Old 05-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

City: Stuart, FL
Drain starboard fresh water tank

I just purchased a 40’ Marine Trader trawler. Even in her 2015 survey, it was listed that she had a slight list to starboard. I will be figuring out how to level her, but an easy fix would be to drain that tank but I can’t find where to do it. Anyone know where that’s done on this model?

TIA
scottdog129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Maybe just run a faucet and draw the tanks down. Then just refill the other tank. However there may be a crossover between the tanks that would have to be shut so that it doesn’t siphon fill the starboard tank.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Fill both water tanks to the top and your fuel tanks. If you still have a list, you will have to add ballast to correct it. Without filling the tanks you cannot be certain. I balance my boat with 25# bags of reclaimed lead shot purchased from a gun store. It's much less expensive than buying lead ingots. Plus, it's relatively easy to move them around. I put them in places where it is impossible for them to shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdog129 View Post
I just purchased a 40’ Marine Trader trawler. Even in her 2015 survey, it was listed that she had a slight list to starboard. I will be figuring out how to level her, but an easy fix would be to drain that tank but I can’t find where to do it. Anyone know where that’s done on this model?

TIA
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
I move the kayak, toolbox, dive tanks, etc to which side needs it. I dont like bringing lead on board for ballast. Boats heavy enough.
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Lists can be a big pain to correct. SOme boats sit reasonably level at one loading but not at another. Some boats are better balanced from the builder than others and stay that way untill an owner upsets things with additions.

Removing water for one tank may work short term but not likely long term as draw down differences will reproduce the effect since that is what has likely caused the effect.

Fuel useage and return can affect trim as can water useage.

For both the water and the fuel with two tanks each the draw may not be equal so one tank supplies more than 50% of the draw. Hose sizes can affect the draw as a small and longer hose will present more resistance to flow so that tank will draw down less.

Trim tabs, even small ones on our boats, can help reduce or eliminate a list while running. They may not be much use for anything else but I have found mine will do that. If you have them try them out.

Don't be in a great tear to eliminate a list immediately as what ever you do may not be whatever is needed untill you have loaded the boat and observed what it does with full tanks and fully loaded. Often parts, tools and supplies can be used to effect changes. If that still doesn't do enough then ballast may be needed.

And even if you do start now do not be in a big rush to make a bunch of changes. Even internal stuff which can effect changes in trim of the tanks contents will take time for any balance tube to allow the tanks to adjust.

For some of my experimenting I used several 5 gal. buckets filled with water to see what happened.

Eventually I did add some lead ingots but again I tried one less than I thought I would need untill I proved I needed another.

Unfortunately we can only suggest possibilities as each boat is different.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote