Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Gradually preparing to take the Plunge

Matt and I plan to do the Great Loop and cruise for several years.**It will be a few years until we GET to that point, but we've started looking at our stuff with an eye towards figuring out what we are or aren't going to take with us.* We aren't pack rats by any means but we aren't going to need*all this stuff from an 1100 sq ft condo*on a 35 foot trawler.* We aren't planning on coming back to where we currently live.*

So the question, what do we do with our "stuff" we aren't taking?***

Do people generally get rid of everything,*have a storage unit somewhere, or perhaps still have a residence with some stuff stored in it? *I have heard the suggestion to buy a condo/ house*in a good vacation rental market and leave the "can't part with it" stuff locked up in a storage closet there.*

Thoughts?* thanks!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Gradually preparing to take the Plunge

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

we aren't going to need*all this stuff from an 1100 sq ft condo*on a 35 foot trawler.*
Coincidentally, that's to*be my housing-to-boat ratio.

Once you figure out the cost of shipping and storing versus buying new stuff, it might surprise you how much you should get rid of.* Maybe you'll want something new when you return anyway.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
TF Site Team

I'm really leaning towards getting rid of everything.* * I've heard enough stories of people getting into their storage unit after ten years and getting rid of everything they've been paying $$$ a month to store!

But interested in what others have done!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Jennifer:* Lena and I moved on the water in 1997.* We sent some boxes to a relative in San Diego to store for us.* They mostly contained pictures, nick-knacks and things that are near and dear to us.* Not very much.* We did box a few things like some dress clothes and*shoes .* Furniture and appliances where given a way or sold.

We opened up the boxes in 2005 and had a few good laughs.* The suit and shoes for some reason didn't fit.

Even the tools that I wish I had kept, were cheaper to replace when we came back than*to pay for storage.* If you have a good*friend with a barn or a relative in the area, they*may be of some help.

If you're keeping the condo and renting it, you could keep an "owners" closet.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Doc
Guru

We sold everything and got a storage unit in anticipation a long cruise. Turns out it lasted 12 years. When we moved off the boat two years ago we owned exactly one lamp. The cost of replacing everything we had sold from a 3 bedroom house to refurnishing a new to us 3 bedroom house was in the 50-60 k range. This did not include any appliances. Just TV's, chairs, couchs, desks, beds, dressers, dining room set, etc.

I don't have any idea what the bill for storage of our old furniture would have been for 12 years, plus it would have*had to be shipped from Galveston Co. to SW Florida.

As we travelled we went through a series of storage rooms depending upon how long we would be staying somewhere. Everything would fit in the back of an F-150 with a fiberglass cap.

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 13th of January 2011 02:33:09 PM

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 13th of January 2011 02:33:39 PM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

get rid of everything. you will feel so simple/better
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
albin43 wrote:

get rid of everything. you will feel so simple/better
I must agree. If you won't use it for a year, get rid of it. Keep it simple.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
FF
Guru

plus it would have had to be shipped from Galveston Co. to SW Florida.

Usually a waste of cash as the "northern" furniture just looks horrible in the different Florida light.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Just curious,* Where would you start the Loop? and how would you get the boat there?* Over land or by Sea?

I think if we were to down size from the dirt house to a condo, we would be good to go. But I have to check with the Admiral.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #10

you could start right from where you are,and go right up the hudson riv and into the locks.go right out barnaget inlet
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

Just curious,* Where would you start the Loop? and how would you get the boat there?* Over land or by Sea?

I think if we were to down size from the dirt house to a condo, we would be good to go. But I have to check with the Admiral.
We'd ship the boat out.* I am thinking of starting in Alabama but definitely the gulf coast.**We've some friends from here*who did it and decided not to come*back. *I am leaving here with the intention of not coming back!*
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

JohnP wrote:

We'd ship the boat out.* I am thinking of starting in Alabama but definitely the gulf coast.**We've some friends from here*who did it and decided not to come*back. *I am leaving here with the intention of not coming back!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Thats what I like! An open ended adventure.*

In that case everything goes, besides your boat will truely be your home.** Sounds like you guys will have a great time- Enjoy!

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 14th of January 2011 11:23:26 AM

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 14th of January 2011 11:24:13 AM

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 14th of January 2011 11:25:05 AM
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

In that case everything goes, besides your boat will truely be your home.** Sounds like you guys will have a great time- Enjoy!
There isn't much that I won't take on the boat that I would have a hard time parting with.* LOL.* Maybe photos.* If there is just a super small amount of stuff*we can't let go of maybe I can get my parents to stow it in their spare room in their house in NC.*
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

JohnP wrote:

There isn't much that I won't take on the boat that I would have a hard time parting with.* LOL.* Maybe photos.* If there is just a super small amount of stuff*we can't let go of maybe I can get my parents to stow it in their spare room in their house in NC.*

********** Pineapple,* Just wondering, are you originally from the East Coast?* JEP

Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

********** Pineapple,* Just wondering, are you originally from the East Coast?* JEP
I'm a second generation native Californian.**My family moved from San Jose, CA to NC when*I was 13.* As an adult I*moved*from NC->TN->VA->NC->OH->CA.**I would move back to NC in a heartbeat.* My parents are still there, obviously.*
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

JohnP wrote:

I'm a second generation native Californian.**My family moved from San Jose, CA to NC when*I was 13.* As an adult I*moved*from NC->TN->VA->NC->OH->CA.**I would move back to NC in a heartbeat.* My parents are still there, obviously.*

********** Wow,** It is nice to be near your folks.*Where ever you land up, sounds like you will pick a good spot.** JEP

Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

A California boat stopped in Houma, Louisiana a couple of months ago on the way to start the Loop. It had been trucked from South California to South Texas, they got to see more of the Northern Gulf Coast that way.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

We moved from a house (and acreage) into a bus and now onto the boat.* Initially we sold or gave away everything that wouldn't fit into an 18 foot cube van but after a year of that Canadian residency requirements and US Homeless Insecurity hassles persuaded us to buy a small piece of property again.* That's now our residence and storage location.* I think the more important advice for someone contemplating this nomadic existence is to remain completely flexible.* Right now I actually know what I will be doing on Tuesday but typically a week is long range planning for us.* You and your partner both need to be onside with that or it clearly won't work.* We're extremely lucky that both of us are OK with that situation and we have deliberately arranged our working lives to take advantage of our fluid scheduling and mobility.* Not everybody would be suited to that though.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I like your style, PG!!!!

My suggestion would be to ship to the Galveston/Houston area. There is a huge boating community here with all of the resources you will need to get your boat (re)prepared for your journey. *You will likely meet lifelong friends here regardless of how short your stay is....

My other suggestion, which I don't think applies to you but it might, is to keep a residence SOMEWHERE that you can call home. I know many people have a hard time just cutting the strings and going with no place to call home. It sounds like you won't have this problem since you are the gung ho one on here. But I am not looking past your spouse. Just the idea that you have a landside "plan B" makes some people feel better. Anyway, just my .02.

-- Edited by Baker on Sunday 16th of January 2011 12:03:45 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

When we first left for Alaska on our boat, we rented out our house.* I put everything I wanted to save in a 40ft shipping container(that I owned) on the side of the house. Upon our return, a year later to inspect the house I discovered the renters had destroyed it.* Renters were evicted, house renovated and sold.* The new owners agreed to allow storage of the container for one year as a condition of the sale.* About 15 months later, they wanted it OUT.* Originally I had planned to simply ship the container to where ever I landed, but since I was living on my boat in Alaska that wasn't going to work.* It turned out to be a big problem, and if I had to do it again, I would simply get rid of as much as possible. The cost to store and ship can quickly exceed the worth of most things. Even with free storage, things can change and disrupt your cruise...........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote