Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Guru

Holiday Weekends

While this may not come as a surprise to most live aboards I thought it was worth posting if for nothing else to remind those who did live aboard one of the advantages of this great life style. For the past 30 years Mary and I would normally stay away from the water on the three major summer holidays for the obvious reasons "crowds". Once we started to live aboard (part time) we really came to appreciate the ability to still spend time on the boat without having to venture out on the water if we didn't care to do so. Watching or participating in all the weekend celebrations at the docks was enough for us. So was the having the option of not feeling as though we needed to hurry to the boat to enjoy the time off work. Living aboard (part time) affords us the option of leaving or returning to the boat any time you want without feeling you missed out. Again this is nothing new or special to most people but rather a gentle reminder for those considering this great life style.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
While this may not come as a surprise to most live aboards I thought it was worth posting if for nothing else to remind those who did live aboard one of the advantages of this great life style.
Yep. And if you're retired and live aboard full time, every day is a holiday. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
While this may not come as a surprise to most live aboards I thought it was worth posting if for nothing else to remind those who did live aboard one of the advantages of this great life style. For the past 30 years Mary and I would normally stay away from the water on the three major summer holidays for the obvious reasons "crowds". Once we started to live aboard (part time) we really came to appreciate the ability to still spend time on the boat without having to venture out on the water if we didn't care to do so. Watching or participating in all the weekend celebrations at the docks was enough for us. So was the having the option of not feeling as though we needed to hurry to the boat to enjoy the time off work. Living aboard (part time) affords us the option of leaving or returning to the boat any time you want without feeling you missed out. Again this is nothing new or special to most people but rather a gentle reminder for those considering this great life style.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
Amen, John.

I have never been a great lover of any downtown/city areas- suburban or rural are more my cup of tea. I could stand to transit to a city, but close to live away from the madness.

When I became a liveaboard, I took a slip all of 100 steps from my office in Seattle. My demeanor changed- now holidays and all other days were great, because of being on the water. Now, being in the city is much different, as the world changes when in get on the dock and onto the boat. We can walk to great restaurants, various markets, or around the lake and not worry about traffic, one way streets, etc.

It's been 5 years, and the love affair has not ceased.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Summer live aboard

Just like to put my 2 cents worth into this discussion. We have lived on our AT 435 and now AT485 for the last 8 summers and love the ability to stay or go depending on our whim. Summer evening on the dock are wonderfully social with all the comings and goings. When we decide we have had enough of the visiting there is always a nice anchorage to be explored.

Shawn
Salish Lady
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: colorado springs
Vessel Name: LA RUCA
Trying to live that dream part time, but the repairs to get the mainship seaworthy has been a bit much. The waste tank is my next repair, custom made tanks are expensive. Any ideas or advice would help
Sincerely
Marty
sabaru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaru350 View Post
Trying to live that dream part time, but the repairs to get the mainship seaworthy has been a bit much. The waste tank is my next repair, custom made tanks are expensive. Any ideas or advice would help
Sincerely
Marty

These folks may have a standard size holding tank to fit your needs without need for a custom build. Roto molded polyethelene is probably the best material for the job.

Marine and RV Tanks
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote