Old 10-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens
Vessel Name: Southern Joy
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Europa
getting 80 pound dog aboard

Looking for ways to get my 80 lb 12 year old chocolate lab on board. SHe will not walk a ramp and she is to heavy for me to lift on and off the grand banks. was thinking of some sort of rope and pulley thing attached to some sort of dog sling to swing her on board but have no idea how. Love to hear some successful ideas. THanks

dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. We have a 85 pound Lab now and before Radar, we had Buddy who was a 122 pound Lab. With Buddy I bought a set of steps and tried to get him on through the side door, no way he would do it even with his favorite treats. Finally made a ramp to go from the dock to the swim platform. First try he walked aboard like it was nothing. With Radar I built a ramp to go up to our sundeck. It was aluminum and a bit slippery so I had it sprayed with Linex bedliner and he will go up and down it easily with a treat. I got tired of lifting the ramp up and down so now we just put the boarding ladder on the side of the boat. I lift his front feet up onto the top step and grab him around the belly and tell him to go and as he jumps I give his back end a boost and he goes right on. We have a PFD for him that wraps around his belly and velcros together. It has 2 handles to lift him. We have a crane on our swim platform for lifting the outboard on and off the dinghy. I was planning to maybe use it to lift him aboard with the PFD, we bought an Outboard Bound Kyjen PFD. Good luck getting your dog onboard, it isnít fun leaving them behind.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

City: New York
Deck Crane?
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Its a problem for us as well. Our lab is 100 plus # and 10 years old and not as agile as before. With our boat being high on the transom, when getting out of the skiff, I coach him to walk over to where the single transom step is and he puts his front paws on it, then I have to lift him up and over the rail to deck. Its a pain, but its still doable, though for how much longer I don't know, a kennel is starting to sound good.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
I've been considering this for our aging Pointers.

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Solvi...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramp.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	94774  
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
We have a seven year old, 105 lb chocolate lab. Ran into the same problem. A serious pain to lift her four feet above the cockpit to put her on the aft deck and she refused to be lifted to bring her back down. Ended up spending $2000 for custom built stairs. Now, she goes up and down with no problem. Might be a solution for you, some sort of custom stairs on the back.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #7

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
What does your deck layout look like? We have direct step-up access to our wide-ish side decks, so the dog (55lb Standard Poodle, previously my parents' 65lb Golden Retriever) just jumps between the boat and the dock. The jump up onto the boat took a little getting used to, but both figured it out pretty quickly and easily.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post

It wasnít easy, but we trained our 115-lb male Ridgeback to use a ramp after I tore a rotator cuff lifting him onto our sundeck. Lifting a large struggling dog is dangerous!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47C2836B-99A7-4914-BC1D-969E3F13F367.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	94775  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post

Nice looking ramp.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
What does your deck layout look like? We have direct step-up access to our wide-ish side decks, so the dog (55lb Standard Poodle, previously my parents' 65lb Golden Retriever) just jumps between the boat and the dock. The jump up onto the boat took a little getting used to, but both figured it out pretty quickly and easily.
At our house we have a 3 step high boarding platform built into the dock. Radar goes in and out constantly. We have mooring whips that hold the boat about 4í or so off the dock. Radar is fearless and jumps the 4 to 5í without hesitation. I worry about the time he misses but so far he has not missed. At other docks when he gets off he steps on to the top step of the boarding ladder and then jumps the rest of the way. Also a bit scary but he doesnít seem to give it a thought. Getting back on at other docks I give him a boost and he goes up easily.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
It wasnít easy, but we trained our 115-lb male Ridgeback to use a ramp after I tore a rotator cuff lifting him onto our sundeck. Lifting a large struggling dog is dangerous!
thanks for great feedback seems I am not the first to have this problem. My Cockpit is not accessible via the swim platform except by steps which my Lab will not go up or down. I will work on the rope and pulley idea some more and best current option seems to be training a 12 year old arthretic dog to walk the ramp I have.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
thanks for great feedback seems I am not the first to have this problem. My Cockpit is not accessible via the swim platform except by steps which my Lab will not go up or down. I will work on the rope and pulley idea some more and best current option seems to be training a 12 year old dog to walk the ramp I have.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Guru

We have a crane on our transom that we could pick up Radar with, maybe. I will post a photo of it. However I have not tried it so I am not really sure it will work. Radar is pretty trusting of me doing thing so he might do it. He does like his PFD because we give him treats when we put it on him. I then pick him up and carry him around. He tolerates it because of the treats. He is bery food driven.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	82FD753F-D987-408E-8468-BEFA6EAFD309.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	94776  
Old 10-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I built an aluminum ramp like the link above for my last lab when she got old. She made it to 14. I mount it sideways on the swim platform with some detachable legs. Current young lab jumps from the dock to the swim platform and usually bypasses the ramp and jumps the 4' to the deck. I also have a ramp that attaches to the swim platform going into the water so she can get out when we're anchored. Also great for divers.
I've trained several balky dogs to climb a ramp or stairs. The first time, maybe couple times, you have to force the timid ones. I use a loop of line behind their butt along with their leash. Like training a horse to lead. Sometimes you can just get behind them and push.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We have a seven year old, 105 lb chocolate lab. Ran into the same problem. A serious pain to lift her four feet above the cockpit to put her on the aft deck and she refused to be lifted to bring her back down. Ended up spending $2000 for custom built stairs. Now, she goes up and down with no problem. Might be a solution for you, some sort of custom stairs on the back.

John

Please post a pic of your custom dog stairs. And the fabricator. We have an 85 lb aging lab we don't want to leave at home. The previous boat had a transom door which made it east. A ramp from the dock to the swim step, or a hop from the dinghy. Easy peasy. Not so with the current boat
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dk. Welcome aboard. https://frommfamily.com/products/dog...nagement-gold/
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I love dogs. I'd never boat with one.

It seems to me that just as we select a boat to match our own physical limitations as we age, it would make sense to pick a boat that would match our dogs physical limitations as they age.

I would be very concerned about depending on a block and tackle with harness to get a large dog on and off the boat. I can see too many ways the dog could become injured as it is something that would have to be done at least a couple times a day.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Leave at a kennel or pet resort.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I built an aluminum ramp like the link above for my last lab when she got old. She made it to 14. I mount it sideways on the swim platform with some detachable legs. Current young lab jumps from the dock to the swim platform and usually bypasses the ramp and jumps the 4' to the deck. I also have a ramp that attaches to the swim platform going into the water so she can get out when we're anchored. Also great for divers.
I've trained several balky dogs to climb a ramp or stairs. The first time, maybe couple times, you have to force the timid ones. I use a loop of line behind their butt along with their leash. Like training a horse to lead. Sometimes you can just get behind them and push.
thanks will be persistent at training her to do the ramp
Old 10-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
Please post a pic of your custom dog stairs. And the fabricator. We have an 85 lb aging lab we don't want to leave at home. The previous boat had a transom door which made it east. A ramp from the dock to the swim step, or a hop from the dinghy. Easy peasy. Not so with the current boat
love to see pic of your custom built stairs thanks