Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #21

City: Stockton, CA
No you're not crazy. We live full time on a GB 48 and have been for the last 4 years. Lots of room and well built boats. We moved ours to California and despite the crazy politics, really enjoy the adventure. We keeps ours in a covered slip and I would recommend that as well in the NW if you can find a suitable slip. I'd say if its something you want to do, do it while you can.

Noreej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #22

City: Vancouver
Thanks Bear Spirit,
Heating was my next concern especially as we are looking out the window at a bit of snow right now... The 46 we are looking at closely now does have Diesel Hydronic Heating and i was wondering how that would hold up in this sort of weather. Anyone have experience with these units in these conditions?

yvr2ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #23

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Aleutian
You bring up an interesting question of “no liveaboards”. We have found that to be more a discriminator of who they accept at a marina than any flat rule.

First, if your boat is presentable you have gone a long way towards acceptability. There also seems to be a symantic difference between liveaboard and crew. Lastly, extended stays seem accepatble as a transient implying as a livaboard you will never move your boat or ever leave.

My wife and I (crew) have stayed at a number of “no liveaboard” marinas for up to four months at a time all with invitations to stay longer.

Bottom line is don’t assume “no liveaboards” mean “no liveaboards”. Discuss your plans with the marina as a crew wanting an extended transient berth. You might be surprised that the “no liveaboard’ moniker does not now include you.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #24

City: Gibsons
Two comments, please
Get on the wait-list at Spruce Harbour, False Creek South. Designed originally for liveaboards.
Unless you really like bright-work work (I meant that), pick an alternative that is easier to maintain.
(Have a look at an Eagle Transpac 40. With a 14'9" beam it has lots of space. There is one for sale at Grand Yachts. And, yes, it does currently belong to a friend....)
Happy hunting (boat and berth)!
NornaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #25

City: Vancouver, BC
YVR2AMS, I have a friend who lives aboard at Richmond Yacht Club, Middle Arm of Fraser River near YVR. They usually don't allow live aboards but he is sort of a night watchman for them. He would be a good guy to talk with and I could set that up with you. Shelter Island has some live aboards. A guy there builds boat sheds with an apartment on one end. They have moorage for them also under the Alex Fraser Bridge. False Creek has some live aboards, but a waiting list (when I had last checked it) unless you buy your boat with "grandfathered" moorage. Let us know what you decide.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #26

City: Pender Harbour BC
Vessel Name: LaVida
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks MY 48.5'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
As long as it has a good heating system. Should have all the room you could possibly need. Have fun.
Installed a 60k BTU Hurricane Heater on my 48 Foot wooden GB last year. Makes ALL the difference in the world keeping lower berths dry and warm. Not only for winter cruising but summer evenings in the Broughtons!
lavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #27

City: Pender Harbour BC
Vessel Name: LaVida
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks MY 48.5'
Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
You bring up an interesting question of “no liveaboards”. We have found that to be more a discriminator of who they accept at a marina than any flat rule.

First, if your boat is presentable you have gone a long way towards acceptability. There also seems to be a symantic difference between liveaboard and crew. Lastly, extended stays seem accepatble as a transient implying as a livaboard you will never move your boat or ever leave.

My wife and I (crew) have stayed at a number of “no liveaboard” marinas for up to four months at a time all with invitations to stay longer.

Bottom line is don’t assume “no liveaboards” mean “no liveaboards”. Discuss your plans with the marina as a crew wanting an extended transient berth. You might be surprised that the “no liveaboard’ moniker does not now include you.
Some seasonally busy marinas further north are delighted to have semi-permanent moorage customers. Their summer transient business is vital for revenue but empty berths in winter are offered at discounts. Just need to ask.
lavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #28

City: Copenhagen
We (Jim 67 and semi-retired, Sidse 54 and very un-retired!) on a 44 foot Marine Trader in Copenhagen Denmark, year round. Same type of humid/cold climate (ok, maybe a little warmer) that you will experience. Get a good heating system (Webasto, Eberspacher and similar are definitely not up to the job) - you need a hydronic system similar to a residential central heating setup - Kabola and Maritime Booster are both up to the job and can be combined with hot air blowers and radiators as you wish. Buy good dehumidifiers to keep everything copacetic, make sure you have a great galley (food is important) and insulate wherever you can. The remaining 6 months of the year are pure magic!
Jim/Sidse - Denmark
Jimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavida View Post
Installed a 60k BTU Hurricane Heater on my 48 Foot wooden GB last year. Makes ALL the difference in the world keeping lower berths dry and warm. Not only for winter cruising but summer evenings in the Broughtons!
That is a large heater for a boat! I presume it is oil fired, how often do you have to refuel and what capacity? Yes indeed, you should be very comfortable with that heating system. Good for you
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #30

City: Ramsgate,
Live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Absolutely go for it. Hey, if you don’t like it move back ashore. Don’t let everyone rain on your parade. My only caution would make sure you can sit comfortably in the built-in furniture for long periods of time. My wife and I both have back trouble and cannot sit in built in furniture for any amount of time. Most GBs have built in furniture which immediately eliminated them as a possible boat for us.
On my trawler yacht, 43ft, I have taken out a piece of the fixed furniture and bought 2 armchairs which have made so much difference to the way that we enjoy the boat.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #31

City: Victoria
And let’s not forget sewage. Apart from permanent houseboat type moorage, few slips come with sewage hookups. Relying on washrooms in your marina can get old fast. A large capacity holding tank is a good thing.
BillYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #32

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Our Hurricane heater is 65K BTU. How well it heats your boat depends a lot on how well the installation was thought out. You need to have heat outlets spread out thru out the boat. We have 3 separate zones we can heat and each is controlled by it's own thermostat. So we can heat the salon/wheel house area, the master stateroom/ master head area/ the guest stateroom/guest head, or the whole boat. Today it is snowing and has been in the lower teens all week but we can keep the boat at 70 degrees if we want to.
Having hot water running thru lines that are routed thru lockers and under floors also will add a little heat to those areas. It would be more except all our lines have insulation on them to help keep the water hot while it is being pumped thru out the boat.

Also with hydronic heat you can plumb it into the hot water tank so you can heat your domestic water. Also it is plumbed into both main engines to keep them warm. Right now it is probably 60 degrees in the engine room, and nice and dry.

It uses 0.45 gallons per hour of diesel fuel and is plumbed into the main tanks for the boat, in our case we hold 1000 gallons of fuel.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
A properly sized diesel hydronic heater will cook you right out of the boat, even on the coldest days here in the NW. while espar and webasto are not my favorite from a maintenance stand point, they do make plenty of heat. This week end my heat pumps just couldn’t keep up with the cold and the wind. I ran the hurricane all weekend and kept the boat a balmy 74 degrees. Today temps are back to 32 degrees and no wind so I am back to the heat pumps. If I only had one source of heat it would be a diesel hydronic system.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #34

City: Bellingham, WA
GB 46 Liveaboard

The writer above gives good advice. Call Scott Blake at NW Explorations in Bellingham. He and partner lived aboard 46's here for a considerable time; in addition, he's the GB guru in these parts. (360) 676-1248.

BTW, the "high maintenance" comment probably refers to teak, but if you're a liveaboard, that's no big deal, a DIY project that you can take pride in.
chartervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartervet View Post
The writer above gives good advice. Call Scott Blake at NW Explorations in Bellingham. He and partner lived aboard 46's here for a considerable time; in addition, he's the GB guru in these parts. (360) 676-1248.

BTW, the "high maintenance" comment probably refers to teak, but if you're a liveaboard, that's no big deal, a DIY project that you can take pride in.
Wifey B: A bit like polishing the silverware to some. We were friends with an 80+ year old woman and she delighted still in sitting with her housekeeper and polishing all the silverware and she had tons of it. She found great pleasure in it though and found it to be a true statement of refinement and grace in entertaining.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #36
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
+1 on Chartervet's endorsement of Scott Blake at NWX. Very knowledgeable on GB's and a no-BS kind of guy.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #37
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Have another comment to add, I am currently recaulking and refinishing my teak deck. What a miserable job. I have reefed out 600’ of caulk, sanded the joints and am now sanding the very thick buildup of varnish on the teak. Never again will I do this and I love working on my boat. My back and knees will need a long time to recover from this abuse. If you are looking at Grand Banks with teak decks, I would recommend having a lot of money to pay someone to do this work if needed, or be young so your back and knees won’t hurt so bad. Something to think about when buying a boat with a lot of teak. Fortunately my boat only has teak decks on the sundeck and not all over.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Are we crazy

I have a 1984 GB 36 Classic. They are great boats but they require constant attention and a lot of care and upkeep, and you are looking at a big one. The older models also require a lot of refit and replacement but that's true of all older boats. One thing I would consider, if it hasn't already been done, is to remove the teak decks and glass and paint the deck. Mine was done that way and it saves a lot of headaches and work. I know a lot of GB owners look at this as heresy but trust me, you will have enough to keep you busy without leaky teak decks to maintain. Just my opinion. Having said all of that, I love our GB. We are going to Singapore this Spring (where ours was built) and then taking a day trip up into Malaysia to visit the current yard for a tour.
Sorry, I can't speak to the live aboard situation there but it's getting harder and harder to find marinas here in the states that allow live aboard as well. Good luck.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Crazy? On a 46 foot Grand Banks?? Gosh,no! I've been living fulltime on my Camano 31 since last October.

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #40
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Just completed upgrades and repairs to Magic. Among the upgrades we have removed all teak handrails and replaced with stainless steel. We also removed the teak decks, other than the cockpit and fly bridge and had them glassed and coated with non-skid using all materials and colors/patterns supplied by Grand Banks. All the work was done by Grand Banks at their new headquarters and service facility in Stuart FL. Soon Magic will be for sale as we plan to go bigger to suit our growing flock of grand kids. Stay tuned.

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote