Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #101
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Words from my Grandpa Max
Fun cost $$, better pay up while you can!
But don't buy so much that cant afford some fun later in life!
"Fun cost $$, better pay up while you can!
But don't buy so much that cant afford some fun later in life!"

Great quote - thank you
The only purpose for money is to spend it so better to plan what to do with it that will be worthwhile in your views.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #102
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We have a small group here today, but tomorrow we'll have 25 or so over for a cookout. I don't even know how many.
I don't even know 25 people.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #103

City: Millport
Vessel Name: Alchemy
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Trawler
for what its worth. i am buying an Albin. To help buy it i am refinancing my home at a lower rate. my new mortgage payments will be just a little more. i am doubling my principal from $39K to $80K. i will have a house worth nearly $200K and a 40 foot Trawler second home and payments will be $800 bucks a month. Cash into this will be about $40K. Most acquisitions require some cash. my deal is no exception. i did not see any prior posts bring in the cash and addition to debt aspect. From my perspective having two homes, one that provides access to the world for a combined mortgage payment of $800 at 2.9% interest is a clear cut ---- Yea, baby.
Zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #104
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoar View Post
for what its worth. i am buying an Albin. To help buy it i am refinancing my home at a lower rate. my new mortgage payments will be just a little more. i am doubling my principal from $39K to $80K. i will have a house worth nearly $200K and a 40 foot Trawler second home and payments will be $800 bucks a month. Cash into this will be about $40K. Most acquisitions require some cash. my deal is no exception. i did not see any prior posts bring in the cash and addition to debt aspect. From my perspective having two homes, one that provides access to the world for a combined mortgage payment of $800 at 2.9% interest is a clear cut ---- Yea, baby.
That's all well and good, but a boat is a depreciating asset and will this deal let you afford the maintenance, upkeep, operating costs, etc. that go with having a boat?

Having a boat and a house is not really the same as having two houses. I'm guessing that the monthly operating costs for "access to the world" is going to be a lot more than your mortgage payment.

If refinancing and taking equity money out resets or extends the mortgage period, are you really saving any money once you figure the interest costs?
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #105
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
That's all well and good, but a boat is a depreciating asset and will this deal let you afford the maintenance, upkeep, operating costs, etc. that go with having a boat?

Having a boat and a house is not really the same as having two houses. I'm guessing that the monthly operating costs for "access to the world" is going to be a lot more than your mortgage payment.

If refinancing and taking equity money out resets or extends the mortgage period, are you really saving any money once you figure the interest costs?
all I saw was 120k equity left in house, and a debt free boat currently valued at $40k. Yea, baby
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #106
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My boat's maintenance, taxes, berthing, and insurance exceeds the cost of my modest "dirt" home. Both are clear of any lien or mortgage. While the home will maintain its value, the boat won't. It is a toy, after all.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:27 AM   #107

Yes, insurance, dockage, maintenance will exceed the portion attributed to acquiring the boat from the $800 monthly mortgage payment. And yes i can afford and have budgeted monthly money for these operational costs. My point was it can be achieved and no the boat is not worth $40K. The math is --- 40K in cash plus $40K financed equals $80K. There will still be $120K in equity in the house and the boat, yes, we all get it that it is a depeciating asset, will be a Trawler, one can live aboard for some months of the year, as an alternative to a second home. And yes it provides access that a conventional second home does not. And i ceryainly hope no one constued that i said a boat IS JUST LIKE a second home. i did not. However, as an alternative to getting a second home, the liveaboard boat is an attractive alternative for me, and i do not think i am the only person on the planet that can use a liveaboard as a creative and reourceful and economically viable place to live for a few months of the year. yes even as it depreciates.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post

Actually I am DECREASING the terms of payment. I had 14 years left on my OLD mortgage while the REFI is for only 10 years, so I wll actually pay less in interest.... Moreover that is even if I take the REFI to full term. And, as indicated my new total debt (allowing me to have a home and a liveaboard trawler) will be $80K. I hope and intend to actually pay this $80K mortgage off with 2 years. (I am working on some business deals that will allow me to pay this off). Thus I will be mortgage free within 2 years. Then my expenses will be---taxes on the house, marina fees on the boat, insurances on BOTH, maintenance on BOTH and other operating expenses.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #109
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Ths is why my mantra is "it depends"....

Not all posts contain all the info up front or even through a long thread.

A short term mortgage that one plans to pay off early or is so small as to not really affect total available capital for enjoying life...well...that's different than a long term mortgage on a depreciating asset that is a big chunk of ones assets.

Thats why I never get nto the "meat" of a financing discussion as there always seems to be "more to the story" than one can definitively give good advice on. Sure general advice...but it may not apply at all in a specific case.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Actually I am DECREASING the terms of payment. I had 14 years left on my OLD mortgage while the REFI is for only 10 years, so I wll actually pay less in interest.... Moreover that is even if I take the REFI to full term. And, as indicated my new total debt (allowing me to have a home and a liveaboard trawler) will be $80K. I hope and intend to actually pay this $80K mortgage off with 2 years. (I am working on some business deals that will allow me to pay this off). Thus I will be mortgage free within 2 years. Then my expenses will be---taxes on the house, marina fees on the boat, insurances on BOTH, maintenance on BOTH and other operating expenses.
Enjoy your boat!

If you did not finance your boat you would be sitting behind your keyboard wishing you had a boat.

Most folks cannot just write checks in the tens of thousands of dollar ranges until they have decades of life under their belt, many decades.

We all know that financially it would be “best” not to pay interest, as it’s an expense. The cost of renting/borrowing money.

The challenge is that most people do not have the patience to wait on the sidelines the time required to save for the things they want.

So... We rent money, and pay a fee for that.

What we get in return is the enjoyment of using the “thing” while we are repaying the rented money.

The folks that save up do not have the rental fee on the money, but they do not get the enjoyment either.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Enjoy your boat!

If you did not finance your boat you would be sitting behind your keyboard wishing you had a boat.

Most folks cannot just write checks in the tens of thousands of dollar ranges until they have decades of life under their belt, many decades.
Indeed, getting in a boat is a life changer.

Regarding many decades, yea, that is the benefit of getting "old... There has to be some benefit, right?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Indeed, getting in a boat is a life changer.

Regarding many decades, yea, that is the benefit of getting "old... There has to be some benefit, right?
Yep, net worth is acquired over long decades of life.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yep, net worth is acquired over long decades of life.
I rather wish it was linear. In my experience it has been more UP and DOWN. And now about to go UP. Again. Yet I also know it can go the other way, without much notice.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #114
Guru

My boat is financed, my condo is paid for.
If my finance company takes the boat back, my condo is still paid for.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #115
Veteran Member

City: washington DC
Vessel Name: La Barca Beulah
Vessel Model: DeFever 44 OC
This is a great thread and an enjoyable read of everyone's perspective. Jovial Cynic, if you're supplanting a mortgage payment for a boat payment and can afford the extra money associated w/ maintenance & slip fees in your 40s, why not? If you're able to continue to invest in your retirement w/ potentially decades left in investing, it doesn't appear to be that you would be that much further ahead or behind. So then the choice is whether the additional costs are worth the additional pleasures of truly living the boating lifestyle.

We hem-haw over a similar decision. I am the boater, my entire adult life (mid 50s now). She loves the water (but not boating) and would be willing to live on a trawler but would have to be something higher end. We're struggling w/ this as I'm not sure if the price of a higher end trawler is a worthwhile investment as essentially a floating condo.

Vicariously though- if my spouse were an adamant boater and loved the lifestyle, then this would be a no-brainer decision for us. Food for thought?
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsailor View Post
Vicariously though- if my spouse were an adamant boater and loved the lifestyle, then this would be a no-brainer decision for us. Food for thought?
She's a keeper. SMILE
Old 11-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #117
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I’m going to weigh in on this subject. For the past few years I have been considering moving onto a boat as my full time residence. It has been a dream of mine.

My current boat, a 36’, 44’ OAL, and is comfortably fit. However, I would not be comfortable living full time on her, so I would look for a larger vessel.

When it came right down to it, I have looked at new boats and new homes. I have decided to keep Southerly and use her for continued jaunts to the Bahamas and up and down the coast.

I am in the process of selling my home, building a new one and using my boat as a weekend/vacation getaway. It was a really hard decision.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #118
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I’m going to weigh in on this subject. For the past few years I have been considering moving onto a boat as my full time residence. It has been a dream of mine.

My current boat, a 36’, 44’ OAL, and is comfortably fit. However, I would not be comfortable living full time on her, so I would look for a larger vessel.

When it came right down to it, I have looked at new boats and new homes. I have decided to keep Southerly and use her for continued jaunts to the Bahamas and up and down the coast.

I am in the process of selling my home, building a new one and using my boat as a weekend/vacation getaway. It was a really hard decision.

Mine is a 40’ with about 500 square feet of living space plus the space under canvas compared to 2500 sq ft our home provides. For us, no way could we live comfortably on it. A boat large enough to live comfortably on would be unaffordable for us when dockage, maintenance and storage are considered. Also around here slips for boats larger than about 45’ are few in numbers.

Your choice to build a new home over getting a larger boat is in my opinion much better way to go.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #119
Guru

A house has one distinctive disadvantage, someone has to watch it when you are not there.
One advantage, the house appreciates whilst a boat depreciates. Let's hope one offsets the other.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

My opinion is that for a single person and some couples a boat if its large enough can make a very comfortable home.

I could live on my boat as my only home, and actually stay on it about a third of the time right now. My wife not so much. She likes more space, but has yet to experience the amenities of a nice marina either.

If a boat does not make a great primary home for all, it certainly makes a Great second home for almost anyone that likes the water.

All of my quickly retiring neighbors in Alaska have second homes someplace warmer.

I have a boat as a second home. That second home can go anywhere I feel like parking it, and it can be moved with the turn of a key and the casting off of a few lines.

San Diego
Mexico
the PACNW
Cali Delta

All inviting places

To me that is the advantage of a boat as a home, over a dirt home. Either as a primary residence or a second home. The ability to move it at will.