumidifier this problem went away.

I've suggested this to every liveaboard I know and those that followed my advice where surprised at the difference in livability.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Love the EVA dry! that is a great mod - I think I am going to partake your solution for long term draining is great!
Did the same mod, highly recommended. Mine was filling up in a few days otherwise.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #17

Which model of the EVA is that? Have you experienced the same problem with it shutting down due to temp? I usually like to keep my boat about 50 when I am not in it.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
TF Site Team

ys, all this talk about mold high humidity and the like is great, but the simple fact is that mold will not grow in places with good ventilation.

Just because you have high humidity, does not mean you'll have mold.

In Seward Alaska, we have similar weather to the greater Seattle area, it just rains more.

Its simple, keep your boat well ventilated, and you will not get mold problems. Your boat will always smell and feel fresh, because its filled with fresh air.

Do not ventilate and you'll need to get the humidity down to a point where mold growth is not possible, but you'll still have a boat filled with stagnant air.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Ventilation

If you live in a very humid area, ventilation just replaces humid air with more humid air. Many marine AC units have a dehumidify setting and that's what I use. Other than that, a separate dehumidifier would seem to be the best solution.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you live in a very humid area, ventilation just replaces humid air with more humid air. Many marine AC units have a dehumidify setting and that's what I use. Other than that, a separate dehumidifier would seem to be the best solution.
Southcentral Alaska is as humid as it gets.

Replace humid stagnant air with humid fresh air and no mold grows.

People would rather, it seems to jump through all kinds of hoops, when ventilation solves all the problems.

www.mvlisasway.com